Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 8th, 2024, 9:14pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Headache: Another study. Jabs lead to more CH »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Headache: Another study. Jabs lead to more CH
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Headache: Another study. Jabs lead to more CH  (Read 303 times)
maria9
New Board Veteran

Headache: Another study. Jabs lead to more CH
« on: Sep 20th, 2005, 8:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hey all, here is the second study reported in the literature that indicates that jabs or imitrex injections leads to more headaches or increased frequency of headaches.

Just so you know  Wink

Headache: The Journal of Head and Face Pain
Volume 44 Issue 7 Page 713  - July 2004
doi:10.1111/j.1526-4610.2004.04132.x  

Brief Communication  
Subcutaneous Sumatriptan Induces Changes in Frequency Pattern in Cluster Headache Patients  
Paolo Rossi, MD, PhD; Giorgio Di Lorenzo, MD; Rita Formisano, MD, PhD; M. Gabriella Buzzi, MD, PhD  
Objectives.To document the relationship between the use of subcutaneous (SQ) sumatriptan (sum) and a change in frequency pattern of cluster headache (CH) in six patients. To discuss the clinical and pathophysiological implications of this observation in the context of available literature.

Background.Treatment with SQ sum may cause an increase in attack frequency of CH but data from literature are scant and controversial.

Methods.Six CH sum-naļve patients (three episodic and three chronic according to the International Headache Society (IHS) criteria) are described.

Results.All six patients had very fast relief from pain and accompanying symptoms from the drug but they developed an increase in attack frequency soon after using SQ sum. In all patients, the CH returned to its usual frequency within a few days after SQ sum was withdrawn or replaced with other drugs. Five patients were not taking any prophylactic treatment and SQ sum was the only drug prescribed to treat their headache.

Conclusions.Physicians should recognize the possibility that treatment of CH with SQ sum may be associated with an increased frequency of headache attacks.

** those who like to critique research will note the small sample size, but the results also are similar to this study:Headache: The Journal of Head and Face Pain
Volume 40 Issue 1 Page 41  - January 2000
doi:10.1046/j.1526-4610.2000.00007.x  

Alteration in Nature of Cluster Headache During Subcutaneous Administration of Sumatriptan  
Rachel Hering-Hanit, MD  
Objectives.To document the relationship between the 5-HT receptor agonist sumatriptan and a change in the nature of cluster headache in four cases. To relate the findings to the literature on the use of sumatriptan in both cluster headache and migraine.

Background.Studies of the efficacy and adverse effects of long-term treatment with sumatriptan in cluster headache are limited and report conflicting findings.

Methods.Four cases are described.

Results.All four patients developed a marked increase in the frequency of attacks 3 to 4 weeks after initiating treatment with the drug for the first time. Three patients also developed a change in headache character, and 2 experienced prolongation of the cluster headache period. Withdrawal of the drug reduced the frequency of headaches and eliminated the newly developed type of headache.

Conclusions.Determination of the effects of long-term use of sumatriptan will result in more precise guidelines for the frequency and duration of treatment with this otherwise extremely beneficial drug.

So my word to the wise: beware of the double-edged sword.  Gives some relief early on but leads to additional strife later on.

Your thoughts?

Marsha

« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2005, 8:37pm by maria9 » IP Logged

"All you have to do is the best you can. A high wave comes, a crashing wave comes, a gentle swell follows. Whatever comes, stay in your boat. And enjoy the ride. And row." Peggy Noonan
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

Re: Headache: Another study. Jabs lead to more CH
« Reply #1 on: Sep 20th, 2005, 9:33pm »

Quote:
Conclusions.Determination of the effects of long-term use of sumatriptan will result in more precise guidelines for the frequency and duration of treatment with this otherwise extremely beneficial drug.

Too small of a sample to get Glaxco to change.

Quote:
So my word to the wise: beware of the double-edged sword.  Gives some relief early on but leads to additional strife later on.

I wonder if they would conduct a study on the use of less in regards to increase in frequency of attacks.
There was a study recently on the use of less meds giving as much relief yet I am not sure if there is a correlation.

I rarely use it these days, not because of such potential but because I think its icky WinkThough if desperate I will.
I prefer to use zyprexa and or to bare knuckle with ICE.
O2 is not working the way it did.

IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 20th, 2005, 10:38pm »

My thoughts:  Don't let the insurance companies see this.  It just gives them more ammunition to withhold meds from those that do not experience this phenomena.

--- Steve
IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 21st, 2005, 3:05am »

Anyone having trouble with their insurance (or doctors here in the UK) prescribing on grounds of cost might like to quote Professor Goadsby's views

Quote:
However, in this era of a cost-conscious NHS, some practitioners are reluctant to prescribe this relatively expensive drug. We feel that, given the devastating morbidity associated with this excruciating pain syndrome, it is unethical to withhold treatment for cost reasons

I know that is directed at doctors in the UK but he is a world renowned expert and his views are valid for ALL ch'ers. See how your insurance company would like to be described as unethical - because that is EXACTLY what they are being.

The source of the above extract if you would like to see more is

http://gpinfo.ouchuk.org/

and its the hospital doctor article, I'm sorry but I can't link directly to it, for some reason the url doesn't change!

I hope that may be of help to someone
Regards
Helen

IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 21st, 2005, 8:44am »

Doesn't even need to be the jabs for me.  Tabs of trex, maxalt and frova cause my attacks to go from 2-3 a day to 6-8 attacks a day within one day of starting to take them.  Even taking 1/2 tabs does it to me.  The only one that hasn't seemed to have this effect so far is amerge.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss