Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 1:26pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « HELP! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   HELP!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: HELP!  (Read 360 times)
SusanM
New Board Newbie

Email

HELP!
« on: Apr 4th, 2002, 6:09pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have been in cycle since Dec. 21, and I'm ready for it to be GONE!!!  I was on verapamil 480mg for awhile, with all the swelling and constipation.  It seemed to work in the sense that the duration of the attacks went down a bit as well as dropping a level in the pain intensity.  I dropped back down to 360mg and haven't noticed much difference in the attacks...just that my swelling and stuff is decreasing.  In past years, I tried Imitrex...with no help, just made me feel extremely "weird"...shaking, chest pain, and the next morning I look like death-warmed-over! ugh!  
However, I've been missing soooo much work (thank goodness for FMLA in saving my job), first missed a few days here and there..as I could tolerate, then things got worse...missed a week and a half...managed to work the following week full time, but now have been out almost two weeks now (will be that on Mon.)  I take Lortab to help with the pain, but I've been in search of an abortive to help...I'm up all night...sometimes unable to sleep for days at a time...even taking sleeping meds doesn't stop the beast from waking me up.  I've tried 02 with no luck, actually made the next attacks more severe.  
In desperation, my dr and I decided to try some more of the tryptans.  Zomig and Amerge.  Last night, when the beast started his nightly parade, I took on 2.5mg Zomig....about 30 mins later had some of the edge off, but had that funny feeling again, and my hands and legs felt "tingly".  However, it was manageable...2 hours later, took another 2.5mg tab.  After an hour, still with the funny feelings and stuff...I was able to attempt some sleep...about 4 hours worth..until BAM!  That beast started at it again.  I went ahead and took a Lortab...hoping that on an empty stomach it would help fast to relieve some of this pain (Lortab 10 is what I take).  However, I really started to get dizzy and felt really really weird.  My husband said I seemed "off"...I wonder if I was having some reactions between the two meds...everything seemed to be in slow-motion for awhile.  I couldn't sleep at first, the bed kept spinning, in addition to the dance I was doing.  However, after a few hours I slept for awhile.  When I awoke, I did notice a slight rash on my neck and chest area...it went away about an hour later.  
I'm wondering if I should try the Amerge this time tonight?  The package insert says to wait 24 hours after taking another tryptan.  My question for all of you...how often in a 24 hour period have you taken any trytpans..and have you mixed brands throughout the day.  Has Zomig worked for anyone? Or is Amerge better?  I am thinking of trying the Imitrex nasal spray, dr. gave me a script for it, but want to wait before filling it...might not be covered on my ins...so I'm trying these samples instead..per his suggestion.
Any advice, comments, or help you can give...I would greatly appreciate it!  I need to find a way to get sleep at night, be able to go back to work, and just get my life back!  Kill the beast!
Thank you everyone...and I apologize for the long, long post! Thanks for hanging in there till the end of it!
PFDAN to all!
SusanM
IP Logged
Linda T
New Board Old Timer

Email

Re: HELP!
« Reply #1 on: Apr 4th, 2002, 6:39pm »

Hi Susan.  Sorry you're not well and that the meds are throwing you off.

I took 50mg imitrex tab and 1mg amerge tab when my first cluster hit at around 10p each nite.  My neuro said that it would last longer and allow me to get some sleep.  And it actually did for a few nites.  However, I found that when the nightime attacks abated they started hitting me in the middle of the day.  I can't say for sure if it was the imitrex and/or amerge combination but I can tell you that I laid off for a few nights and no more daytime attacks.  Last night I took only 1 imitrex and slept the nite.  Could be the 1000mg depakote finally working or could be the end.  I can't say for sure.

I'm not a doc but it sounds like you're taking alot of meds in a short time.  In this section of the board go down to where I posted a question "? imitrex & amerge".  I got alot of useful information about the triptans there.

The only side effects that I've had with the imitrex (and this happened after a few weeks of eating 1-2 per day) was a raw stomach.  Lots of acid indigestion.  But otherwise, I was ok.

Hope you can get some rest tonite.  PFDAN always, Linda T.
IP Logged

What a long, strange trip it's been!
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Friends don't let friends post drunk on mbs......

Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 4th, 2002, 7:11pm »

Linda, maybe some of the acid is coming from the depakote..stomach upset is one of the main side effects...I have heard that the short acting depakote, (called depakene or valporic acid ) works better . ...that is what i am on...but it is more irritating to the stomach....So far I have not had this problem..fingers crossed LOL... ;D
« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2002, 7:12pm by nancyc » IP Logged
Ueli

Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 4th, 2002, 7:18pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Susan,
Neither Zomig nor Amerge are very usefull as abortives, they take too long to kick in.  
However, I have good results with Amerge just before going to bed. It's relatively long action time can keep away some nightly attacks.

PFNAD's
Ueli   Cheesy
IP Logged
kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Apr 4th, 2002, 7:26pm »

Hey Susan,

Oh boy, girl you are having a hard time!  It sounds as if the Cluster is just whirly burlyin you.  Sounds familiar to me. I had similar experience two years ago while taking depakote with imitrex.  I lost 20 lbs.  People at work called me jenny craig girl.  had tough time like you.  The stress of it all alone will exaccerbate (sp) the situation.  
I can't support the depakote thing, but we are all different.  Prayers to you.  Kim
IP Logged
SusanM
New Board Newbie

Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 4th, 2002, 8:30pm »

oops!  
The new med I'm going to try is AXERT, not Amerge.
I'm really sorry...I just looked at the pkg and realized my error!

Anyone taken Axert before?
SusanM
IP Logged
Ann
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Annage

Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 4th, 2002, 8:35pm »

Hi sorry you're being hit so hard.  I'm with Ueli on this one.  I've been taking amerge 2.5 mg before bedtime for over a month now and have not been having any night time attacks.  If I get hit during the day or evening I use imitrex injections.  They work like a charm.  I know what you mean about the side effects, but I've found that if I use only half a dose I don't get the throat tightness or any of the other stuff.  I kept hearing that you shouldn't mix the 2 triptans..but my neuro is the one who suggested it and it's been working..at least at night!  From what I understand, the reason they say not to mix them is to make sure you don't go over your daily dose..ie: 2 imitrex shots in 24 hours.
Good luck to you and I hope this helps!
IP Logged
Ueli

Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 4th, 2002, 9:07pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Axert and Amerge are very similar, so Axert should be useful as short time preventative for the night too.
IP Logged
SusanM
New Board Newbie

Email

« Reply #8 on: Apr 4th, 2002, 10:33pm »

Thank you all for your help!
I will try taking the Axert tonight as a preventative and not wait for the big "event", actually I'll take it right now.  I've been getting brief, but painful, "shootings" for the past few hours...hmmm.
Oh, the dose I have for the Axert is 12.5mg tabs.

My dr. did mention trying depakote but he is thinking I may be near the end of this cycle.  My cycles usually only last 4-6 weeks,(this one is over triple that time frame!) and he feels bad that he wasn't more aggressive with this one (wishing he would of used the depakote and maybe verapamil together).
Anyway, I hope tonight is the ticket to a good night's sleep!

Thank you again everyone for all your help!  It's really a great feeling knowing I'm not alone in this!
I'll keep you all posted!

PFDAN to all!
SusanM
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss