Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 8th, 2024, 3:37pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Anyone taking Cymbalta? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Anyone taking Cymbalta?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Anyone taking Cymbalta?  (Read 316 times)
Melissa

Email

Anyone taking Cymbalta?
« on: Sep 23rd, 2005, 8:42am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

My doc has just prescribed this for me, and I am aware it is an antidepressant (which we are finding out I need to be on).  I was just curious if anyone is on it and how it's working for you?

Thanks!
mel
IP Logged
Jill
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
Sweden 

"Life is a series of goodbyes and hellos" Billy J.

Worldshots2003   FarmerGJill
WWW Email

Re: Anyone taking Cymbalta?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 23rd, 2005, 10:34am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hey...

My docs put me on cymbalta about three months ago... I have been having good results from it.. my mood is okay, much better than without it.  

My doc said that it was good because it was an anti-depressant but it also was good for pain relief.. not sure exactly how but I thought that that was interesting. I have heard that there can be side effects but I havent noticed any but then again I take it right before bed time..  

Just out of curiosity, are there alot of clusterheads on anit-depressants? Are there more chronics on it than episodics? Just curious because they put me on them not long after diagnosis, trying to keep my mood from going to down. Was never on any before the CH started... wondering if it has something to do with how we all deal with it..  

Hope that this helps some.

Jill
IP Logged

"If you learn from your suffering and really come to understand the lesson you were taught you might be able to help someone else who is now in the phase. Maybe that is what its all about after all.."
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 23rd, 2005, 10:48am »

I'm chronic by definition, and was started on Lexepro at Dx, but quit taking it.  My mood was more stable off of it than on it.

My opinion (maybe just my personal history) is that there is a natural depression that comes with the fact that what we have is not curable, and thus the initial thought of never escapeing this condition.  But with the process of acceptance, we can recognize that difference between the temporary mood swings when the pain over takes our usual rational selfs, and the long term sort of depression that cannot be self treated.  We all are different and have different needs.  What ever it takes to stay in the best possible mind set to deal with the beast and life in general when dealing with a life long disability such as CH, one does what they need to do.  It's all trial and error.

Pegg
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 23rd, 2005, 11:46am »

on Sep 23rd, 2005, 10:48am, Redd715 wrote:

My opinion (maybe just my personal history) is that there is a natural depression that comes with the fact that what we have is not curable, and thus the initial thought of never escapeing this condition.  But with the process of acceptance, we can recognize that difference between the temporary mood swings when the pain over takes our usual rational selfs, and the long term sort of depression that cannot be self treated.  

Couldn't agree more with you Pegg.
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

Jill
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
Sweden 

"Life is a series of goodbyes and hellos" Billy J.

Worldshots2003   FarmerGJill
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 23rd, 2005, 12:15pm »

Pegg,

That makes sense.. that would be true that once we accept it that our mood may become better.. That would also explain why some people on here are so much better with dealing with it after so long... I suppose that we all have to get to the point, chronic or episodic, that life goes on..

These are things that I personally have a hard time with, even after dealing with it on a daily basis for a couple of years. I think that there must be a lot of contributing factors into whether or not we can accept the headaches or need an anit-depressant too..

Okay, sorry for changing the subject!

Jill
IP Logged

"If you learn from your suffering and really come to understand the lesson you were taught you might be able to help someone else who is now in the phase. Maybe that is what its all about after all.."
Melissa

Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 23rd, 2005, 1:36pm »

Just want to emphasize the reason why I've just begun taking it.  I have severe anxiety, and due to some really nasty attacks the past few days, I've contemplated suicide.  I know I have a problem, and asked my doc to help me.  So far, after taking the first pill this morning, besides sleeping for awhile this morning, I've not had that scary feeling in my stomach that's telling me an attack is coming on.  We'll see how the rest of the day goes, and the next couple days.  

Thank you for your imput.

mel
IP Logged
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 23rd, 2005, 2:04pm »

I hope also, that this helps you Mel, and continues to do so.  The panic/anxiety features can be overwhelming.  Hang in there sis and I'm behind you all the way.  Let me know if there is anything I can do...
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #7 on: Sep 23rd, 2005, 2:32pm »

I took it, too, Mel.  It's like a twin of Effexor.

Hope it works well for you!

Hugz,
Carrie  Smiley
IP Logged

catlind
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Taz taught me the cluster dance

kadiya68   kadiya68
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Sep 23rd, 2005, 3:02pm »

Mel, they put me on it about 2 months or so ago in the hopes it would help the head pain because it's being used for Diabetic neuropathic pain quite successfully.

It's an SNRI, affecting seratonin and norepinephrine.  It didn't help my head, and in fact the first week made my migraines much much worse.  It did help my mood though Smiley

Good luck with it

Cat
IP Logged

A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart

If yer gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough
phydeaux
New Board Newbie
USA 

And I, of course, am innocent of all but malice.

268836339 268836339   nttechie   chaos+afu
Email

« Reply #9 on: Sep 24th, 2005, 1:15am »

My GP put me on Cymbalta, and I tried it for about 2 months, with no noticeable effect at all. Didn't even touch the "inevitable" depression.
IP Logged

Necrophelia means never having to say... well, anything!
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

sumday I'm gonna be sumbody........ ..

Email

« Reply #10 on: Sep 24th, 2005, 1:06pm »

My doc gave me a bunch of samples and wanted me to start up on it too and I even asked about it on here but no one was familiar with it at the time. I know it is used for diabitics for hand and foot pain cuz of ciculation problems and the doc said he has had good results useing it on chronic pain patients. Wants me on it for my twisted back crap. But I never tried it......nausia was one side effect along with weight gain.......TWO things I can NOT HANDLE !! Most of the antidepressants I tried caused nausia for a while and some I gave up on cuz of it cuz it was so bad. Paxil helped me fast YEARS ago but then turned on me.....I had gained about 17 lbs and didn't want to go anywhere cuz I couldn't fit into my clothes and looked rather chubby. So that caused anouther type of depression. Got myself off it and went thru some HORRIBLE shit plus it turned me into someone that didn't care about anything after two years. I know depression and mood swings are part of life and don't think everyone should go on antidepressants unless it is some serious depression. I was where you were Mel some time ago......I know how that feels. It creeps up on you and it is all you think about......scarey shit I must admit. I tried that lexipro or celexa stuff and felt WEIRD......I guess with some people they need to feel stable for a long period of time to get thru bad feelings that consume them and there life so antidepressants work for that and train you to think more positive. Moody cootie
« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2005, 1:08pm by cootie » IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

Melissa

Email

« Reply #11 on: Sep 24th, 2005, 2:01pm »

Hi all, and ty for your posts.  I have been going through absolute hell.  I mean HELL.  Until about 1 hr ago.  This is only my 2nd day on the Cymbalta, and I am just now starting not to feel so dizzy.  I still don't feel hungry, but I'm sure that side effect will dissipate with time also.  Anyway, this has truely been the most horrible and frightening past 4 days of my life.  The anxiety wasn't just your run of the mill worrying, it was TERRIFYING. Cry  

Anyway, about the Cymbalta, the side effects SUCK, but they do go away.  The trick is to just stick with it and hold out for the first week or two.  I noticed a difference in myself with just the first pill yesterday, and even today, although I spent the morning in a dizzy fog, my mind seemed to clear almost instantly, and I was able to take a shower without fear.  

So far, even though the sides are nasty, it seems that it's not as horrible as I thought it was going to be.  

BTW, I'll take CH's over severe anxiety ANY FUCKING DAY!!!

thx again,
mel
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss