Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 6:04am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « TCM   Traditional Chinese Medicine »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   TCM   Traditional Chinese Medicine
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: TCM   Traditional Chinese Medicine  (Read 1515 times)
stevema
New Board Newbie
China 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

TCM   Traditional Chinese Medicine
« on: Sep 27th, 2005, 9:54am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I came to China over ten years ago and am unfortunately able to confirm that the beast lives here too !  During a cycle in '99, I went to a Chinese doctor (Chinese doctors are divided between western and traditional Chinese medicine - I saw a western doc) and he gave me prednisone.  I did not fill the script.

Around the same time I had a friend who recommended a TCM doctor and he did some acupuncture, which worked a bit but he wasn't that expert at it and the results were mixed.

This last cycle, I waited until they got really bad and recently found a really good acupuncturist, he is the Director of the Acupuncture Center of the local TCM Traditional Chinese Medicine hospital here.  The first time I went I could tell he knew what he was doing, he put the needles in quite professionally.  Then he hooked up an electrical current to a few of the needles (like in the neck and head - total number of needles including leg and arm around 6 or 7).  The pulse of the current causes the muscles to twitch and it is pretty freaky BUT I think it has helped a bit.  I have had 2 hospital visits so far and the frequency of attacks has decreased.  TCM is renowned for working slowly as it is natural and takes a while to kick in.  I am drinking some herbal meds also and they taste nasty but, I also believe in them.  I have had very good experience with Chinese medicine for skin ailments, colds and now it seems for CH.  If you are willing to try new things, I recommend it to anyone.

Note, if you do seek TCM treatment in any country, make sure the doctor is experienced and qualified...some are not.  And I think that he/she should be Chinese, but a Westerner will do if no other choice.  Same is true in China, you've gotta get a good doctor to begin with.
IP Logged
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

Re: TCM   Traditional Chinese Medicine
« Reply #1 on: Sep 27th, 2005, 10:19am »

on Sep 27th, 2005, 9:54am, stevema wrote:
I am drinking some herbal meds also and they taste nasty but, I also believe in them.

good luck and it's interesting...
but now you don't know which is helping; the herbs, or the needles, it could even be your episode trailing away...
control the experiment
« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2005, 1:12pm by vig » IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
stevema
New Board Newbie
China 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Sep 27th, 2005, 10:28am »

yes, i see your point and in fact i am almost at the 4 week period and i am an episodic with history of 4 week cluster cycles, so it could be the end anyway.  That said, I do strongly believe in the efficacy of TCM especially acupuncture, but how and when and why it works, I am unsure.  I do know that it doesn't hurt, so why not give it a try is how I see it.  If it makes you feel better, hallelujah !  I wish I had a more scientific study for you.  Anyone have anything on this?
IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 27th, 2005, 10:39am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Read the threads on kudzu here. Many people have had good results. It is used in TCM for headache, neckache, allergies and tinnitus, among other things.  

http://www.med-owl.com/clusterheadaches/tiki-index.php?page=Kudzu

Chinese Angelica Tang Kuei (Dang Qai) is also used for migraine, might help with clusters - not sure.  

Lots of people have tried acupuncture - the large majority saw no improvement.
« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2005, 10:42am by floridian » IP Logged
stevema
New Board Newbie
China 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Sep 27th, 2005, 10:49am »

thanks !
I am pretty new to posting here, and I guess there is a lot that has already been said, so first off, let me say sorry if I am too newbie and all that.
Please bear with me if you find my posts are kooky...
Like everyone here, I am just looking for that something, that elusive anything that we'd all do to stop the pain.  I definitely appreciate your input.
IP Logged
rextangle

Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 27th, 2005, 1:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Steve, welcome aboard...

You wrote:I am drinking some herbal meds also and they taste nasty but, I also believe in them...

Could you be more specific? What kind of herbal meds have you tried?

Just wondering,
Rex
IP Logged
stevema
New Board Newbie
China 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Sep 27th, 2005, 9:08pm »

Some of it , I am not sure what it is.  I trust my friend though, and she is a qualified physician.  Anyway, she advised me to take the liquid from boiling a mix of things, including the inner skin of bamboo, a type of orange peel, some roots, all together about 6 things put together.  The smell is actually nice, and if you drink the brew when hot, it is ok.  As soon as it cools though, it is a bit unpalatable.  I will ask her for more info, keep in mind that some of it may not have an English name !
I have taken brews like this for colds and flus, and they were definitely effective.  OK, will check this one out for you
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #7 on: Sep 27th, 2005, 9:33pm »

If your tea has kudzu root in it, Steve, then I'm not surprised if you're feeling a little better.
Look here (read all the links that are included):
http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=meds;action= display;num=1110584362

Accupuncture on it's own probably wont do much for the CH, but it can help you feel better overall.
JMHO
pain free wishes nani
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
stevema
New Board Newbie
China 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Oct 2nd, 2005, 3:01pm »

hi again,
well, i checked and the herbal brew does not have kudzu (ge gen) in it.
Anyway,  
Thanks for all the support guys !
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss