Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 7:33am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Some tips from a 15 yr chronic sufferer »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Some tips from a 15 yr chronic sufferer
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Some tips from a 15 yr chronic sufferer  (Read 614 times)
RalphCluserMan
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Some tips from a 15 yr chronic sufferer
« on: Sep 15th, 2005, 3:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Forgive me if you all know this stuff. I just found the site and I haven't read through the whole board. I've suffered from severe clusters for 15 years and I've come up with a method for dealing with an attack that has literally saved my life. It may help some of you. Drugs never worked for me and I've tried just about all of them. 02 helped but was no cure and way too much of a hassle.

During an attack/ when you feel an attack coming on:

Get your heart rate up fast - then take your index finger and find the carotid artery in your neck on the side of the pain and press on it to restrict the blood flow into your eye (you'll feel it pulse if your heart rate is up). When you find the right spot - and apply the right pressure - you'll feel instant relief. The spot for me is usually a few inches below my jaw. Don't press too hard and keep letting up so you don't knock yourself out... Once you find the spot you'll know in seconds.

Eat something - anything force it in you. Get you blood to flow to your abdomen.

Sleep near an open window if you can. Fresh air seems to make a difference.

You know about the foods to avoid I assume. So I won't repeat them.

I hope this helps some of you...
IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

Re: Some tips from a 15 yr chronic sufferer
« Reply #1 on: Sep 15th, 2005, 7:15pm »

Hi Ralph,

Welcome to the board and the crazy but loveable family.

I'm so sorry for your long period of chronic suffering and glad you found some way to relieve your pain.  We all have certain "tricks of the trade" so to speak.

I've tried the one you spoke of.  Unfortunately, it only made my CHA's worse.  Sometimes, pressing directly on the temporal artery brings temporary relief for me also, but sometimes makes it worse.  Go figure ...

However, I would worry about newbies trying your method a little, since you're basically cutting off blood supply to half your brain.  Could be a little dangerous unless you know exactly what to do and when.  However, I'm glad it works for you.  

PF Wishes,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Kate in Oz
New Board Old Timer
Australia 

339600790 339600790    

« Reply #2 on: Sep 15th, 2005, 7:39pm »

Hey Ralph,

I know what you're talkin' about.  Many years ago I went to a chiropractor in the hope of some relief and he would do what you say and it worked!!!  a couple of times  Undecided  I would go and see him in desperation - it was the only thing I'd found that could stop the pain..  I thought I'd found the 'cure'.... but then I too found it could make it worse or not work at all.  

Having said all that I am really really happy that it works for you.    

My cure now?? the 02  Smiley  

PFDAN to you,

Kate
IP Logged
Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 16th, 2005, 6:52am »

I've never heard of pressing the carotid artery. That's great! Next time I'm in cycle, I'll definitely give it a try. What foods do you avoid? Thank you.
IP Logged

Her: "Have you ever hit a deer?"
Me: "What, like, in the FACE?"
Her: ..... "WHAT is the MATTER with you!?"
RalphCluserMan
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Sep 16th, 2005, 8:36am »

I avoid anything with MSG and free Glutamate - here is a good list I happened upon yesterday when I also happened to find this site:

http://www.msgtruth.org/avoid.htm

I also avoid salt. I haven't touched Alcohol since they started 15 years ago.  

Years ago I saw a well known Doc who was the head of a well known HA Hospital in Boston. He said, "avoid anything that's cheap and tasty" - Good rule of thumb.

I also try to avoid overly dusty places without good airflow - having a constant supply of fresh air is very important which is why I keep the windows open in my bedroom (even in winter).

IP Logged
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #5 on: Sep 16th, 2005, 8:46am »

Shit ralph, if I followed that advice I'd put a serious crimp into my "quality of life", or at least my enjoyment of life.  Cool Glad it works for you but my cycle will come anyway, and I always feel my reward for having to put up with these things is that I get to live it up a little when i'mk not in cycle. they'll have to pry the beer and salted panters nuts out of my cold dead hands......

laugh
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
RalphCluserMan
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Sep 16th, 2005, 8:57am »

You sound luck you are lucky seasonalboomer - one beer will trigger a CHA for me within 1 - 2 hours. Salted nuts (which can also contain MSG in addition to salt) can trigger one within 1 hour or not until I am about to reach REM sleep. Either way, for me, they are guaranteed triggers. For me, the real quality of life destroyer is intense pain and lack of sleep (sometimes for days).

Maybe in your case you can just avoid them during your cycle and shorten it and/or reduce their intensity. Something to think about...

IP Logged
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #7 on: Sep 16th, 2005, 9:20am »

lucky i am. my CH is a clearly delinieated jekyll & hyde experience. when i'm in cycle i avod all triggers (including yours), when I'm not I get to do all those bad things with no worries. lucky me.

you mentioned O2 as being a hassle, which i no longer agree with. I would think scouring every food label and clearing the house of all you've listed, leaving you with only non-processed oatmeal and bottled water to eat would be more of hassle. once you get O2, I find it to be pretty hassle free.

scott
IP Logged

seasonal boomer
RalphCluserMan
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Sep 16th, 2005, 12:43pm »

Hassle for me. Big tank mask, falling asleep with it on, deliveries, cost, etc, and it didn't help fast enough or good enough for me.

Anyway, I found if you get your heart rate up with the O2 it works faster. (I used to jog in place with the mask on). That lead to just getting the heart rate up and pressing on the carotid which saved my life. Now, when I feel one coming on, (you know how you get very attuned to it)  no matter where I am or what I'm doing I can control it and even prevent a full blown episode.

After a while you just know what to avoid for foods - cheap and tasty... I don't eat bland by any means and I don't totally avoid all processed foods. There are degrees to everything. Something are a guarantee (like beer or anything with a ton of MSG in it) and some things are borderline. After 15 years you figure it out.

That and good fresh air (I also found the Ionic Breeze air cleaner to be effective)....

Again, I am a chronic sufferer which means I can get them anytime any place and several time a day. Too often people like me wind up taking the permanent way out... Thank goodness I found a solution. It's not a 100% but it's not as horrific a condition as it once was.
IP Logged
rextangle

Email

« Reply #9 on: Sep 16th, 2005, 1:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Thank you Ralph and welcome to the board. I'm chronic too and your tips may help me too... I'll try pushing on my carotid tonight and see if that helps.
Take care,
Rex
IP Logged
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #10 on: Sep 16th, 2005, 4:02pm »

Hi Ralph!

Warm welcome to the family! Smiley
I'm glad you found us!

I'm a chronic too... My ch has been in remission since April (touch wood) and I reached that thanks to verpamil. But I like to survive without meds and if ch decides to come back one day, I'll give your tip a go.

Now, I checked your list of things you avoid. Basically I've been avoiding same things without realising it. I changed my eating habits about 16 months ago and it made a huge impact in my life in many ways. I believe that it had a say in sending ch into remission in my case, too.  

I've never been much of a drinker, but I've noticed that even few sips of alcohol can trigger ch for me, so I avoid it all together. Some salty snacks trigger my ch under some conditions, but not always. Since I've never eaten them that much, it was easy to give them up as well.  
Drinking cold water or taking a warm shower can trigger ch for me. So does chewing gum and some exotic smells. But when and why persicely, that one is a difficult question to reply as it doesn't happen every time.

Anyways, I wish that you stay around.  

Wishing you lots of PF days,
Sanna Smiley
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

stevema
New Board Newbie
China 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #11 on: Oct 2nd, 2005, 3:21pm »

what i find interesting is how many of us come up with similar or identical strategies and pain aversion / abortion techniques.  I also find that fresh air is desirable.  I run to get heart rate up.  I avoid msg and alcohol, completely.
IP Logged
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #12 on: Oct 2nd, 2005, 4:20pm »

on Sep 16th, 2005, 8:36am, RalphCluserMan wrote:
He said, "avoid anything that's cheap and tasty" - Good rule of thumb.

That's me to a tee - I go for the expensive, shi++y tasting stuff. Grin
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss