Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 1:09pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Verapamil side effects? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Verapamil side effects?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Verapamil side effects?  (Read 381 times)
SusanM
New Board Newbie

Email

Verapamil side effects?
« on: Mar 17th, 2002, 7:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have been taking Verapamil for about 6 weeks now, first started with 180mg, then 360mg, and for the past week, I've been on 480mg daily.  I've also been taking Bextra, a new anti-inflammatory (the sister-med to Celebrex...but for those who are allergic to sufla and can't take Celebrex).  
I have been having a lot of swelling, particulary in my feet, hands, and thighs.  I've read that this is a side effect of higher doses of verapamil.  
I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this..and if so, did it finally go away with a longer duration of use?
Any other side effects noticed with this dose?

Thanks for your input!!!

SusanM ???
IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

Re: Verapamil side effects?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17th, 2002, 10:52pm »

I had a problem with water retention and swelling.  My dr. perscribed a medicine for me to take for awile for it.  Eventually the side effect went away on its own.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 17th, 2002, 10:53pm »

I had a problem with water retention and swelling.  My dr. perscribed a medicine for me to take for awile for it.  Eventually the side effect went away on its own.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 17th, 2002, 10:54pm »

IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 17th, 2002, 10:54pm »

IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 17th, 2002, 10:55pm »

IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 17th, 2002, 10:55pm »

IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
justin
New Board Veteran
USA 

what it is...

jdo201
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 18th, 2002, 3:17pm »

fx for me are light headed ness and constipation. i lowed from 480 to 320 on my own and the ch stopped for the last four days (knock on wood) and the sides went away. weird.  

jd
IP Logged

if any clusterheads in NYC want to get together shoot me an email justinott@mac.com
Lori
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 29th, 2002, 4:42pm »

The first thing I noticed when doc started me on 360mg varapamil 3/19 was it made my HA's worse. I was tempted to stop it but didn't. By 3/22 I was HA free. I returned to neuro for follow up visit 3/28...said still HA free but could tell still in cycle...knocking at door kinda feeling few times a day but not breaking through. Well, he told me to increase verap to 480mg a day...so took that dose 3/28...by late that nite felt HA starting to break through...but went away...by this AM, 3/29, first bad HA since 3/22 and sick! Heart palpatations, neausea, weak...felt like something was really wrong...decided to go back to 360 mg today! I think 480 is too much for me. Has anyone else noticed ggetting worse HA's with verap? My doc doesn't seem to think it will cause HA but this is second time now. I did become HA free so it was worth it, but why is it doctors don't believe what you tell them? This is twice..once when started meds and second when increased dose...no connection??? I guess it's not a big deal, but I felt so sick like I was going to die this moring and they just wanted me to continue the higher dose and let them know Monday how I was doing. No, I don't think so. Spend Easter weekend sick? No thanks.
« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2002, 4:46pm by Lori » IP Logged

Blessings and PFDAN,
Lori

Psalm 23:4 ~ Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
vcat

Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 30th, 2002, 12:33am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

i forget my dosage but like all said and the last one too, i had problems w/ sweating and major heart problems. put in icu for 1 week. mild heart attack. list it as an allergy. another of the many i have tried and didnt work.
IP Logged
ave

Email

« Reply #10 on: Mar 30th, 2002, 6:00am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I have had swollen ankles mostly, but when I stopped Verapamil after my episode finished, the swelling went away.

Interestingly, Simon from the UK site reported that while upping his Vera dose helped a few times, lowering the dose helpeds as well!  

I am curious to see if this works for you.  

So have a pf easter!
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss