Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 7:19am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Wierd treatment question »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Wierd treatment question
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Wierd treatment question  (Read 422 times)
RevDeFord
New Board Old Timer

Pain is real if the neighbors know you have it!

WWW Email

Wierd treatment question
« on: Oct 3rd, 2002, 6:40pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I was in an episode several years ago that blew me away.  I had always had 15 minute clusters, but this particular night it had lasted for over an hour when I called the ambulance to come and get me.

The doctors in the ER were very nice and treated me exceptionally well - course I worked for the CEO at the time, so that might have had something to do with it.  They tried the usual - oxygen, which I had already done, imitrex injection......

When it was obvious that I was in agony and there was nothing that was working, they called in a Neuro.  After talking with me for a minute, he pulled out this huge freaking needle and said that he would like to try injecting lidocain, a local anethetic directly into my nose, but that it was dangerous.  He couldn't guarantee anything.

I felt like I was drowning when he injected me, but within 30 seconds the cluster was gone.

Question:  Would it even be feasible to get a local anesthetic of some kind in a syringe without a needle and drip it into the nostrils during an attack?

Has anyone experienced this?

If not, if there is anyone here who has a close relationship with their doc, I wonder if it would be worth a try.
IP Logged

I don' know why it hurts, but I pray it will stop.
domm
New Board Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Re: Wierd treatment question
« Reply #1 on: Oct 3rd, 2002, 6:52pm »

Rev - hit the search button (upper right) and type in *lidocaine* and go, you'll find tons of posts about this method of treatment. I have never tried it myself. It does sound like what you're looking for is available.
good luck and PF days to you
domm
IP Logged
Nasser
New Board Newbie

Think logic

« Reply #2 on: Oct 4th, 2002, 12:01am »

Couple of years ago soon after my root canal..and soon after started having my CH ( not knowing they were CH)  
My dentist droped one drop of a local anesthetic and 10sec later the CH was gone..

However, I never felt comfortable with this method and the neurologist at the time advised me not use to this method. Mind u that neurologist diagnosed my CH as a Migrane (at that time).
IP Logged

Do the do before the do does you
dawnofmarch

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 4th, 2002, 8:29pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

i work for a dentist and have easy acess to lido, syringes and needles.  i wonder if you drip lido into your nostril, w/out injecting, if might have the same effect.  i don't suffer myself, but maybe i can talk my boyfriend into donating his head to "research".  do you know what % lido it was?  it would be good to know.  also, do you know if it had epi in it?  let me know
IP Logged
RevDeFord
New Board Old Timer

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 4th, 2002, 9:10pm »

He did not mention how much it was, but I know it was a big freakin needle.  I do remember that when it was in my throat - a large amount dripped into my throat and I thought I was going to gag - it didn't particularly burn or anything as I suspect it might if it were 100%

I was kind of thinking that dripping would be the way to go.  I wouldn't think it would take as much as he gave me as I ended up swallowing half of it.

I would say start with the minimum mixture you do and maybe one of the smallest syringes half way full?

My imitrex nasal is absorbed pretty quickly, so I would think the lidocain would be too.

I am interested in hearing the result.
IP Logged

RevDeFord
New Board Old Timer

WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 4th, 2002, 9:12pm »

By the way, I remember laying down on the bed and him going to the head of the bed and tilting my head back as far as I could so that the nostrils were up in the air.  Probably the way to go.......take it slow though, drowning in that crud is not a fun feeling.
IP Logged

Qigong
New Board Newbie

Just another clusterhead, do we go on tour?

« Reply #6 on: Oct 16th, 2002, 12:21am »

Lidocaine in the sinuses is common in the ER, if O2 doesnt work. I have had it done once. One thing I will totally recommend NOT using is red pepper in the nose. I had read a health food book on common herbs and it stated that red pepper breathed in the nose had helped people with cluster. Well you know clusterheads we will try most anything once when the beast hits.  Oh My it was like someone had put gasoline on a fire. I moved up the Kip scale about 4 spots in under 1/2 second...
IP Logged

Medical Qigong, Acupuncturist & Massage therapist.
oringkid

Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 16th, 2002, 11:51am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Funny, tabasco applied just inside the nasal cavity (ie the part I can reach, not up into sinuses etc) has aborted quite a few attacks for me.

Are you talking about powdered pepper?  I wouldn't do that.  

Sherry
IP Logged
sueellen83
New Board Veteran
USA 

Shoot me and get it over with!!!!!

nsueellen83   nsueellen83
Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 16th, 2002, 1:19pm »

I have tried this treatment too.  A few years back my neurologist prescribed it. I didn't have much relief.

It's 2% Lidocaine Viscous.  You use an eye dropper and place several (3-5) drops as far back in the nostil on the affected side.

I hope this helps.  I have heard some people have had really good luck with this treatment.

Good Luck,

Sue Ellen
   P.S. You can also use a nasal spray such as Afrin before placing drops to open up the nasal passage and helpget the med. in.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss