Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 8:47pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Predisone dose help please »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Predisone dose help please
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Predisone dose help please  (Read 354 times)
BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

In remembrance of KingCazman. RIP

Email

Predisone dose help please
« on: Oct 19th, 2005, 3:41am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I gotta get on pred immediately.  Can someone tell me what is a typical dose for pred, and what mg pills i should get.  
I already have the script, a neuro gave it to me.  I just gotta know what dose i should get and how i should taper it.
So if i taper down by 5mg a week for 4 or 5 weeks, should i get 5mg pills, so that its always in multiples of 5?
Thanks
Gotta call the neuro and the pharmacy soon as the sun comes up...............
BMonee
IP Logged

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool - can't get fooled again"

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

Re: Predisone dose help please
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19th, 2005, 4:09am »

Brian the usual dose (to my knowledge and based on uk stuff) is 60 mg in five mg tablets. One of my friends has been on that for 10 days and then tapering down by 5mg every five days, other people I know have done 60mg for a week and then reducing. Do a search on Prednisone now while the site is quiet and you should pull up a load of posts
Hope it helps
Helen
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 19th, 2005, 4:19am »

Quote:
Cluster Headache Help and Support / Medications, Treatments, Therapies / Re: prednisone, verapamil and ?   Oct 13th, 2005, 8:07am  
Started by cjc68 | Post by cjc68  
Well the Doc gave started me with a 100 mg prednisone taper (10 days),

Quote:

7   Cluster Headache Help and Support / Medications, Treatments, Therapies / Re: Injections, Injections,  Injections   Oct 10th, 2005, 4:04am  
Started by greumreaper | Post by Gator  

Steroids are usually prescribed PO with another preventative med such as Verapamil.  prednisone is normally started at a high dose like 60 - 80 mg per day and tapered off to nothing over the course of a couple weeks.

Quote:
24   Cluster Headache Help and Support / Medications, Treatments, Therapies / prednisone, verapamil and ?   Oct 5th, 2005, 9:59am  
Started by cjc68 | Post by cjc68  
prevent 1 : prednisone, 60-80 mg per day with two week taper  

prevent 2: for when the pred stops working. verapamil, starting @ 120mg per day increasing 120mg every 3 days up to 600-900mg.  

Hope this helps!
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #3 on: Oct 19th, 2005, 12:26pm »

on Oct 19th, 2005, 3:41am, BMoneeTheMoneeMan wrote:
I gotta get on pred immediately.  Can someone tell me what is a typical dose for pred, and what mg pills i should get.  
I already have the script, a neuro gave it to me.  I just gotta know what dose i should get and how i should taper it.
So if i taper down by 5mg a week for 4 or 5 weeks, should i get 5mg pills, so that its always in multiples of 5?
Thanks
BMonee

Are you saying your doctor basically gave you a blank check to get whatever prednisone you want and to use it as you see fit?

I find that hard to believe.  

What instructions did the doctor give you on how to take it?

IP Logged
BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

In remembrance of KingCazman. RIP

Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 19th, 2005, 1:18pm »

Well, it was about 2 months ago that I met this neuro.  I was impressed cause he is the first Doc i have met that knows anything at all.
He said he was going to have a script in my pharmacy that i can fill at any time i need.  I cant remember what the dose is, but i do remember that he did not say anything about tapering it.  I learned about tapering it here on this board, and it looks like thats what everyone does for best results.
Its not a blank check waiting for me in the pharmacy, but the doc said I can use him just to place orders.  So, i am going to call him and tell him exactly what i want, and he will then contact the pharmacy.
And other than that, he just said to start taking it as soon as a cycle starts, and it should break the cycle before it really takes hold.
PF wishes
BMonee
IP Logged

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool - can't get fooled again"

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

don

Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 19th, 2005, 1:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:

Yup. Thats what you have to do.
IP Logged
JoelG
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 20th, 2005, 8:50am »

BMonee, for 10 years I've been taking prednisone dose pack when CH first hits.  Here's the dose schedule, each is 10mg:

Days 1-4  2 at breakfast, 1 at lunch, 1 at diner, 2 at bedtime

Days 5-8  1 at breakfast, 1 at lunch, 1 at diner, 1 at bedtime

Days 9-12 1 at breakfast, 1 at bedtime

Now, for me in most cases the early high doses stop all CH with an occasional "breakthrough" one.  But by the time I'm onto day 9 or 10 the Chs start again on their timely routine and I then start the prednisone dose from day 1.  Often I have to go through about 3 prednisone dose packs before the CHs finally end.

The "Dose Pack" is a blister pack containing 10 mg pills with the above schedule indicated for each.  It's a little more expensive purchased this way, but helps me keep track.  Recently I've just have my MD prescribe 48 10mg. with at least 3 refills and keep track on my own.  After 10 years he figures I know what I'm doing.

Also, I have a supply of Valium which helps with my agitated mood caused by the prednisone.  I can also count on gaining 3-5 lbs. per week that I'm taking the stuff.  But it's worth it because for me it works.

Joel
IP Logged
jmc1106
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Oct 20th, 2005, 1:14pm »

I just picked up some for my husband today. It's in 10 mg pills, and he's to take 60 mg for 3 days, 50 mg for three days, 40 mg for three days, and on down to just 10 mg for three days.  

Jan
IP Logged
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 20th, 2005, 11:07pm »

My tapers have been 20mg x 3 for  4days tapers 10mg per 4days. You may grow breastssss as well. Lots of side effects. Orthopedic to acne,
jb Cool
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss