Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 7:08pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Lithium??? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Lithium???
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Lithium???  (Read 1658 times)
Changeling
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

Rehab is for Quitters

Lithium???
« on: Dec 17th, 2005, 9:21am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm sort of new here adn havent posted much befrore, but i need some help.........i have had episodic CH for 12 years, and was coping with it more or less successfully, but my last cycle started in June, adn hasn't stopped, adn Prof Goadsby at the Instittue of Neurology has just confirmed that it has switched to chronic CH Sad Angry.

I'm currently using O2 and verapamil, but it is not properly controlling it, and i can't increase th dose because i have (very mild) coronary heart disease......they suggested i try Lithium either with or as a replacement for verap. I hadn't realised lithium was used for CH, th only ppl i know on it are Bipolar, and while i now know that th dose is lower for CH, it has a long and impressive list of possible side effects, so i'm a bit wary of it........anyone here using it successfully? adn anyone  not? any advice will be welcome.

I am aware also of alternative treatments, some of which are controversial, and some illegal here, th uk site has a lot of problems with these treatments, but i am open to anything that will work.

tony
« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2005, 1:05pm by Changeling » IP Logged

'I'm the Changeling........see me Change' Jim Morrison
unsolved1

Email

Re: Lithium???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17th, 2005, 9:27am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Some use Lithium successfully and some don't. I've been on it 3 times now, never has worked for me.

Hope you have better luck

UNsolved
IP Logged
Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 17th, 2005, 10:41am »

It kicked the beast out of the door but unfortunately I'm allergic to it and get hives all over Sad
IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
Changeling
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

Rehab is for Quitters

« Reply #3 on: Dec 17th, 2005, 11:46am »

Not very positive so far then,,,,,,o well Undecided Sad
IP Logged

floridian

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 17th, 2005, 12:11pm »

Don't cross it off because of 2 negative replies.  There are many people who do benefit from lithium. Lithium is mostly used for chronic sufferers, but if you have become chronic, it is something to consider.  Jonny is one person that has done well with lithium, I believe.
« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2005, 12:14pm by floridian » IP Logged
Changeling
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

Rehab is for Quitters

« Reply #5 on: Dec 17th, 2005, 1:13pm »

No i will wait til i have more opinions to work on, i know 2 isnt a very big sample Wink
IP Logged

Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 17th, 2005, 1:38pm »

Your right, Flo!  Kiss

I was chronic for 30 years, 15 years ago I tried Verapamil and it did nothing.....I stopped taking it and tried Lithium and it also did nothing, my Doc then told me to take both of them (Said it was the chronics cocktail) at the same time.

Within two weeks more than 80% of my HA's never even showed up, I was finally living a decent life again.....Six years ago I found this message board and learned of 02, any break through HA's were killed with that....so I was nearly PF, but not completly

One year ago the HA's just stopped, I stopped taking all meds and have been PF since....Why?, I dont know and I really dont care as to why.....IM FREE!!!!

I hope it works for you as it did for me....good luck my friend!!
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

jon019

Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 17th, 2005, 2:47pm »

Thanks Jonny,

Gives me hope that this damn thing MIGHT someday go away.

Jon
IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 17th, 2005, 3:34pm »

on Dec 17th, 2005, 2:47pm, jon019 wrote:
Thanks Jonny,

Gives me hope that this damn thing MIGHT someday go away.

Jon

I like the name, Bro Grin

Charlie didnt suffer as long as I did and he has been PF for 14 years I believe......Never give up Bro, I didnt!

This shit could end for you tomorrow......just like it did for me.

Peace bro
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

jon019

Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 17th, 2005, 4:22pm »

Yeah Jonny,

Sometimes you feel like you are in the right place at the right time, like I do here.

It's almost spooky. My beloved Grandma was known to us as "Nannie", she called me "Jonny". Now I've found a nani and a Jonny and a whole bunch more when I needed it most.

When my Nannie went to church (after I stopped) I used to ask her, "Will you say a prayer for me?" She always answered, "Oh yes, you NEED it!"(with a twinkle in her eye, but I knew she meant it).

Prayers do get answered. Sometimes the pain goes away, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes you gain strength from what you have to overcome and sometimes you just survive. And SOMETIMES, a guy  
like DJ and a family like ch.com are there to give you what you can't get anywhere else!

Merry Christmas,

Jon
« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2005, 4:22pm by jon019 » IP Logged
AllClusteredUp
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #10 on: Dec 17th, 2005, 4:25pm »

Lithium is a well known drug that many people have done well with, & according to many articles I've read it seems to be the first choice.

It might work because cluster is a periodicity disorder and it's supposed to get your body clock back on track.

I didn't have any luck with it, I've been chronic for 12 years and no combination has worked for me, but that doesn't mean it won't for you.

From personal experience though, I can tell you that some of the other preventative drugs make Lithium look like a walk in the park!

Your doctor has a very good reputation. I'm making a rather long pilgrimmage to him very soon.
IP Logged
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #11 on: Dec 17th, 2005, 8:51pm »

Chronic over 11 years - spread over each day = 1,200mg Lithium Carbonate, combined with 720mg Verapamil and then 9mg Melatonin 30-45 minutes before bed has helped me significantly.  Spent a lot of time experimenting with dosages and best times to take each dose so keep good records and be prepared to work at it until you find a mix/dosage level and schedule that works.

Good luck and best wishes

Tom
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 17th, 2005, 10:09pm »

I did very well on it (relatively) for a few months.
I was on a very low dose but that is because I am very sensitive to most medications.
It helped stabilize my attacks.
Then literally out of the blue I started having adverse effects and gradually devloped toxicity and had to come off.
If it works you should know quickly.

good luck!

eric
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Dec 17th, 2005, 10:55pm »

Here's a good read on Lithium pulsing:

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=meds;action= display;num=1105293621
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #14 on: Dec 18th, 2005, 9:46am »

on Dec 17th, 2005, 10:09pm, E-Double wrote:
I did very well on it (relatively) for a few months.
I was on a very low dose but that is because I am very sensitive to most medications.
It helped stabilize my attacks.
Then literally out of the blue I started having adverse effects and gradually devloped toxicity and had to come off.
If it works you should know quickly.

good luck!

eric

Eric makes a good point here.  Lithium (like most meds. for treating CH) can be dangerous.  Constant monitoring is necessary i.e., blood serum levels/liver function tests are critical to avoiding physical damage from the drug.  I'm 6'6", 228# so I seem to tolerate higher doses fairly well.    

In addition, being aware of lithium intoxication is important.  Maintaining sodium levels is important here - If you are involved in activities that result in excessive sweating you are at risk.  One of the first indications I've found for this condition is a sudden/slight blurring of vision, if you ignore this you could be in for trouble.  For me it's time to stop working/sit out, cool down and hit many of the sports drinks that contain a lot of sodium and potassium and other neat stuff.

Be careful and aware of the side effects of meds.  The potential effects of long term use of some of these meds. is bad enough without ignoring the warning signs of adverse reactions.

Tom  

IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #15 on: Dec 18th, 2005, 6:00pm »

Lithium has been around forever.  The drs know how to watch for signs of trouble.  I took 900mg for two years and it made my 8 ha/day cut down to 4 ha a day.  Which was more manageable exspecially when you add oxygen therapy into the mix.  I had no side effects and loved being on it.  After two years it quit working at all for me and I found something else to work.  Good luck and dont worry.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Changeling
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

Rehab is for Quitters

« Reply #16 on: Dec 19th, 2005, 8:19am »

Hi thanks for all your replies, lots to think about. I guess i expected to get mixed views on this, apart from anything else this affliction seems to be so idiosyncratic i sometimes wonder if it's the same disease, Grin and certainly what works for one may not work at all for another,,,, i don't have to make up my mind yet, nothing will happen til after th holidays, so thxx again for all your help,

txxx
« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2005, 8:19am by Changeling » IP Logged

Wendy

Email

« Reply #17 on: Dec 19th, 2005, 8:42am »

Like Jonny I did the verapamil/lithium combo. It did work well for me. The side effects for me were minor hand trembles. But after while my short term memory was really bad. Thats when I stopped . I kinda needed that, I am now doing the seeds and am very happy so far with the results. I am a chronic but a Jonny wanta be too!! Grin
IP Logged
Changeling
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

Rehab is for Quitters

« Reply #18 on: Dec 20th, 2005, 2:04pm »

Thxx again for all your replies, stiil havent decided, nothing will happen til after th holidays, but i'm probably inclined to try th LSA seeds, i already have some, i think will try them for xmas Grin,

tony
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2005, 2:04pm by Changeling » IP Logged

cazman
New Board Veteran
USA 

if ya dont like it take a walk

kingcazman
Email

« Reply #19 on: Dec 22nd, 2005, 10:09pm »

i did the lithium thing sad to say it did little for me also tried neurontin no go there either tried lots of stuff o2 didnt help either . 3-4 doses of lsa and im going on 4 months pf  Wink but like its allready be said research anything your gonna take and check to make sure your not mixing anything that might hurt ya you should be totally detoxed off of anymeds before trying lsa as to get the full benefit.
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2005, 10:13pm by cazman » IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #20 on: Dec 29th, 2005, 2:25pm »

Lithium has been my first line drug for about the last 10 years. Takes a couple weeks to get going but then it's about 90% effective at blocking the ha's. My cycles go 2 to 3 months starting with 5's and 6's so lithium has spared me the skull crushers. When I was at 165 lbs. I was taking 1200 mg a day. I'm at 190 now so I suspect when I go in this time he'll kick it up.

Side effects, you pee....a LOT...the first few days, it does make you a bit lethargic and you do need to get familiar with the signs of toxicity. You have to do a lot of blood work when you first start to get the levels right. Good luck I hope it does for you what it did for me!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss