Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 10:13am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Coming out of cycle or is it the medicine?? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Coming out of cycle or is it the medicine??
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Coming out of cycle or is it the medicine??  (Read 198 times)
marcko00

Email

Coming out of cycle or is it the medicine??
« on: Apr 7th, 2002, 8:44am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi,
I was wondering, how do you tell if you are coming out of a cycle, or is it the preventative (pred and v) kicking in?  What is the downside of taking these meds longterm if you are out of the cycle and don't need them

Thanks,
Mark
IP Logged
Lori
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: Coming out of cycle or is it the medicine??
« Reply #1 on: Apr 7th, 2002, 12:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This is my first cycle ever being treated with proper meds. I am on verapamil and topamax. Never did start pred because by the time I was able to get to the neuro, I was 4 weeks into my cycle. Usually my cycles last only 6 weeks and usually get a cycle once every 2 years. So, I am in my 7th week and it is not over yet but I have not had explosive ha's since meds kicked in. Only took 3 days for verapamil to kick in for me. May not be the case for everyone. I see myself as blessed. So I'd rather prolong my cycle if that be the case with much less pain than what I would have been in for without the meds. I am assuming I will know my cycle is over when i know longer feel shadows, twinges or any breakthrough HA's. This is just my experience...but like I said this is the first time I've ever been diagnosed and treated for my CH and I've been episodic for 12 yrs.  
Good luck and PFDAN
IP Logged

Blessings and PFDAN,
Lori

Psalm 23:4 ~ Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Apr 7th, 2002, 12:11pm »

Lori, was glad to hear you doing so well  Us episodics are blessed comparatively speaking.  Big Smile and best wishes.

As for coming out of cycle, you will "feel it".  That's my best (feeble) explanation.  HOWEVER, regarding pred (prednisone?).  I THINK that it is a no no to take prednisone long term.  I only used it once (going back some years)  I think you are supposed to wean off it.  I also think that it could be detrimental to suddenly stop taking it.  So, my advice is to ask your doctor about letting go of the meds.  Good luck! Smiley Kim
PS:  I made the really dumb mistake and just stopped taking it.  Well, you had to be there, but it was HIDEOUS.  Totally palsied me out and face went red and flushed to the point scared the hell outa me.  I went to get out of bed and literally HIT THE FLOOR.  And so, reiterating the importance to keep communication w/dr.
IP Logged
NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 7th, 2002, 2:22pm »

I totally agree with Kim - Prednisone should NOT be taken for a long period of time.  It is a drug that is given to you to shock your system and to give you some relief from the beast...and maybe even allow your body to react with the other meds you are taking....Prednisone should be tappered off - not stopped all together.  Definitely check with your doc on this med - also check out this site and OUCH for some more specifics.

As for the Verapamil - my neuro says that drug is okay to be on for a longer period of time - it's one of the more "innocent" drugs (if that exists ??? )  Depending on your dosage, you may need to have your blood pressure checked periodically.

If you are out of a cycle - you probably want to give your body a rest from all medication if at all possible.  I'm not a doc, but I would think that our bodies need a break from all that we put them thru to get some relief....

Good luck to you,
NotH20
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss