Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 20th, 2024, 2:03am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Testosterone anyone? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Testosterone anyone?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Testosterone anyone?  (Read 4987 times)
jocojo
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Testosterone anyone?
« on: Sep 13th, 2005, 8:27am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Testosterone anyone?

I have been reading about testosterone and estrogen in men and women and being a chronic CH myself I am wondering if anyone has tried or heard of hormone therapy?

I know is a long shot but I've got to try anything besides my 8 - 16 aspirin cocktail daily.

I get CH almost daily since I can remember usually at 3:00am and 12:00-2:00 pm sometimes at 5:00-7:00 pm as well.

My son is 10 and it looks like he may be well on his way.

Thank Daren for your welcome message, I particularly loove what you wrote:

In some kind of awkward way, it kind of makes it that much easier when a co-worker finds out that you have a problem with headaches and says "yeah, I get REALLY BAD headaches too... it's so bad, I have to go lay down for a couple of hours till it goes away". You want to jab an ice pick in their temple, wiggle it around for a while, and say "really? Does it feel like this? No? Mine do! So don't talk to me about how bad off you have it! I'll tell you what, the next time a cluster wakes me up at 2 am, I'll give you a call and you can drive me to the hospital while I bash my head on your dashboard for a while!!!!". Sorry, I'm getting a little carried away here, hehehe.

Jose
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

Re: Testosterone anyone?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 13th, 2005, 8:51am »

Quote:
Testosterone anyone?

No thanks...I think I already have too much. Just kidding. Welcome Jose and sorry you had to find us. I doubt that hormone therapy will help any. I can tell you that too many aspirin may make things worse. NSAIDS can cause "rebound" or medication overuse headaches. Here is a list of meds used to treat CH. Print it out and take it to your dr.
http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf

Have you tried oxygen? It works very well for many of us. Look here for proper administraion tips.
http://www.maplefallswebdesign.com/misc/oxygen/oxygen.htm

I'm very sorry to hear that your 10 year old may have CH.   Cry   This is hard enough for adults to deal with. Learn all you can here. Read, ask questions and ask for support if needed. You can better fight this (for you and your child) if you are well informed.
Pain free wishes, nani
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 13th, 2005, 8:56am »

Quote:
Use of testosterone in the treatment of cluster headache.

Klimek A

The study was carried out on 15 men suffering from the episodic form (12 patients) and the chronic one (3 patients) of cluster headache. Before treatment the patients did not receive any drugs, and after determining the index of attacks the treatment was commenced. For 7-10 days patients were given testosteronum propionicum (25 mg) once a day intramuscularly, and then for the same period of time testosterone (10 mg). Before treatment the index of attacks was 3.66 (total number of attacks three hundred eight). In the 1st week of treatment the index decreased to 1.11 (total number of attacks 94) and to 0.16 in the 2nd week. In 3 patients with the chronic form of cluster headache testosterone was ineffective.

There may be something to this since I've noticed that the women who claim to have clusters also have whiskers.
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2005, 10:15am by Bob P » IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #3 on: Sep 13th, 2005, 9:09am »

on Sep 13th, 2005, 8:56am, Bob P wrote:

I've noticed that the women who claim to have clusters also have whiskers.

Tongue
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
jocojo
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Sep 13th, 2005, 9:10am »

That was quick, thank you for the helpful info.  I will have a hormone test in a few weeks (I just found a local quack that can do it) meanwhile as soon as I can get an oxygen prescription I will strat that treatment.  I have no local doctor since I don't like them so I may need to find one that I can bribe Smiley

Is there any dificulty in getting an oxygen prescription online?

Seriously there has not been a week in my life that I have not suffered from CH.  My last outbreak was last Tuesday and that lasted until Saturday.  I have not had one since but the day is young.

You now what is funny and I wonder if anyone else has this.  Many times at the end of an episode I sneeze and within just minutes is all gone.  I am so happy when I feel a sneeze coming on.  I will even provoke my sneeze but that usually does not work.
IP Logged
pattik
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

northcolor4  

« Reply #5 on: Sep 13th, 2005, 9:12am »

There may be something to this since I've noticed that the women who claim to have clusters also have whiskers.

Shut up, Bob Tongue
IP Logged

The voyage of discovery is not about seeking new landscapes, it's about having new eyes--Marcel Proust
floridian

Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 13th, 2005, 12:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Strangely, both testosterone and anti-testosterone medications have been shown to help prevent clusters.

http://www.med-owl.com/clusterheadaches/tiki-index.php?page=Testosterone
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Sep 13th, 2005, 12:12pm »

Quote:
Strangely, both testosterone and anti-testosterone medications have been shown to help prevent clusters.

But will any of it help man boobs?
IP Logged

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Ree
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

2008's my year to shine~SUN IS OUT!!!YAY

64720087 64720087   Reespirit   Ree16Angel
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Sep 13th, 2005, 12:20pm »

OH OH  Bob that is a comment a-waiting for some flaming....
My husband also looks like a girl to me sometimes... He is the prettiest one in the house.... so whats the deal do you guys have too much testosterone which except for the snappyness doesnt seem like its Dave....or do you have too little testosterone..... which makes sense to me.... for our situation here... I probably have more testosterone than my hubby.....and if you tell him I said that I will deny deny deny~~~~~ ree
IP Logged

Proud Mom to US ARMY Kiowa OH58 PILOT~CWO2 SCOTT Hawaii, & USMC Vet~Now POLICE OFFICER SEAN, Citizen of the Month~ Breezy~ Nana 4 Matt/Mike&Aya, MIL To Shino Wife to Dave HI BILL!http://www.myspace.com/dungareespockethttp://www.prohawaiian.com
brainfreeze
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Sep 13th, 2005, 3:54pm »

I've tried female hormone therapy. We extra dosed on the progesterone along with the estrogen (birth control).  It failed after giving it a 3 month try although I was chronic at the time.  I took estrogen for 25 years with breaks inbetween for pregnancies.  

It would be interesting to know how many women with CH used birth control patches, pills, shots affecting the hormone balances.  I've pondered the idea that using extra amounts of estrogen may have caused the onset on CH in women.

I don't think I'd sign up for the testosterone study.  I haven't the equipment to support such a study.  Grin

IP Logged

Susan
ozzy
New Board Old Timer
USA 

As I Am

WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Sep 14th, 2005, 10:01am »

About a month and half ago I took for four weeks an OTC (Supplement) Aromatase Inhibitor, which basically supresses Estrogen and increases Testosterone production.

Well it works, but I have increasing suspicions that this was a reason  or the reason why Kudzu stopped being effective. Granted we are not talking HRT (Hormone Replacement Therapy) here but something a little less understood that involves the hypothalamus (in the case of the Aromatase Inhibitor).

I hope this helps someone.

Ozzy
IP Logged
rextangle

Email

« Reply #11 on: Sep 14th, 2005, 4:35pm »

on Sep 13th, 2005, 8:27am, jocojo wrote:
Testosterone anyone?
I know is a long shot but I've got to try anything besides my 8 - 16 aspirin cocktail daily.

Jose

Man, I'd check with a doctor about that amount of aspirin.
If you get a nose bleed, it may require a visit to the ER to stop it. I know someone who ended up with serious problems from too much aspirin... be careful!
IP Logged
Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #12 on: Sep 14th, 2005, 5:20pm »

Boy... That's ALL ch'ers need: A heightened libido... Holy cow....  Shocked laugh Lips Sealed
IP Logged

Her: "Have you ever hit a deer?"
Me: "What, like, in the FACE?"
Her: ..... "WHAT is the MATTER with you!?"
Chillrmn1

Email

« Reply #13 on: Sep 14th, 2005, 5:56pm »

Hey Bob P, May I suggest you do a little more thorough checking on the women you've been meeting out in Vegas? Wink

Bob
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Sep 14th, 2005, 6:24pm »

No Bob.  That's BobG who lives in Vegas.  I'm on the central coast of California.  Here they have whiskers and adam's apples.
IP Logged

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Chillrmn1

Email

« Reply #15 on: Sep 14th, 2005, 6:26pm »

LOL
IP Logged
Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #16 on: Sep 14th, 2005, 8:53pm »

on Sep 14th, 2005, 4:35pm, rextangle wrote:

Man, I'd check with a doctor about that amount of aspirin.
If you get a nose bleed, it may require a visit to the ER to stop it. I know someone who ended up with serious problems from too much aspirin... be careful!

Yep. It's called epistaxis, and it is a medical emergency. (so Rex, you're only allowed to dig in your nostril up to the first knuckle. The second and third are off-limits)  
 Grin
IP Logged

Her: "Have you ever hit a deer?"
Me: "What, like, in the FACE?"
Her: ..... "WHAT is the MATTER with you!?"
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

sumday I'm gonna be sumbody........ ..

Email

« Reply #17 on: Sep 14th, 2005, 10:47pm »

I read over 80 mg's a day of asprin can cause serious internal bleeding in the brain.....where ever. I remember kids tryin to commit suicide back in high school takeing about 10 asprin. Droppin dead is easy to do Pam
IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

ShootMePlz
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #18 on: Dec 20th, 2005, 6:52am »

I've been lurking around these boards for years now and have never felt the need to post as I'm just restating everything that everyone else is always stating.  HOWEVER,  when I saw this post I had to write.

I'm not exactly sure what the balance is between hormones and CH because at this point my brain is much from all the reading and information I've tried to take in.  What I can say is I did not suffer my first cycle until 1998 - 30 days AFTER having surgically induced menopause at 28.  I was started right away on hormone replacement therapy (Estrogen & Test) and have suffered every two years with CH since.

I am currently mid-cycle of the worse attack yet and I have to say... I stopped taking the hormones thinking there was a link and all it did was make me even more miserable.  Nothing like getting hot flashes with CH.

(Please don't rip my grammer & spelling apart... the eyes are tired and the head is sore...... and sleep is nowhere in site)

IP Logged
richcurtin
New Board Newbie
Noflag 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #19 on: Dec 25th, 2007, 1:27am »

I did. I started to get CH daily since March. At least two per day. Anytime I went to the gym it would trigger an attack. Since I started the testosterone I can go to the gym and do my regular workout with triggering a headache.
IP Logged
vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

« Reply #20 on: Dec 25th, 2007, 1:39am »

you dug up a post from 05.  Why?

Potter
IP Logged

Kill em all let God sort em out
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss