Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 4:53pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Harvard notices kudzu »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Harvard notices kudzu
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Harvard notices kudzu  (Read 1884 times)
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

Harvard notices kudzu
« on: Nov 7th, 2005, 7:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Also posted on the General Board. I want to be sure everyone sees this.  Grin

I'm in touch with Dr Sewell at Harvard and I received an email the other day asking me to participate in a kudzu case series for publication in a medical journal. Here is part of what I received. If you have a kudzu story (successful or not, I think) please consider participating in this project. It could be a precursor to an actual study someday.  

Hello everyone!  

Thirteen of you have responded saying that you have tried kudzu to treat your cluster headache. I would like your permission to include your case as part of a case series for publication in a scientific journal.  

There is unlikely to be any direct benefit to you from this (other than the entertainment value of seeing your story in print). However, there could be some indirect benefits. For example, by comparing the successful and unsuccessful treatments, it may be possible to identify what makes for a failed treatment and permit both you and other cluster headache sufferers to be more successful in the future. Furthermore, since the use of kudzu to treat cluster headache has not so far been described, it may be possible to use the case series to argue for a controlled clinical trial, which can test different doses and establish the most effective dosing regimen, which again could potentially help both you and hundreds of thousands of other cluster headache patients if kudzu proves to be effective.  

What I would need from you would be two things:  
1. Time. We would work together to write a case--a two- or three-paragraph story of your cluster headache and the effect that kudzu had on it. This might require a little “back-and-forth” over email.  

2. A copy of your medical records. Unfortunately, scientists take a dim view of Internet surveys and such case series are unlikely to be published, since there is no way of knowing who the cases are or whether they have what they say they have. Objective evidence adds credibility, however. All I would need is something confirming your diagnosis and talking a little about what medication trials you have tried. We keep all records strictly confidential, and in fact have a Certificate of Confidentiality from the NIH that permits us to refuse a subpoena, should one be delivered to us. Do you have a fax number or snail address I could send a release of information form to that you could sign and give to your doctor?  

Thanks in advance,  

R. Andrew Sewell MD  
Alcohol and Drug Abuse Research Center  
Harvard Medical School/McLean Hospital  

Dr Sewell's e mail addy is:  
asewell@mclean.harvard.edu
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Cathi04
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Harvard notices kudzu
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10th, 2005, 12:06am »

WOOOOO-HOOOOO, NANI!!!!!!!!!

dONT KNOW WHY i DIDNT SEE THIS SOONER!!!!

All Hail, N bowani, Queen of Kudzu!!!!!!!!!!  

Many PF days ahead for YOU, and for the others for whom you are paving the way.... now, if ONLY it worked for everyone!

Congrats, Nani!

Cathi Kiss
IP Logged

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #2 on: Nov 14th, 2005, 11:36am »

So...has everyone who's tried kudzu contacted Dr Sewell, yet?
IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #3 on: Nov 14th, 2005, 11:43am »

on Nov 14th, 2005, 11:36am, nani wrote:
So...has everyone who's tried kudzu contacted Dr Sewell, yet?

Yup, sure did, and finished my surveys and provided my headache diary info, too.

scott
 Grin
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #4 on: Nov 14th, 2005, 11:50am »

WTG Scott!!!
 Kiss
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss