Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 11:05pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Diet »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Diet
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Diet  (Read 580 times)
gtar_man
New Board Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Diet
« on: Nov 15th, 2002, 6:38am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Good morning, friends, neighbors and clusterheads.
Some feedback, please. My beast is doing a long, slow ride outta town after 18 months of hell. I've been on the "headache diet" for 2 months ( no MSG, garlic, onions, aged cheese, chocolate, yeast bread, lemon, lime, orange, pineapple or grapefruit juice, no processed meat of any kind, ect. Is it doing any good? Damned if I know. Any opinions out there on the efficacy of this diet? I'm getting tired of eating the 2 or 3 things that aren't on the list.
Also, this is to serve notice on all the neurologists in the world - I'M NOT TAKING ANY MORE OF YOUR DAMNED CHEMICALS - THEY DON'T WORK, THEY MAKE YOU CRAZY & FEEL LIKE SHIT, AND THEY COST TOO MUCH. Anybody want the contents of my medicine cabinet, come and get it.
I feel better now.
IP Logged

I'm not a damn newbie! I just changed ISP's!
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

Re: Diet
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15th, 2002, 10:08am »

Hi,
not sure where you got that diet (is it a migraine trigger diet?)...although it does sound like it would help curing a candida overgrowth if you also avoid dairy and sugar.  

There has been some stuff written here about a possible connection between candida and clusters, but if you're not seeing any relief after 2 months (although candida is stubborn and takes a while to get rid of), I'd hazard a guess to say you MIGHT still be a chronic clusterhead.    If you're not on any chemical meds, you might want to look into trying the Water x 3 regime.  It rarely works for folks who are on meds, but it has had some pretty amazing results for med free folks (usually just episodics though, but it's worth a shot!).  Read the precautions though, please and supplement it with a multi-vitamin if you're going to try it.

The only dietary "triggers" (and I hate using that word) that seem  to affect Mike are MSG and alcohol.  But, citrus fruits or garlic?  nope.  Garlic is actually a natural antibiotic.  I remember someone (was it Sailpappy?) who had problems with onions, but that's a pretty rare instigator.

IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
gtar_man
New Board Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 15th, 2002, 2:35pm »

According to the neuro, it's the standard migrane/vascular HA diet. Most of it is well-known, like chocolate,MSG and alcohol but it goes a lot further (no vinegar except white, juices, ect) It's tough to live with. Going out to eat is practically impossible.
If this cycle decides to stop completely, I'll try adding things back in gradually and see if it recurrs. Of course, I'd eat roadkill before I'd risk another cycle...
IP Logged

Ueli

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 15th, 2002, 9:55pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

gtar_man, dump that neuro, he doesn't know the difference between CH and meegraines.  Angry

All that stuff is part of the M. trigger list. It is of limited use for meegraines, in a sense that it helps them to identify their personal triggers, but by no means everyone ist triggered by everything in this list. Also, for M. triggers are thought to be active as long as 24 hours (but this comes handy if ya want to blame spinach or zucchini Smiley)

For clusterheads this M. trigger list is completely useless, there are only two general CH triggers: nitroglycerin and alcohol (for ~90%). For about 10% MSG is a trigger. Other individual triggers are so rare it doesn't make sense to dis-recommend this stuff to others. A cluster trigger provokes an attack within a few minutes. Anything that is not followed by an attack within 2 hours can be considered save.  

As to coffee: That's on the M. trigger list too. But many clusterheads use coffee as a first aid. Coffee also helps to speed up any abortive you're taking.

What preventatives did you get from your CH illiterate neuro? Have you tried Verapamil? It's a rather benign chemical, one that doesn't make you crazy and feel like shit.

PFNADs
Ueli
IP Logged
firebrix
New Board Hall of Famer
New_Zealand 

I must never weaken.

He even(Re: Diet
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16th, 2002, 12:54am »

Hey there gtarman!
Have to agree with Ueli cos Mopar tried all that migraine diet stuff too, (much against his better judgement - he's a cheeseaholic) and it did NOTHING for him! He tried water too - poor guy was always running to the loo, but again no improvement, and he's chronic too.  Sad
I don't know how one is supposed to LIVE without chocolate.........exist, maybe. Hell,life is short!Eat dessert first! ;D
Mopar even tried fruit and vege juices flat out for weeks on end - but altho he became very "healthy", the headaches did not abate one little bit.  
He even Quit smoking.........well, almost, and again all he got was stressed. Right out.
Like you, he's disillusioned with chemicals, except sumatriptan which is a lifeline and allows him to continue to work.
I hope you DO feel better, and that you're still playing the guitar.  
Wishing you PFDAN and lots of happier days
firebrix
IP Logged

"All that it takes for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke
LTBullitt

Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 17th, 2002, 1:31am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I'd eat maggots if I thought it would help.
 As for the contents of the med cabinet send them my way, I'll eat them all up. Smiley
IP Logged
gtar_man
New Board Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 19th, 2002, 3:26pm »

My neurobozo says CH is a "form" of Migraine and that the diet helps "stack the cards in my favor" Roll Eyes.
However, I'm beginning to think youse guys are right and that it has doodlysquat to do with it. I think I'll order me a big 'ol garlic-y cheesy processed meaty onion-y pizza and see what develops.
Ueli, I did try verapamil but it did nothing for the head and kept me awake. I must be especially sensitive to chemicals of any kind. I took Topamax for 3 days and about went bonkers Tongue.
Brix - yep, got a gig again this weekend and am going to Atlanta to play New Year's eve, provided the beast  doesn't come bustin' back thru the door.
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss