Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 11:35am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Fioricet »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Fioricet
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Fioricet  (Read 253 times)
qhectic

Email

Fioricet
« on: Apr 5th, 2002, 7:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Cry
Hello, I hope someon can give me some good advice on what meds to us for cluster headaches.  I have been having these headaches for 4 weeks stright now and I cannot take it anymore. I was just prescribed fioricet, has anyone used this and has it worked.  

Please help

ROE
IP Logged
kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Fioricet
« Reply #1 on: Apr 5th, 2002, 8:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi Roe,

I'm sorry you are in such pain!  Who prescribed the Fioricet?  did dr. explain why prescribing Firoicet?  The only saving grace with fioricet is it contains loads of caffeine (caffeine has always helped ME - not everyone).  It is also addicting and can aggravate ch big time in the long run.  Be careful with it.  Not (in my humble opinion) a credible treatment for ch.  I hope that you will see a good neuro.  That will get you started in the right direction.  Hang in and feel better.  Kim
PS:  Tons of treatment options available on this website, check them out!
IP Logged
Lori
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 5th, 2002, 8:37pm »

I would start by calling around to find a neurologist that treats cluster headaches. Ask the receptionsit if the doc treats clusters...at least that may help get you a good neuro...hopefully. From what I've read here and been told by my neuro (which seemed to fall in line with what I've read here and through the links here)...verapamil seems to be the choice drug for preventing CH and prednisone to interupt a cycle while giving the verapamil a chance to kick in. My personal experience is this....Doc put me on 360mg Verapamil SR daily...3 days later I was headache free. It has been two weeks and I have only had two small HA's (small-like 4's on kip scale that hot shower and hot sauce under tongue got rid of in 10 minutes) Other than that...some twinges of pain on and off. I have also been on Topamax 50 mg. which I started 1 1/2 weeks before verapamil(my family doc had started me on this before I got in with the neuro). It might have helped but not sure. The HA's never peaked and I think they should have been at peak period before verapamil would have kicked in...so...it's hard to say. The neuro let me stay on topamax since I was already on it and we decided not to try pred this time because I was already  3/4 of the way through my cycle and not in severe pain. The neuro increased my topamax to 100mgs the other day since I had a breakthrough HA...just incase(I was scared). I never had a cycle with so little pain like this. I have been incredibly blessed. I hope you will research all the links and become informed before going to the doctor. I spent hours reading this stuff so I had knowledge about these meds before going. I didn't want to mess around this time! I was determined to get help and not be left in pain like years past! I also have zomig to abort if I get HA's. It's not the fastest acting of the abortives...mostly people seem to use imitrex injections it seems...but the zomig I like because the HA's were not  so bad that I couldn't wait for the zomig to kick in and it lasts a long time for me...so I guess you'd just have to try different things to find what's best for you. I hope this helps...sorry it's so long.

Good luck and PFDAN..
IP Logged

Blessings and PFDAN,
Lori

Psalm 23:4 ~ Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 5th, 2002, 9:06pm »

IF you have clusters, chuck the fioricette.  It's good for tension headaches but not clusters.

As a headache abortive you need one of the triptans or oxygen.

For preventatives prednisone, verapamil or one of the anti-convulsives.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 6th, 2002, 1:40pm »

I tried fioricette and it did nothing for me.  However, I think it is worth it for you to try.  If it doesn't work also ask to try percacet and vicodin.  The best abortives are oxygen, imitrix (and other triptans such as zomig, amerge, maxalt).
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss