Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 7:23pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Need Advice! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Need Advice!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Need Advice!  (Read 277 times)
Linda T
New Board Old Timer

Email

Need Advice!
« on: Mar 19th, 2002, 9:31am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm just hitting my 4th month in cycle.  I am waiting for the neuro to call me today about some new treatment.  Here's what I've tried so far:

Was on 50mg Elavil a day for about 3 months.  No effect.

Took 2 courses of pred - 1 10 day taper course and 1 15 day taper course.  That was in January.

Now taking 500mg Depakote a day for 3 weeks.  No effect.

Have 50mg imitrex pills.  Slow to work, however, will put off at least one attack per day.  For instance, if I take the imitrex during my 10p attack I avoid the 2a attack and get hit again at 6a.  If I tough out the 10p, take it at 2a I skip the 6a.

Tried lightening up on the imitrex since I took about 60 tabs in 1 month and my stomach started feeling the effects.  That lasted about 1 week and now I'm starting the imitrex again.

Major sleep deprevation going on here.

My question:  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what course of treatment I should try next?  I've been reading alot about of the success of verapamil but I'm unsure whether this only works for chronics and not episodics (at this point I still like to hope that I'm episodic).  Lithium sounds kinda harsh with the liver and all.  But then again, all of the meds suck anyway.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.  PFDAN always, Linda T.
IP Logged

What a long, strange trip it's been!
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

Re: Need Advice!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19th, 2002, 10:02am »

verapamil and lithium are both good starting points.  Lithium is not so toxic.  They have used this medicine for years and have it down to a science now.  They monitor your levels with a blood test and know what doeses to start you at.  I liked being on it.  Unfortuantely it only gave me 90% freedom.  I wanted 100% and found it in indocin.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 19th, 2002, 12:54pm »

Linda,

Unfortunately treatment is a hit & miss w/ each individual...verapamil is a very innocent medicine with the proper blood pressure monitoring if you are concerned..works for both chronic and episodic.....it's been years since i've been on lithium so I can't advise on that....during my most recent episode (which i'm on the tail-end of now) i've been on the anti-seizure medications (DHE, Keppra and Topomax) while remaining on the the Verap....

Just continue to do your research - knowledge is the best thing you can bring to your appointment...

Good luck to you......

NotH20   Smiley
IP Logged
Linda T
New Board Old Timer

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 19th, 2002, 2:48pm »

Thanks all for the feedback.  I just got off the phone with my neuro and here's the deal:

I will start taking amerge with the imitrex during the 1st attack (usually 10p).  He thinks that this will prolong the relief and I should start getting some sleep. He also gave me 500 mg of aleve which I am to take daily.  If I don't feel any improvement by Friday he will double my depakote to 1000mg.

Keep you posted.  Thanks.

PFDAN always, Linda T.
IP Logged

What a long, strange trip it's been!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss