Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 8:34am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Elixir of the Gods »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Elixir of the Gods
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Elixir of the Gods  (Read 312 times)
debpa
New Board Newbie
USA 

Function before form....every time.

Elixir of the Gods
« on: Sep 30th, 2005, 10:09am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have only posted here a few times but I just wanted everyone to know that my husband tried an Imitrex injection for the first time yesterday and he used every complimentary term you can think of including, miracle, amazing, and yes....elixir of the gods.  Thanks to this web site I finally convinced him to ask his neuro for it.  He had tried the Imitrex nasal spray when in past cycles and declared that it didn't do squat to stop a headache so he was very reluctant to try the injectable form because he truly thought it wouldn't help.  He was trying to avoid the inevitable dissapointment of having another drug fail him.  But it worked like a charm.  I want to thank everyone on this site for posting so much valuble information, especially the tips on how to break down the dosage on the Imitrex.  

Trip to Emergency room:  $ 200.00
Trip to Drug store: $75.00
Visit to CH.com: Priceless

Thanks again.
IP Logged
Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

Re: Elixir of the Gods
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30th, 2005, 11:27am »

Congratulations to him, Deb. There are plenty of cautions about overuse of Imitrex, including rebound headaches, shadows, and the toll that triptans take on the cardiovascular system. When I used Imitrex, I made sure to save it for the very worst of the worst. Is he taking any kind of preventative?

-Frank
IP Logged

Her: "Have you ever hit a deer?"
Me: "What, like, in the FACE?"
Her: ..... "WHAT is the MATTER with you!?"
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 30th, 2005, 11:50am »

Sweet!

As with all meds, a catch 22.

Over use is not good, though there is a way to split the dose and to not only use less med with the same effect but to save a fortune in $$

PF wishes to you both!
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 30th, 2005, 1:07pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

O yow !! I wouldn't be here today if it weren't for Imitrex injections. I truely believe it has saved my life!

Thank god for Imitrex !!  Grin

UNsolved
IP Logged
debpa
New Board Newbie
USA 

Function before form....every time.

« Reply #4 on: Sep 30th, 2005, 2:39pm »

Yes on the preventives question.  My husband has been taking Verapimil and Melatonin daily for what seems like forever.  He is still taking both and will continue to do so even when the cycle ends.  He is on a taper of Prednisone now since the middle of this cycle but it didn't seem to do a thing this time around.  The last time he was in cycle the Prednisone kicked the beast in the butt and cut his cycle way short.  Not this time.  It amazes me how something could work so well during one cycle and not during another.  Go figure.  He has only used one dose of the Imitrex so far in more than a twenty four hour period....he's very aware of the problems associated with overuse.  He would rather ride out the "minimal" ones anyway instead of having to reach for the drugs.  He is also close to the end of this cycle....(hopeful sigh).....so his HA's have started to ease a bit in thier frequency and strength.  

Thank you all for your replies and input.  I am so thankful that I can come here to talk to someone about this.  I've said it before and I'll say it again.  Friends and family are great at being sympathetic and try to understand this thing but when it comes to true understanding...no one really gets it like another CH'er or their supporter.

Hugs to all.
Deb
IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 30th, 2005, 7:21pm »

So happy for your sweetie!  Trex is my blessing also.  Luckily, my cycles rarely exceed 2 bangers a day, and Verapamil keeps the cycles shorter than they would be.  

There's truly nothing like 5 minute relief .....

Hugs and PF Wishes for you both,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #6 on: Oct 1st, 2005, 3:07am »

Welcome to our little corner of the web.  I'm glad you are finding the info you need to help your husband.  

Trex injections have been a blessing for me, but Oxygen is my first line of defense.  Has he tried it?  If not he should.  If he did and it didn't work, how was he using it?  ie, flow rate, type of mask, length of time.

Thanks for being a great supporter.  Just remember to take care of you, too.  

Mike
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss