Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 6:54am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « I've been Occipitalized »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   I've been Occipitalized
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: I've been Occipitalized  (Read 787 times)
notseinfeld
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Enough is Enough.        Vote Libertarian

krilldocument  
WWW Email

I've been Occipitalized
« on: Oct 10th, 2002, 10:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Yes indeed, the ONB or Occipital Nerve Block was performed efficiently and early (in office at 7:00AM) this morning and here's how it went.  

Three nurses who knew little about our condition but who were the most pleasant medical folks I've ever encountered. Asked questioned, had empathy, were intrigued, etc etc. Ditto on the doctor. Clean cut, awake (somehow) and explained fully whatever my questions were.  

For the first time in a long time I didn't feel like I was freeform in a doctor's office turnstyle.  It also could not have come at a better time given my anxiety and lack of caffeine.

The Procedure:

Two Injections in the back of my head at the bottom of the cranium. Almost exactly where the skull meets the flesh at the top of the neck. Shots were ipsilateral meaning they were injected in the same hemisphere as the pain. In my case, the right side.

Lasted for less than 3 minutes. Since I was a bit nervous I have forgotten exactly what the substitue for the methylpredisolone was but the good Doc explained that he favored it for it's more rapid dissolution in the nerve. This was actually a cocktail of the methyl-X and lidocaine.  

When queried on the rough amount of pain, he indicated it would be akin to bee sting. Indeed, but remember that bee stings do hurt. First shot wasn't too bad, about a kip 2 lasting for oh, 5 seconds. The second shot similar but since it was closer to my right ear (eek, getting chills just reliving it) I actually *heard* the needle penetrating the leather-like skin of my scalp. Thought I even heard hair follicles stepping aside and it was, well, Icky. Nevertheless, if it has any efficacy I'll do it again in a heartbeat.  

Hope this helps those considering the procedure and I'll gladly read of your experiences no matter the length!

Nots
IP Logged

-----------Democracy is three wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner. ---------------------
Mastifflvr28
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Freddie's eyes

LVT27
WWW Email

Re: I've been Occipitalized
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10th, 2002, 11:34pm »

Nots,  
wishing you luck!
How long do those shots last then?
Mast
IP Logged

Mastifflvr28 (aka Michelle A.)
Be part of the solution
http://www.ouch-us.org
OXYGEN!!!
http://www.maplefallswebdesign.com/misc/oxygen/oxygen.htm
J. Marshall

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 11th, 2002, 10:06am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Let us know how it goes from here. I know your head was probably numb for a day or so. But tell us if it has helped your Clusters....

IP Logged
sueellen83
New Board Veteran
USA 

Shoot me and get it over with!!!!!

nsueellen83   nsueellen83
Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 11th, 2002, 2:03pm »

Not, Good luck, man.  Let us know how well it worked.
 Cheesy

Sue Ellen
IP Logged
LTBullitt

Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 11th, 2002, 6:51pm »

Interesting, but a bit too Cronenberg.
IP Logged
Mark C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Onward through the fog.

Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 11th, 2002, 8:40pm »

Cool.....kinda like Pinhead from HellRaiser. Shocked
How does your head feel, better?
I'm willing to try it, me next!
IP Logged

Click The Flag
Linda T
New Board Old Timer

Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 12th, 2002, 6:34pm »

Hey nots - good luck.  Please let us know how it works.  Hope your PF!

Linda T
IP Logged

What a long, strange trip it's been!
notseinfeld
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Enough is Enough.        Vote Libertarian

krilldocument  
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 15th, 2002, 4:56pm »

Like Edison said, "I've successfully identified yet one more way that won't work".  I might like to add my own words of 'f u c k' to the end of that. Seems I'm running out of options here rather quickly. Depakote had been of no discernable help and the ONB was like a radar blip that just moved the time of attack around. Big whoop.

There are some people working on my (our) behalf  trying to push the implant issue. While this may seem a tad outlandish to the ECH folks, the chronics welcome it with open arms, and necks.  

As an aside, I still cannot sit for more than 1 hour in front of the television without triggering an attack. Is there anyone else reading this small thread with similar ridiculousness?

nots
IP Logged

-----------Democracy is three wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner. ---------------------
J. Marshall

Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 16th, 2002, 5:56am »

Sorry it didn't work for ya. I know the experience. Although I had what is called a Occipital Cryo Block, which basically administers the meds but for an added kick temporarily destroys a certain nerve (Ablate).

I know it's not fun, especially when you find out it didn't help. I'm pulling for ya...

Jim Marshall
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss