Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 6:09pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Topamax »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Topamax
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Topamax  (Read 478 times)
Capt-Kilowatt
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Topamax
« on: Nov 5th, 2005, 8:40am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello again.  I'm the newbie.  Just typed my intro a little while ago.  I'm just curious.  I've been battling these CH's now for about 2 yrs straight and the primary preventative meds I've been given the option of were Topamax or Depakote.  Of course there's all the others which would fall into the anti-depressants etc categories but I was under the understanding that these were the only 2 that were approve by the FDA specifically for migraines even though they are actually seigure meds.  I did a search and have been reading and noticed that no-one around here seems to be on them.  I've tried a few of the anti-depressants but didn't care for some of the side affects.  I think I'm going to love this Wellbutrin when it finally gets in my system good.  We'll see.  I also wanted to post this link to a sight I love to go to anytime i get prescribed a new drug since getting these CH's.  You may already be familiar with it but if not it's a review board where others review their experience on effectiveness, side effects, how well it works etc.  Sometimes when the Doc gives me several "options" to pick from I go there to see what hundreds of others think about each one and make my decision based on that.  I'd also like to know if ya'll know anything about Topamax at all or I'm really interested in why you're not on it since I can't see staying with it if it's not going to help but does have side affects.  It was helping at first till my stress level went bezerk.  The severity went down.  The Maxalt MLT's work great for me.  They disolve on the tongue and I can usually get back at it anywhere from 20-40 minutes.  I'd tried some others including the Imitrex spray but didn't like it's side affects on me (prickly skin etc).  Here's the link to that site:
http://www.askapatient.com/index.asp
IP Logged

"I'm Your Huckleberry"
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

Re: Topamax
« Reply #1 on: Nov 5th, 2005, 8:50am »

dopey Max?
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 5th, 2005, 8:55am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Topamax made me dumber than a box of rocks. It also gave me kidney stones twice. Never helped with the CH.

Goodluck
UNsolved
IP Logged
Capt-Kilowatt
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Nov 5th, 2005, 8:56am »

I did a search on Topamax and found a Subject Topamax post but it wouldn't pull up for some reason.  Said the archive was closed????  I just went back a minute ago and read it.  Ghosts I guess lol.  Sorry if this seemed like a double post.
IP Logged

"I'm Your Huckleberry"
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 5th, 2005, 9:27am »

Hiya  

This is a great resource to know like the back of your hand...print it out and give it to the doc  
http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf
It will present the appropriate treatments that you should seek and your doctor should know!!!  

If you want an abortive with the least amount of side-effects O2 should not only be requested but demanded from your doctor!!!  
http://www.maplefallswebdesign.com/misc/oxygen/oxygen.htm

I have recently been using Zyprexa as an abortive and have found it to work (for me) as fast as Imitrex and without the "hangover"  
http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=meds;action= display;num=1120904753

As far as topomax.......Hated it!
Many unfortunately report that it can turn you into a mental midget.
I could not tolerate being a house plant.

We are all different and respond differently.

Good luck!

Eric
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 5th, 2005, 9:41am »

Hi Captain

Topomax unfortunately is not very popular as it does not seem to do the job for most but the big side-effect we all hate is it makes you "dopey" like vig, UNsolved and Eric basically said.

Read the links and the left hand side of the board.  

O2 is still the best thing since peanutbutter.

Hope you find the right combination for you.

Jas Wink
IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
SISCO11
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

SISCO11  
Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 5th, 2005, 1:29pm »

Greetings to all. I am new to the club and hope this will help anyone with the demon CH.  My doctor Rx  verapimil 120mg as a propholaxisis in 2003. Since this is also a blood pressure Rx he advised to use caution when taking it, one cannot stop just anytime when the symptoms subside. I've found it to help during that period but at the time given, my bout w/ clusters were toward the end. My attacks usually last about a month and go away for 12-13 months. Now they are back 11/05- not as severe, but still a pain. Every couple of days I'll get hit with one day or night. I'm finding it harder and harder to keep track.  Would appreciate the lastest info out there for pain. I currently take imitrex statdose 6mg, talk about the wonder drug of all time and if any one uses this we know how expensive this drug is. One doctor advised me to stock up on it even when in remission, this way enough would be on hand. For those who have the advantage of a perscription plan and a modest copay. ORDER ORDER ORDER. Well worth it. Get to know your Rx company's benefits in detail, they too can be a headache. TTFN  Wink
IP Logged

SISCO OUT
Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 5th, 2005, 2:48pm »

Sisco, see the imitrex tip on the left.
IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 6th, 2005, 12:22am »

I don't use Topomax, or Trex shots. I just feel the need to type.

Topomax is a Swear At or Swear By drug. Some folks have great success, others fall deeper into the Pits of Despair. Some increase doses slowly. Rokk Lobster jumps in at 100 mgs, dumps at same level, and has no problems. If it works, you should be the first to know. If it doesn't work, it can make you so stupid you might be ther 4th or 5th person to know. Same if it does work.
Topomax Joe was a good teacher on this one. A Mailman on Topomax and snorting Stadol. Heh.

On Trex shots: Try a Zomig snort, then follow with O2. Works for some, definitely for me. Lasts longer, too.

I'm Alt Bound.
RJ

IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #9 on: Nov 6th, 2005, 4:41pm »

Welcome, dude.  I've just gotta ask, where the hell did you get that name?

Depakote did nothing for me or to me.  I might as well have been eating M&M's.

Topomax made me dumber than a bag of hammers, but my entertainment bill was much cheaper.  I could be easily entertained for hours watching the flowers in my wallpaper grow.  Wife confiscated my car keys as I was unsafe to drive and apparently some of the most incoherent shit came out of my mouth that she was embarrassed to take me out in public.  On the down side, it made my attacks worse and gave me terribly vivd nightmares.  Needless to say, you couldn't pay me to take it again.

As for the various abortives, I'm not interested in relief 20 - 40 minutes down the road.  I want it now.  Pills suck.  The closest thing I've found to that are Zomig Nasal Sprays (5 - 10 minutes) and Imitrex injections (5 - 7 minutes).  I am currently using the Imitrex injections.  I use a 1/2 dose and I get good, quick relief, most of the time without any major effect except pain relief.  YMMV, but I'd rather have a little prickly skin for a few minutes than feel like someone had driven a red hot railroad spike into my eye with a 2 pound shop hammer.

Definitely check into Oxygen.  Cheaper and fewer side effects than any other abortive out there and extremely effective when used right.

Again, welcome to the website.  Read, ask questions and read some more.  

IP Logged
Capt-Kilowatt
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #10 on: Nov 6th, 2005, 5:49pm »

on Nov 6th, 2005, 4:41pm, Gator wrote:
Welcome, dude.  I've just gotta ask, where the hell did you get that name?

lol....... it's my nickname at work.  I work for a large local power company out in the field..... lol
IP Logged

"I'm Your Huckleberry"
Sonnie_Parker
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #11 on: Nov 11th, 2005, 3:40am »

It is certainly strange how some meds work for some and others they won't.  That has always seemed to be one of the downsides of ch.

Depakote has been my dream come true.  Started with slowly working up to 1250mg day and after couple weeks ch gone completely.  Starting slowly dropping back down all the way to 250mg day and faint ch... seemed they wanted to come back but couldn't get started.  Went back to 500mg ER daily and never looked back for over 5 years now.  Never a side effect whatsoever.  Have depakote levels checked once annually and some other blood test run every couple years.

But... as some say... doesn't work for everyone.  If we found something that worked for everyone with no side effects... that would be like a cure wouldn't it?

Good luck!
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss