Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 4:53pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « help me find a good medicine »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   help me find a good medicine
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: help me find a good medicine  (Read 330 times)
MANDY

Email

help me find a good medicine
« on: Mar 12th, 2002, 3:50pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

i was recently diagnosed with cluster headaches, my dr put me on pred and imitrex, after fioricet didnt work. the pred worked after a couple days, the imitrex spray only made it worse, is there a pain medication that would work quickly until the pred kicks into my system?
IP Logged
kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: help me find a good medicine
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12th, 2002, 6:09pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hey Mandy,  sorry about the chs.  How many attacks are you currently getting?  Pred and imitrix is a commonly prescribed medication.  There is tons of other stuff available.  Surf around this website and you'll get some ideas!  As for the fiorecet (sp), I would use sparingly (i know, i know) because it is a narcotic and can easily aggravate chs if you take too much.  I was getting hit bad 6 - 8 times a day and popping those babies like candy for months at a time and boy o boy did i get sick - so EASY DOES IT WITH PAIN PILLS!!!!  What else are you doing to cope besides the medication?  Wishing you PFDAN - Kim
IP Logged
Ann
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Annage

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 12th, 2002, 7:43pm »

Hi Mandy!  Sorry you're getting hit.  I've been using imitrex injections since last september and I don't ever want to change meds!  It gets rid of an attack within 5 minutes.  I'm also taking verapamil as a preventatvie as well.  You may want to check those out.

Good luck and PFDAN to all
IP Logged
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Friends don't let friends post drunk on mbs......

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 12th, 2002, 7:51pm »

Good advice Ann...verapamil is the one preventative with the least side effects...worked for me for almost a year....and i love my imitrex shots...cant live without them...Good luck Mandy...sorry for your diagnosis....you will be in my prayers... Cheesy
IP Logged
chjohn
New Board Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Mar 12th, 2002, 8:19pm »

Doctor prescribed Prednisone, and Hydrocodone for me, neither worked at all. I'm going thru it with no medication. I was told that Prednisone works best when taken with a preventative, and if you look at the medication survey on this site, the folks that have responded say Imitrex is the most effective medication for pain (or to abort an attack), next effective (from what they say, and I believe them), is oxygen.
Hot water, water(lots of water), and coffee, can help, it's what I am using.
Recommend looking up the possible, side effects of prescribed medications, on other websites, I type in the name of the drug in the Google.com search engine search box. Can be scary though.
John
IP Logged

Ignorance is refreshing
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 12th, 2002, 9:51pm »

You might want to try another triptan and see if that works like amerge, maxalt or zomig.  Also oxygen is a great help for many people.  Percacet, vicodin, stadol ns all help in aborting or atleast dulling the pain.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Mar 13th, 2002, 11:46am »

I'm on a form of triptan (maxalt) and a seizure med (neurontin).  So far I'm doing pretty good with them.  Vicadin can cause nausea and lack of appetite.  Once again, Pain meds are a catch 22 and be careful.  I'm a veteran with that and it is dangerous for the ch cycle.  I've been reading about melatonin  - check it out.  Also, try having a cup of strong coffee when you feel the attack coming.  The caffeine is a natural analgesic.  This is present in most painmeds.  PFDAN!  Kim
IP Logged
Marijke
New Board Junior
Belgium 

Nice board!

WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 14th, 2002, 1:15pm »

Hi Mandy,

Stupid thing with cluster: what helps me may not help you. What helped in the past may not help in a next cycle.
Having said this, the combo that works good to very good for me is:
- indocin 100 mg suppo's before bedtime for about 4 nights when the attacks start coming
- verapamil, 360 mg (morning 120, evening 240). Effective dose for you could be higher (up to 920 mg)
- oxygen during attacks, helps in around 5 minutes. Flow rate of around 8-9 liters/minute.

Hope this helped!

Hang in there,

Marijke
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss