Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 5:35pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Nerve Blocks »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Nerve Blocks
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Nerve Blocks  (Read 1102 times)
imacane
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Nerve Blocks
« on: Nov 3rd, 2005, 1:11am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi, I'm new to the site.  Suffering 9 yrs.  was chronic for first 7 with 2-4/day, now I seem to have caught a break and am having seasonal episodes.  Imitrex/O2 seem to be the key.  As you all can relate, I'm in a bad way now, maxed out on injections and am having rebounds from the O2. The Neuro has recommended occipital nerve block or sphenopalatine ganglion block as preventitive measure.  I can't find enough info on the proceedures, any info, successes or failures out there.  You help would be most appreciated. Thankyou
IP Logged
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

Re: Nerve Blocks
« Reply #1 on: Nov 3rd, 2005, 1:26am »

Nerve blocks don't seem to be a big huhu. Local injection, works or it doesn't. Placement may be everything. I dunno.
It's not like having nerve ganglions severed or fried.
There's a success rate, a failure rate, and a no vote rate.

Haven't had to go that route.  
Yet.
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 3rd, 2005, 1:27am »

Hi, Imacane.

I don't think it is the O2 giving you rebounds might be more due to the trex.

Look on the left and try the "Imitrex tip" it works and you will use less, so it will last longer.

Under "medical info" you will find at the bottom invasive procedures, read that.

There are also various links that will assist you.

Read, read and read more before going to something so drastic.  First try the stuff that works for most.

Hang in there, this is the best place to find help and support.

Jas Wink
IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 3rd, 2005, 8:13am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I've had both a sphenopalatine and an Occipital nerve block(s). The very first Occipital block brought me 17 days pain free. Each additional time I tried it it failed. The Sphenopalatine made me worse. (INcrease in frequency and severity or hits), not to mention it was a torturous procedure.

Goodluck

UNsolved
IP Logged
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #4 on: Nov 3rd, 2005, 9:15am »

Welcome to the website. Sorry to hear you're being hit again.

There's plenty of posts about nerve block experiences here.  Do a search for nerve blocks.

I tried the Occipital Nerve Block - no go here.  Haven't tried the sphenopalatine and from what I've read - don't want to.  I've got crappy insurance, so its too damn expensive for me to try it again anyways.  Not enough bang for the buck.

Read all the info in the links to the left, in the message board threads and on the OUCH website.

I've sent you a few more links to your inbox.  Check you r messages in the upper right corner of the screen.

Again, welcome and good luck.

Mike
IP Logged
hoosierdaddy
New Board Newbie
USA 

Are we having fun yet?

« Reply #5 on: Nov 3rd, 2005, 6:17pm »

Imacane,
   I had two nerve blocks last year and I got 6 months PF. I am having another on Monday and I will post on her eto let you know.  
   Have you tried a prednisone taper yet? I am mostly PF on prednisone but the day I run out its dance fever all over again.
Good luck
Greg
IP Logged

..."it feels as if my head is giving birth to my brain and can't decide whether to use my right eye or right nostril as the birth canal."

Hoosier-Daddy?
;^)
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 11th, 2005, 9:55pm »

on Nov 3rd, 2005, 1:27am, Jasmyn wrote:
I don't think it is the O2 giving you rebounds might be more due to the trex.

This is the most important point in this thread!

02 will NEVER give you rebounds.....Trex WILL give most people rebounds.

If you even take one third of a shot of Trex you can count on 2 more HA's because of it.

Try Zomig, its a triptan like Trex but with a half life far better.
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

pubgirl
New Board Old Timer
United_Kingdom 

The next person who calls it a migraine eats teeth

« Reply #7 on: Nov 11th, 2005, 10:07pm »

on Nov 3rd, 2005, 1:11am, imacane wrote:
Hi, I'm new to the site.  Suffering 9 yrs.  was chronic for first 7 with 2-4/day, now I seem to have caught a break and am having seasonal episodes.  Imitrex/O2 seem to be the key.  As you all can relate, I'm in a bad way now, maxed out on injections and am having rebounds from the O2. The Neuro has recommended occipital nerve block or sphenopalatine ganglion block as preventitive measure.  I can't find enough info on the proceedures, any info, successes or failures out there.  You help would be most appreciated. Thankyou

Imacane

For what its worth as an 02 user, I don't get rebounds as such, but if I come off the 02 too quickly after the pain has gone, it comes back again later.  
What works best for me is to drop the flow rate right back after the pain has been aborted and stay breathing the 02 gently and easily for a few more minutes.

Maybe worth a try?

Another option I use sometimes is to take a Frova or Zomig pill at the same time as I use the 02 and that often seems to block attacks for a few hours. I do this when I'm getting exhausted and trying to buy myself some PF time to sleep.

Nerve blocks and any kind of surgery are usually a last resort when all else has been tried kind of thing  

Wendy
« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2005, 10:12pm by pubgirl » IP Logged

Calling all Brits (and anyone else- all welcome) Join OUCH UK and help us fight CH together
Dave_Emond
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 12th, 2005, 5:02am »

Hi Imacane,
 I expect I'll be going in sometime this week for my first nerve blocks. Already had new MRI's of my neck for prep.
 I don't know what to expect, but at this point am willing to try anything. I was episodic for 4 years and I've now been chronic for the past 6 years. Haven't had a pain free day in those 6 years, so if I can get even a few days or weeks PF, I'll chance it.
 Will let you know how it goes,
 Dave
IP Logged

Obstacles are those frightful things we see when we take our minds off our goals.
imacane
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 12th, 2005, 2:09pm »

Thanks for all your help, maybe the rebounds aren't from the O2 and from the Trex.  After reading all the threads I've decided against the block for now and will try more effective use of O2 and am going to try Kudzu even though i take Verapamil and Zonagram.  More questions, when I first start with the O2 the pain intensifies greatly for 2-5 minutes before the pain starts to taper back down... is this common?  Also, The Nuro is limiting me to 2 Trex injections per week though I'm sick 4-5X/night, is he just being cautious?
IP Logged
Dave_Emond
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 12th, 2005, 4:50pm »

on Nov 12th, 2005, 2:09pm, imacane wrote:
 Also, The Nuro is limiting me to 2 Trex injections per week though I'm sick 4-5X/night, is he just being cautious?

You have a weak heart? One area I've been fortunate in is that my heart has always been very strong. My Neuro even allowed me 2 shots of Imitrex per day, helped for a while, but soon became worthless.
 Sounds overly cautious to me, but then again, depending on your heart he could be protecting you.
 Imitrex is not something to screw around with, ask your doc straightout why the low dosage ... may be a reason.
 Dave
IP Logged

Obstacles are those frightful things we see when we take our minds off our goals.
Jill
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
Sweden 

"Life is a series of goodbyes and hellos" Billy J.

Worldshots2003   FarmerGJill
WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Nov 12th, 2005, 6:39pm »

Hey,

I wanted to add something about the occipital nerve block as this is something that I am working to get done and something that I have talked to Dr. Rosen about. The Jefferson Headache Clinic recommended it when I saw them... and Dr. Rosen still does.

I am trying to remember what he told me - he also talked about this at the convention this year. Evidently, the nerve that they would block is in the back of the head but it does control what happens in the front of the head. (Did that make sense??) He said that it is safe with minimal risk and, if it works, can be repeated when needed - he told me in about a month or so.  

As for it being used for CH - as far as I know, there havent been any trials per say but it has been done on patients especially at Jefferson. He said that it was something that is worth trying - especially, as in my case, when medications dont work. From what I understood, it is something that works well for CH'ers though the amount of pain free time in between may become shorter.. guess that part depends on the person.  

The problem that I have had is finding someone to do it - my insurance would take Jefferson and some doctors claim that because they would be doing the nerve in the back of the head and my pain was in the front that it was pointless.. bull if you ask me. My neuro now is in the process of referring me to an anethiosologist (cant spell that) as they have to do it.  

I am sorry if some of this doesnt make sense or was written before - I could not read everything as I am shadowing too hard but I wanted to write this. Hopefully it makes sense... Undecided

Hope that this helps some and good luck!

Jill
IP Logged

"If you learn from your suffering and really come to understand the lesson you were taught you might be able to help someone else who is now in the phase. Maybe that is what its all about after all.."
pubgirl
New Board Old Timer
United_Kingdom 

The next person who calls it a migraine eats teeth

« Reply #12 on: Nov 12th, 2005, 10:38pm »

on Nov 12th, 2005, 2:09pm, imacane wrote:

More questions, when I first start with the O2 the pain intensifies greatly for 2-5 minutes before the pain starts to taper back down... is this common?

I often find the same Imacane. I explain it to myself like this (but this is not a doctor talking, just how it seems to me)

The way the 02 works is to oversaturate the body with 02 so that the brain reacts and vasoconstricts to stop it. This is why we use at such a high flow rate and saturation and low flow rates don't work. My take on the intensification of the pain sometimes is that actually until the brain "kicks in" and reacts and constricts, the extra 02 in my blood stream is probably dilating the vessels EVEN MORE! I may be VERY wrong here, but this is how I have explained it to myself.  

Another thing to try to make your 02 therapy more effective, get hold of one of Ben Khan's clustermasxs, it makes a huge difference to the speed I can abort my attacks and used lots less 02.

Wendy
IP Logged

Calling all Brits (and anyone else- all welcome) Join OUCH UK and help us fight CH together
Dave_Emond
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #13 on: Nov 14th, 2005, 4:26pm »

Jill, Brian and others who may be interested,
 I'm going to log day-by-day everything that has anything to do with these nerve block procedures.
 The C2 and C3 nerves come out of the spinal cord at the back of the neck and contol nerve pathways through the head ... mostly the front.
Jill wrote:
Quote:
and some doctors claim that because they would be doing the nerve in the back of the head and my pain was in the front that it was pointless.. bull if you ask me.

Bull is right! That's just plain ridiculous! Where'd they go to school I wonder?
Here's one link that may help:
http://home.earthlink.net/~pnemanic/nemanicchiropractic/id8.html
 Bring up the "3D Spine Simulator" and click on C2 and then C3. From this site I learned that the C2 nerves and pathway are much more involed than the C3.
 I'm still waiting for the call to go in for this procedure and as far as I know right now my Medicare will cover partial, all but 20% I believe. Now ... I'm still a bit afraid of what 20% might mean, no idea yet on the price. But, I've got to try anything .... anything!
 Will keep everyone updated on all areas of this procedure,
 Dave
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss