Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 11:45am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « O2 use and storage questions »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   O2 use and storage questions
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: O2 use and storage questions  (Read 315 times)
debpa
New Board Newbie
USA 

Function before form....every time.

O2 use and storage questions
« on: Oct 6th, 2005, 12:23pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My husband is picking up his first tank of O2 today and more will be delivered to our home later today.  We are considering storing the extra tanks in a room in our basement.  No open flames there, no smoking, etc.  It is warm and dry there.  He plans to keep a tank in the bedroom obviously for the nightime attacks.  His neuro has informed us that smoking is not allowed....duh...while the oxygen is in use.  I already knew that.  She has also informed us that smoking anywhere else in the house is prohibited at any time even when O2 is not in use.  Is she telling me that if I'm on the other side of the house with all adjoining doors closed that I can't have a smoke whether or not the O2 is being used?

Please tell me how this can be possible because if it is this is going to be a very long winter and I'm going to need to buy heavier socks for those outdoor smokes.

Any input is appreciated.
Thanks
Deb
IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

Re: O2 use and storage questions
« Reply #1 on: Oct 6th, 2005, 1:10pm »

Its bullshit Deb, doc is trying to cover own ass.

As long as the 02 is shut off your ok even smoking next to it, I shut mine off and wait five minutes for any 02 in my clothing to disapaite and then fire up....but thats just me!

Its never 100% safe to smoke around an 02 tank, but to say you cant smoke ANYWHERE in the house is pure bullshit.
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

BikerBob
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Oct 6th, 2005, 1:21pm »

I agree with jonny on this one (except "disapaite" is dissipate). Just don't smoke or have any flame in the same room as the O2 tanks.
IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 6th, 2005, 1:47pm »

on Oct 6th, 2005, 1:21pm, BikerBob wrote:
I agree with jonny on this one (except "disapaite" is dissipate). Just don't smoke or have any flame in the same room as the O2 tanks.

Thanks for the correction, Bob.....I always knew you had my back Grin
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

debpa
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Oct 6th, 2005, 2:31pm »

Thanks for the replies.  I will take all the precautions necessary to make sure I'm not blown to hell along with the hubby, house and hound.  I've printed safety info. from this site to make sure we're using everything properly.

Thank you again and I hope this cycle ends soon.  I don't know how much more my husband can take but I know that the O2 will make a difference.

Deb
IP Logged
Ueli

Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 6th, 2005, 8:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

IMHO, there is only one no-no with O2: Don't smoke while sucking oxygen!
But to avoid this we use a full-face non-rebreather mask.  Grin

All in all, an oxygen tank in the house is less dangerous than a can of hairspray.

Ueli                  smokin

IP Logged
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 6th, 2005, 11:27pm »

OK. O2's safe.
Next question, please. You're going to have to try harder than that if you want to Stump the Panel.

How'z about Bodok washers?
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
debpa
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Oct 7th, 2005, 3:39pm »

Thank you again for all the input.  I don't have any idea what the heck a bodock washer is....but my husband would like to know how a fax machine works.  Any ideas?

Boondock washer= big rock in the middle of a creek.
IP Logged
mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

« Reply #8 on: Oct 7th, 2005, 8:33pm »

Debpa,

Thats total over kill.   I am a Respiratory Therapist and just keep it secure, and away from any possible Spark Source.  Oxygen supports combustion it FEEDS fire. So a spark could catch fire and a cigarette could catch fire also.  Just be careful!

Your Brother in Pain.  If you have any toerh questions just IM me.

MYNM156
IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

In remembrance of KingCazman. RIP

Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 9th, 2005, 2:56am »

Yeah, what Jonny said.
I keep it in the master bath, thats where i go when i need to use it.  I always have the window open and the fan is always on, so i guess its ventilated quite well.  After using it, I smoke immediately.  Pat down your clothes, and your hair and facial hair to get rid of any O2 stuck to you, then you should be good to lite up.

Anyone ever test it?  Anyone ever fill a paper bag with O2 and then lite it just to see what happens?  That sounds fun, and it would be a good learning experience.  bomb
PF wishes
BMonee
IP Logged

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool - can't get fooled again"

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 9th, 2005, 3:05am »

If smoking on 02 can do this damage to an 02 tube, imagine what can do to your skin Grin

IP Logged

- Guiseppi

BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

In remembrance of KingCazman. RIP

Email

« Reply #11 on: Oct 9th, 2005, 3:11am »

Man, I would like to have seen how that happened.  The thing just combusted right there?  Thats freakin cool
BMonee

IP Logged

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool - can't get fooled again"

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Oct 9th, 2005, 7:34pm »

I believe it was Kip (Yes, the inventor of the Kip Scale) that had the really prime idea of exhaling a lungful of O2 thru a lit ret. As I remember the tale, he was kindly surprised.

And then there was Mikey from NC that fell asleep, the ret fell out of his hand and landed on the oxygen tube that ran to his mask. THAT one was interesting.

When in doubt, defer to Darwin.
RJ
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2005, 7:34pm by Mr. Happy » IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss