Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 2:54pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « gamma knife »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   gamma knife
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: gamma knife  (Read 318 times)
jckgales
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

gamma knife
« on: Sep 21st, 2005, 4:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Has anyone heard of this procedure for the trigmineal neuroglia?  Heard it is also done for chronic clusters at about an 85% sucess rate,  am waiting for dr to call back tomorrow with info on it.
Jackie
IP Logged
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

Re: gamma knife
« Reply #1 on: Sep 21st, 2005, 5:40pm »

You sure better have exhausted all your options, as in ALL YOUR OPTIONS.............meds, therapies, alternatives, etc before you go get hacked upon. Really. I mean ALL the alternatives.
That slap-happy knife steamish is permanant. Real permanant. Non-reversable too.

Options. There are always Options.
RJ
« Last Edit: Sep 21st, 2005, 5:42pm by Mr. Happy » IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
rextangle

Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 21st, 2005, 6:18pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I agree with RJ on that one... try EVERYTHING first!

If it goes wrong, you could end up with a numb face as if you had a stroke... research please!

Good luck to you,

Rex
IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 21st, 2005, 8:31pm »

Results for CH have not been very good:

http://www.med-owl.com/clusterheadaches/tiki-index.php?page=Gamma%20Knif e
IP Logged
jckgales
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Sep 22nd, 2005, 4:43pm »

Thanks for the info on gamma knife I figured you guys would know about it. I had only read one article on it and it and it sounded encouraging but  I wanted to know all pros and cons. Im gettin real tired of this. the ha's are hitting more than at night, now messing with my work. had to take o2 to work Stadol's not working as good as it used to, zomig so expensive. going on 3rd year with no breaks, have no social life anymore it sucks.
sorry im just whinning. could be worse. thinkin maybe shrooms next. Cry
IP Logged
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 22nd, 2005, 5:23pm »

For CH, I personally wouldn't do it.  For trigeminal neuralgia - that's another story.  While both CH and TN shoot down the trigeminal nerve, they do not appear to originate from the same thing.

My roommate stood in on trigeminal rhizotomy for TN last year - really helped the lady out.

But that's still a toss up - slicing through that nerve still is a risk for facial paralysis and other problems.

Depends which is the bigger beast for you....the TN or the CH.  And I do hope that you've an excellent neurologist before you make these types of decisions!  Would never want to do it if I wasn't 100% sure of the diagnosis and possibilities.

Take care,
Carrie Smiley
IP Logged

gore2424
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Camero's "RULE"

52473361 52473361   gore2424   gore2424
Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 23rd, 2005, 9:23pm »

Hello Terry here in Davenport Iowa I have been chronic since Nov 1999 after trying 67 different meds in many combos since 1996 plus 3-8 times a month trips to ER. Sleep study done and every 3 months 3-4 days in hospital for a DHE and pain med drip treatments. I went up to Mayo clinic in Rochester Minn. in Jan. 2002 to talk to a DR about having the gamma knife done for relief of these clusters. He and the others all said that was not the way to go because not much success rate BUT he had done 5 trigeminal rhizotomy with 3 no pain for over 5 years and one with minor h/a now and one didnt help at all so after a few months of checking putor and talking with wifey and family I decided to have it done. I didnt think I would get any relief from any more meds that were out there at the time. So in May 2002 I had the operation. I had insurance that payed for all but $1,600.00 and was off work for 7 weeks (sucked on the pay they gave me at work) and only up there 5 days in hospital. So after operation without a H/A I was myself again (hardest part about the right side of my face being numb for rest of my life was learning how to eat without bitting the inside of my cheek and right side of my tongue) Plus my right eye needed drops into it every 1-3 hours to keep dirt out cause you wont feel it and once did get an eye infection that after 3 weeks they had to sew eyelid shut to get it better. BUT after almost 4 months had gone by I got a cluster headache that just almost made me do myself in they were back in full force. I was in deep depression almost lost my job and life BUT I got lucky and found a neuro that got me on the right meds (I wear a duregesic 75 fentnyl pain patch and take 3 anti depression meds and a panic attack med and even have a sleeping pill that has keept me alive ) I have been seeing this neuro since Oct 2002 and I truely believe if I didnt get the relief I have now I would not be writting this. I have had some really bad days and nights since then but the neuro also gave me 14 per month of 30mg morphine pills for the bad times. So in closing I myself if had the chance wouldnt of had the operation done if only I could go back in time but cant so life goes on for me. Terry

one last note .........................
once the right side of face being numb helped me a couple of punks down the street was harrassing my son so I went down there to talk to them of course them being under 18 I cant just kick their ass so I let them talk trash to me and I said to them ok I dont care what the law will do to me I said to them I will give the biggest one a shot at hitting me before I tear them up to dog food and let the biggest hit me in the right cheek well the ring on his finger cut me just below the eye and of course I didnt feel any pain so I wipe some blood on my hand and said ok wait a minute and light a cig and talked about what I was going to do to them after my cig was done and about when cig was half way down I said to them I better do something about the bleeding before I kill them and put out my cig on my cut you should of seen their eyes light up when I did that and of course then the folks watching them came out and called police on me cause I was threatening them so now they dont even look at me when they see me I just hold up a cig as I pass them anymore but they really think I will get them soon Ü and I will anyone want to help  Terry
IP Logged

what the hamsalad was that ¿?¿
I said your hair looks nice Ü
StressFree
New Board Veteran
USA 

James4:8 I'm a moral failure, but there is hope...

« Reply #7 on: Sep 29th, 2005, 3:42pm »

Terry,

It sounds like your neuro has you fairly well taken care of. I'd be concerned about too many different meds though. I've lost track different times on which ones/how many I'd taken in a day. That said, I sure wish I had a doctor like that here in California!!! Best of luck and prayers for all here, Rich
IP Logged
gore2424
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Camero's "RULE"

52473361 52473361   gore2424   gore2424
Email

« Reply #8 on: Sep 30th, 2005, 9:57pm »

I have no problem with meds my wifey is a CNA and i also take care of my 77 year old dad and he takes 17 different pills a day for variuos ailments and i got it charted on times dosage and he can even fill up his own pill containes now with my chart i made for him
I also have taken over 90 mg of morphine in a 24 hour period to help with the really nasty clusters neuro says i am opium tolarent but if go up to the next stronger pain patch i am a zobbie and cant even get out of bed
IP Logged

what the hamsalad was that ¿?¿
I said your hair looks nice Ü
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 1st, 2005, 2:57pm »

Before any of you think about going under the knife, PM me and lets talk about your options!

UNsolved
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss