Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 1:14pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « prednisolone did`nt work »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   prednisolone did`nt work
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: prednisolone did`nt work  (Read 1062 times)
cher
New Board Junior

cherylbye
Email

prednisolone did`nt work
« on: Feb 24th, 2002, 9:00am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hi, just wondering who here has taken a course of prednisolone/predisone and it did`nt work?

i started on a course, starting at 8 for the first two days tapering down by two tablets every two days, this is what the doc prescribed.  Well, i`m on the last two tabs and am getting hit hard.

tomorrow will be another trip to the docs to see if i should up them again and to get more imitrex,imigran, to keep me sane.

God help you anyone who is suffering at the moment, i feel for you all so much, my head is up my arse, i`m on my own with two kids and worried sick.  But, I`m getting there slowly.  My sweetpea is 3000 miles away and can only help by me waking him up at 3 am in the morning, crying down the phone, thanks pumpkin for your help.  

god bless you all

and i love ya

cher x
IP Logged

cher x
susan

Email

Re: prednisolone did`nt work
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24th, 2002, 2:11pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I feel your pain sister.... I will pray for you and hope you find a pill, shot, etc... that kills the beast for you, much love and hope..... susan
IP Logged
Elizabeth

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 24th, 2002, 2:13pm »

Hi Cher x - can you give us a bit more information?  
You said 8 pills...how many mg per pill? 10mg pills?
Did you get any relief while on the prednisone? After the first day, my headaches decreased - while on 4 or more 10mg pills per day, I was almost headache free; once I went below 40mg, they returned.
Best of luck!
Liz
IP Logged
cher
New Board Junior

cherylbye
Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 24th, 2002, 2:25pm »

liz, the preds are 5mg, so that`s 8, 5mg tabs for two days, then 6 tabs for two days, 4 tabs for two days then two tabs till they are gone, but then i noticed there were still a load of pills still left in the bottle, the doc got it wrong, no wonder it has`nt worked.

how are you doing anyway?

love

cherx
IP Logged

cher x
Elizabeth

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 24th, 2002, 2:38pm »

wow, cher! pills left can't be a good thing... you're gonna call the doctor tomorrow, right?  

ty for asking how i'm doing.... I haven't found the right medication for me yet - I am trying alternative therapy that seems to be helping (nothing new folks...it's helped many already) although it's turning me into a complete b*tch! (don't say it, charlie.... just don't.....)
I'm always happy to be able to say that I'm vertical - some days that's about the best I can do, other than saying 'I'm breathing'  ;D

Good luck, cher! Keep us posted!
Liz
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2002, 8:12pm by Elizabeth » IP Logged
KarenT

Email

Here's the problem...
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25th, 2002, 12:14pm »

That's basically a Medrol Dose Pack, something that's really only good for poison oak/ivy and other assorted rashes. At least that's what the neuro that got Will on the right regimen told me. (only after we had gone through the whole pack given by another neuro) Smiley  

He said that it takes higher doses of Prednisone for a longer period of time. This guy's dad has CH so I felt I had to trust that he knew what he was talking about. Dr Callahan put Will on Prednisone 80mg daily for 5 days,then 60mg for 5 days, 40mg for 5, 20mg for 5 and finished with 10mg for 5. He also told him to take one over the counter Pepcid/Zantac and one Tum daily. Said it would decrease the irritation of the stomach lining due to the Prednisone and the Tum would help with calcium replacement (we were doing Verapamil at the time).

I hope today finds you feeling a lot better.  Kiss
IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 25th, 2002, 6:34pm »

If you haven't done so already, start a preventative at the same time as your initial doses of the pred. When the affects of the pred begin to taper off, the preventative should kick in. I use verapimil
IP Logged
bdenkew

Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 25th, 2002, 8:57pm »

Cher,
  Not sure if there is a difference between the dosage of prednisone and prednisolone, but I've always had to start with at least 60-80mg of prednisone per day for about five days before I was headache-free enough to begin to taper down. This last time I even had to go to 100 mg for a couple of days.  

Also, do your best to get completely off prednisone for as long as possible at the end of every cycle.  I didn't and now have numerous side effects as a result.

Best of Luck.
bdenkew
IP Logged
cher
New Board Junior

cherylbye
Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 26th, 2002, 7:13am »

hiya den and everyone else who has replied who to my post, i went back to the docs yesterday, well, for starters, he thought he was seeing my son, when the appointment was made for me, then, he did`nt even have my records out, then he asked me if i was having a cluster right then, huh?  If i was and i wasn`t, I`d have scared the shit out of him.

he gave me a repeat prescription for the imitrex and also asked me to try in tablet form, Almotriptan, and, then gave me a bottle of 100, 5mg prednisolone tablets.

So I asked him, do i start the course again like last time starting at 8 tablets of 5mg and taper down again?

he said, i don`t know, what do you think?

well, i just told him the cluster did`nt break through on that amount so i would start at 8 again but taper down a bit slower this time, decrease by one instead of two.

he warned me that if i was to go over two weeks on these steroids i would be prone and at risk of developing diabetes, osteoporosis and other such ailments.

Well, to me the guy just did`nt have much of a clue how to prescribe the medicatoin but knew how they would effect me in the long run, seems a bit irish to me.

Anyway, i managed to get through the morning without getting hit so i was grateful for that at least.

It seems like many of us are our own doctors and do know more than they do, I`ve offered to give info to the docs, but in reply, `I hav`nt got time to read all that`

How the hell can they expect to treat all their patients correctly when they hav`nt got the time to even know how to start with one.

beats me.

well you guys have a good day

love ya

cher x
IP Logged

cher x
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 26th, 2002, 10:27am »

Hi Sweetie,

so sorry you're hurting again AND that you've got a nimrod neuro...

K, here's what Mike did.  He started with a Pred burst - 3 days at 80 mgs., then tapering off by 5 mgs a day.  Took him 17 days to do the course of the pred.  By the second day, he did get a break but as he tapered, the clusters came back.   He didn't like the side effects of the pred at all.  The pred robbed Mike of his ability to control his emotions while under attack.  He's always done very well with that aspect, unmedicated.

He also started a course of Verapamil, slowing building up to 720 mgs. a day.  No real change in his attacks, once the pred got out of his system.  In fact, Mike has just gone through the longest cycle EVER.  He's at month 5 now.  He's usually only ever gone 2-3 months max.  We did have to decrease the verapamil and switch him to the SR version because of heart palpitations.  Imitrex inhalers were able to abort a few attacks, but certainly not all.  O2 stopped working for him as well.

However, dare I jinx him, I can see signs the cycle is finally dieing out.  48 hours between attacks right now and the attacks are weaker.  Bigger, however, we've weaned him OFF the verapamil.  He's not taking anything now.  The Beast is dieing a natural death now, instead of a medicated one.

Just food for thought, Cher.  I'm not saying you should go through your cycle unmedicated.  Not at all.  Just letting you know how this last one went for us.

Hugs
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
MOB

Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 26th, 2002, 10:42am »

Hi Cher  Smiley

Here is what Goadsby has to say:

"We start patients on oral prednisolone 1mg/kg to a maximum of 60mg once daily for five days, then decrease the dose by 10mg every three days. Unfortunately, relapse almost invariably occurs because the dose is tapered. For this reason, steroids are used as an initial therapy in conjunction with preventatives, until the latter are effective."

Hope that helps Smiley

Hope you get PF soon !!

Best Wishes,

Michael (MOB)
IP Logged
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Friends don't let friends post drunk on mbs......

Email

« Reply #11 on: Feb 26th, 2002, 4:07pm »

Several years ago, i was on prednisone...i was at work, at the drug cart giving out meds...one of the nurses said my neck turned red,and it ran up my face...i felt my pulse start racing...they had to rush me to the ER where my blood pressure was sky high...wont ever try a high dose of prednisone again....i do have a med pack here i have thought about doing if i get really desperate ...wish i could help you more...
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss