Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 4:22pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Re: Question on Verap. »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Re: Question on Verap.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Re: Question on Verap.  (Read 486 times)
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« on: Mar 18th, 2002, 8:28am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I do know it was in the 400's I started to experience every side effect known and gave up on the medicine because it was doing nothing for me at the lower dose.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Marc
New Board Newbie
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #1 on: Mar 18th, 2002, 10:00am »

Hi Charles,

My Neuro didn't want me above 425-450 mg, but it wasn't working so I raised it up to 540 mg on my own.  Keep in mind I was going in for regular visits so they were watching my BP and heart rate.

Once it kicked in, I tapered it back down to 450 mg for a month, then down to 360 mg where I've been for 1-1/2 years.  Every so often, I try to taper down more but I quickly get reminded that I'm still chronic Undecided

You will find others on this board who have taken over 900 mg per day, but that will require very close monitoring by your doctor.

We are all different, but I suspect that somewhere around 450 mg Verap along with the Lithium may work wonders for you!

Good luck!
IP Logged
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Friends don't let friends post drunk on mbs......

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 18th, 2002, 6:00pm »

Hey, son, where you been????  Missed you..btw, you got mail....about the verap, the first time I took it, I was on 480mg...was pf for about nine months...then the doc took me off of it because I was swelling...ankles and feet and hands...the next time I went back on it, 480mg did nothing for me...so it was upped to 720mg slowly...it did not help...I then lowered it and it helped me some...but not alot...Good to see you back..hope this helps some.. Cheesy ps..i never would have known this post was yours if you had not told me LOL
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2002, 6:02pm by nancyc » IP Logged
SusanM
New Board Newbie

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 18th, 2002, 7:18pm »

The max dose per day for verapamil is 480mg.  However,
at this dose, the side effects occur.  I'm experiencing this personally...with the swelling and all.  But my attacks are just about gone and it's more like shadows.
Much much much much more liveable than before, but I don't know how long I can tolerate the swelling.
Today, my doc has prescribed Lasix, a diuretic, for the swelling...so I'll try that and see what happens.  I am not sure I want to go off of the verapamil until I'm confident this cycle is over.

Sometimes I feel like there is no easy answer...it's a matter of what you can live with.

Hope this helps.

SusanM
IP Logged
Mikey
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Rock till ya Drop and DON'T mess with the FAM!!!!!

MGuitarM
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 18th, 2002, 7:52pm »

Hi Charles, I'm am currently on 480 mg of Verapamil along with Depakote,prozac and Lithium 900mg a day.
I have seen minor emprovement but still having 4-5 attacks per day.  I've only been on the Lithium for 2 weeks now so maybe it will change soon.  My Doc is not wanting to go up on the Verap. because of the swelling I'm already having. Hope this helps some.

Mikey,  Grin
IP Logged

I love to ROCK very HARD!!!

CHRONIC and going crazy!! Want to come too?

Hope for PFDAN, peace and safety to you all!!
Ueli

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 18th, 2002, 7:55pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Charles,

What are the reasons your neuro wont up the Verapamil? Does he not believe what our Pope says, LOL.

Here a quote from Correct management of cluster headaches by Prof Peter Goadsby and Dr Manjit Matharu:

Verapamil is the preventative drug of choice in both episodic and chronic CH. Clinical experience has demonstrated that higher doses than those used in cardiological indications are needed, so outpatient assessment and follow-up is appropriate. The dose is increased until the cluster attacks are suppressed, side-effects intervene or the maximum dose of 960mg daily is achieved.

Maybe you print out above article, mark the quoted passage and show it to your neuro. At least I would be reluctant to take 1350mg of Lithium while still at a very low dose of Verapamil.

PFNAD's,
Ueli
IP Logged
RichardN
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

lastchantsranch   babbleontn
Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 19th, 2002, 11:50am »

Hi Charles - - - Doc just put me on Verap (120mg) a month ago.  Have an appointment in two hours - - - - will be requesting increas in dosage (180-240).  Since on Verapamil, my CHs have reduced from 3-5-7 per day to  2-3 per day.  Intensity of most dropped also (Tho' he kicked my butt last night).  Alchohol was trigger for me - - -stopped cold 5-6 weeks ago - - - - - water, water,water - - - - - and total change in diet - - - - have cut way back on cigs and know I must quit.   I'm chronic (1yr+), but at least have a little hope now.  Expect to get some med ox today.  Be well and PFDAN to ya' Richard
IP Logged

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss