Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 11:04pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Episodic vs chronic...... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Episodic vs chronic......
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Episodic vs chronic......  (Read 432 times)
BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

In remembrance of KingCazman. RIP

Email

Episodic vs chronic......
« on: Oct 13th, 2005, 9:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

for people that are episodic, do you ever get hit when NOT in cycle?  Like lets say alcohol seems to be a trigger, when you are not in cycle can you drink like a fish and not get hit?
For chronic people, does it seem to run in cycles?  Like during a 'cycle' you get hit 4 times a day, and when not in 'cycle' you only get hit once per day?  Or do you chronic people typically get hit with the same frequency and severity daily?

What is the deciding factor to be considered chronic?

Also, typically how many times per year do you episodic people get a cycle?  I think i am entering my 4th cycle this year.  They have been lasting about 6 to 10 weeks.
Thanks, and PF wishes to all
BMonee
IP Logged

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool - can't get fooled again"

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

unsolved1

Email

Re: Episodic vs chronic......
« Reply #1 on: Oct 13th, 2005, 9:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I'm chronic, but thanks to Histamine ... i'm catching a good break. Yes, sometimes I get hit worse than others. Sometimes I get hit 3 times a day and sometimes it gets worse. When I start getting hit 8 times a day, I can't handle* it and go into the hospital for something, anything!  Sad  

To be considered chronic ...it's a time thing. No remission(s) for more than 30 days within a year. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

PF wishes
UNsolved

IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 13th, 2005, 10:01pm »

Many chronics appear to get cycles within cycle.
Just like you said ups and downs.
I have periods where I have 8-10 a day then times where I get 1-2 sometimes will just have a day that approaches PF.

There are people here who have reported random whackings when out of cycle and then it disappears.
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 14th, 2005, 3:55am »

I have cycles within cycles, I'm currently going 2-3 weeks with 3 hits a day and then having a week to ten days of more hits and more randomly spaced, unpredictable in other words and then it settles back down to 3 hits a day again. (I'm chronic by the way but I hate that word)  
I CAN drink but I couldn't bring myself to try it during my "bad" week so I don't know if that would affect me or not, I have a theory though that if I can't face it that's my body telling me not to! During my "good" weeks though I can drink happily
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #4 on: Oct 14th, 2005, 7:49am »

When I was chronic, I also had severe "cycles" within my cycle. The hits came more often and were much harder.  
The definition of chronic is going one year without a 30 day remission. If you get 30 PF days (with or without meds) you're not chronic.
hugs, nani
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 14th, 2005, 7:54am »

on Oct 14th, 2005, 7:49am, nani wrote:
When I was chronic

HEY!!! Tell me, how f*cking GOOD does it feel to say THAT!?!?!? WHOO-HOO!!!!! *shaking champagne all over the freakin' place...* (BEAMING!)

-Franko
IP Logged

Her: "Have you ever hit a deer?"
Me: "What, like, in the FACE?"
Her: ..... "WHAT is the MATTER with you!?"
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #6 on: Oct 14th, 2005, 8:03am »

LMAO Frank! It does feel good.  Cheesy
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
don

Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 14th, 2005, 8:06am »

Quote:
for people that are episodic, do you ever get hit when NOT in cycle?

Yup. I've been cycle free for3 years now but not pain free. Just finished (I hope) a 2 week bout of shadows and 1 or 2 minor hits.

Quote:
To be considered chronic ...it's a time thing. No remission(s) for more than 30 days within a year. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.  

Your right. Thats is the diagnostic criteria. I would only add that it is with or without meds.
IP Logged
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #8 on: Oct 14th, 2005, 9:15am »

on Oct 13th, 2005, 10:01pm, E-Double wrote:
Many chronics appear to get cycles within cycle.
Just like you said ups and downs.
I have periods where I have 8-10 a day then times where I get 1-2 sometimes will just have a day that approaches PF.

There are people here who have reported random whackings when out of cycle and then it disappears.

Got to agree with chronics getting cycles within cycles.  Between July & Sept. I typically count on a significant reduction in attacks and drop in severity.  They don't go away - just let up some.  I don't get this break every year but most years I get some relief in the summer months.    

During these months I can usually cut my med. dosages in half but if I go lower than that the attacks will come on with a vengence.

In this month (October) attacks will start ramping up and by the end of November I can count on being in the full blown part of this cycle within a cycle.

Tom      
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 14th, 2005, 9:17am »

on Oct 13th, 2005, 9:44pm, BMoneeTheMoneeMan wrote:
Like lets say alcohol seems to be a trigger, when you are not in cycle can you drink like a fish and not get hit?

When I am not in cycle, I DO drink like a fish and do not get hit. Well, drink like a small fish. I'll drink beer on the weekends, and maybe a glass of wine with dinner during the week, or port wine after dinner.

I had a headache last december, with all the CH symptoms, and that was a full 4 months before my cycle started.

IP Logged
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #10 on: Oct 14th, 2005, 9:37am »

on Oct 13th, 2005, 9:44pm, BMoneeTheMoneeMan wrote:
What is the deciding factor to be considered chronic?

Also, typically how many times per year do you episodic people get a cycle?

From an episodic point of view I blur the distinction because I've episodes that go longer than a year but then afterward get time unmedicated pf for varied amount of months.  So they're still episodes to me simply because they go away for awhile before coming back.  Length and frequency of episodic cycles can vary by individual, "typical" can be elusive.  
« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2005, 7:50pm by Kevin_M » IP Logged
ozzy
New Board Old Timer
USA 

As I Am

WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Oct 14th, 2005, 12:29pm »

I may be a prick, but lately I'm more convinced that there is no such thing as chronic or episodic....

You always have CH. You are always a clusterhead.

It's a matter of not getting hit by any means necessary.

Ozzy
IP Logged
Pascal
New Board Newbie
France 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #12 on: Oct 16th, 2005, 4:33pm »

Episodic with 2 cycles during 8 to 10 weeks every spring and fall up until now for the past 5 years (excepting this fall where a kudzu trial has stopped the crise in its bud within 2 weeks!!) .  
Personnally, I can drink what I want between cycles without it inducing any CHs.
IP Logged
rextangle

Email

« Reply #13 on: Oct 16th, 2005, 4:38pm »

Pascal, of course you can drink! You don't have a darn choice, you live in France!!!! Grin
Passe le bonjour à mon pays natal!
Rex Wink
IP Logged
Pascal
New Board Newbie
France 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #14 on: Oct 16th, 2005, 8:07pm »

on Oct 16th, 2005, 4:38pm, rextangle wrote:
Pascal, of course you can drink! You don't have a darn choice, you live in France!!!! Grin
Passe le bonjour à mon pays natal!
Rex Wink

Thanks for the permission!  Sundays lunch=
 Our local brew= Muscadet de Sèvre et Maine (sur lie), followed by  a Bordeaux 2002 (Chateau Haut Pelletan).
(I'm a bit dissapointed all the same, I thought that you were an Aussie (quote "je suis aussi un expatrié"Wink must have got things wrong as usual as Rex is  one my brothers name.  Over here, when I talk about my brothers (Ross and Rex.) people often think that I'm talking about my dogs!)
IP Logged
rextangle

Email

« Reply #15 on: Oct 16th, 2005, 9:39pm »

Ah you Bastard! Rub it in... all that good wine costs more than gasoline here. Over there it's the opposite.
I can't touch alcohol anymore because of CH.

But make no mistake, I am actually a dog. A dog with CH that can type. I hope your brother has more talents!

What made you think I was an Aussie? Can you tell that I'm drooling all the time through the screen?

You would have made a lousy detective!
Welcome to the nut house... not fire your questions away!

Is CH called Algie Vasculaire de la face or is there a more popular name that includes "maux de tete"???
IP Logged
MarkHW
New Board Old Timer
USA 

mwilliams43050
Email

« Reply #16 on: Oct 17th, 2005, 12:36pm »

I used to be Chronic before the right med balance.  I would have cycles within cycles.  Spring was the absolute worst.

Now... I am almost cluster free from about july - october, small cycle, cluser free from December - February and then it hits the fan until July (even medicated).  Of course now even in the Spring I only have a couple hits a day instead of many.

Mark
IP Logged

The clusterhead formerly known as williamsmh.
MJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #17 on: Oct 18th, 2005, 2:11am »

Pretty sure I've never been hit out of cycle with the pain.  
Often get silent hits out of cycle, (symptoms but no pain).
I live in fear of alcohol due to clusters and seldom drink but occasionally I give it a run.
My attacks allways stay consistent but the cycles vary in time from a few months to years in cycle. Same times occur between cycles.
During the first few years like clockwork my cycles occured every 13 months and lasted 3-4 months.  
Then I tried a 3 year stint.  
 It's Never been the same since for the duration of a complete cycle nor the time between. Last cycle lasted about 7 months with maybe a half a day off.

MJ
IP Logged

MJ
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss