Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 6:13am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Depakote: how it works »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Depakote: how it works
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Depakote: how it works  (Read 618 times)
tomshead

Email

Depakote: how it works
« on: Oct 15th, 2002, 11:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I"m posting this 'cause I've searched the archives here and at the OUCH website for hours and can't find anything on how this drug works in layman's terms. So I did a general web search and this was the first one that described the mechanisim. I'll  keep hunting for more and better, but its late now and I wanted to post at least this so something other than pos/neg experiences showed up on a search. Please add other info if you know.

here's the site:
http://www.loftusmd.com/Articles/AED/depakoate.html

here's some quotes:
"Valproic acid is a broad spectrum anti-epileptic drug...
Valproic acid is available in many different forms. It is most commonly used in tablets known as Depakote®. More recently, it has become available in an extended release formulation to allow twice daily administration and this form is known as Depakote-ER®. The cost of this new form to achieve the same absorption is about 20% more expensive. Valproic acid is also available is a liquid form (Depakene®) and an IV form (Depacon®). In the brain, valproic acid inhibits voltage sensitive sodium (Na+) channels. Valproic acid also increases brain GABA levels. GABA is an inhibitory eurotransmitter...
More recently, the intravenous form of the medication, Depacon®, is being used as an acute treatment for migraine. This is particularly useful for those patients who present to the office in whom sumatriptan injection (Imitrex® SQ) either does not work or is contraindicated.
Valproic acid is also a very useful medication for the treatment of cluster headache. Not nearly as common as migraine, cluster headaches are more severe and respond to far fewer therapies than migraine headaches."

« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2002, 11:51pm by tomshead » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss