Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 29th, 2024, 1:27am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Oxygen Flow Rate »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Oxygen Flow Rate
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Oxygen Flow Rate  (Read 1551 times)
rumplestiltskin

Email

Oxygen Flow Rate
« on: Nov 16th, 2002, 9:13am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

...i'll say it again....might as well...since i know nothing about 98% of the drugs and treatments at this site....i might as well chime in about the few things i do know.

Because new uninformed clusterfolks arrive daily some things just deserve repeating. Because some buds are dense and simple minded some things are worth clarifying.

To propely treat a Clusterheadache with Oxygen one must breath in 100% O2 with EVERY breath ...thus the special mask and bag which allows no outside air in and has lil valves which are supposed to insure this happens.

My present mask and many of my previous ones suck. The intake check valve leaks so that when I exhale some of it wants to go back into the bag. I have to pull it away from my face with each exhale to prevent this.I have a thick scraggly beard so then I must push the mask tightly to my face each inhale to keep air from filtering in around the edges because of my bush...and all that while running in place! A true clusterhead will go to any length to make the pain stop ASAP.

Those nose thingy cannule hoses are devices from satan. I first tried O2 because I read about it here. It came with those irritating lil nostril grabbers. Over and over, after a 1/2 hour of unrelenting pain i would tear them from my face and finally claimed "Oxygen does not work fer me"

Someone here finally convinced me that I had to use a non-rebreather mask. That did not abort my CH till I finally went out and got one. That did not abort my CH till I actually used it. Even at the highest flow rate that did not abort my CH because the orifice of the regulator was clogged and the bag wasn't filling fast enough.  

It was not until I had the rig set up so that no matter how fast and deep I breathed ...the bag never emptied and I never had to wait for it to fill....then it worked!

My first successful O2 abortion of a CH happened in about 3-5 minutes. Until I die I'll never forget that moment.

Note: I never mentioned flowrates....6LPM...8Lpm...12LPM...20LPM? Folks tell other folks that their "flowrate" is too low. That's just crap. Goadsby said 8 LPM. The number is still unimportant. There is nothing magic about the damn #'s. I'll contradict the Gods by saying that his # is wrong for people who can inhale O2 faster than 8 LPM

To make yer car go....It doesn't matter how big yer gas tank is or how much gasoline is in yer tank...as long as there is enough flowing to keep yer car running no matter how fast you drive.

With O2 we are talking flowrates...not octanes. 20LPM is not "better" than 8LPM. It's all 100% O2.

Using a tight fitting non rebreather mask, the proper amount fer you depends solely on how fast and deep you breath so that the bag never empties and you never have to wait for it to fill....there... I said it again.

I realize telling someone 15 to 20 LPM's is a farely safe bet...but it is misleading...of course... it is easier and simpler than saying all the stuff I just said...hmmm
...nevermind.

good grief
den

« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2003, 6:49am by rumplestiltskin » IP Logged
domm
New Board Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Re: Oxygen Flow Rate
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16th, 2002, 9:24am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

well said, Den. Basically same experience for me....
IP Logged
kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Nov 16th, 2002, 1:10pm »

Hey Den, thanks and more thanks.  That is what happened to meeTU!  Only..................i'm dense!  LOL.  Thank you for putting that out!

Good gawd. ;D
Love Kim  

IP Logged
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 16th, 2002, 2:13pm »

OK Den......you talked me into it......have read a lot of the other's talking about it as well.........the neuro said he'd write a script for it, but I had to check on the insurance particulars. Went one step further today, and called a local med supply shop that handles O2.  They quoted me a price of about $60 for the initial setup (normally drink that much in beer in 3 days), and maybe $10 a month for refills.....all they need is the script, so money isn't an issue if they quoted correctly. If insurance helps pay, great! Will tend to that on Monday if I get get the doc to answer the filthy fone. It'd be neat to abort quickly w/o reverting to needlepoint, or wasting meds on a false alarm that can be killed with a few minutes of Paid Air (see: bottled water)

If anybody had told me I'd gladly pay for a bottled water, let alone canned air, 30 years ago...........I would have immediately bought 3 lids of whatever they were smoking*******

PS: In all seriousness, has any research been done on nitrous oxide.......NOT to get wacked out........but abortive, etc?

IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
Not4Hire
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

...WAS PF since Oct.'02, but ...oh my...(CBusters)

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 16th, 2002, 3:33pm »

Yes Mr Happy...I brought up the same subject several months ago and did some research. Consensus here was that nitrous is a *trigger* for CH. I do believe that Dr. Goadsby et al. has used nitroglycerine to trigger CH for clinical studies. Whether this is true for nitrous oxide gas, dunno, but I seem to remember that one of these crazies said that the rush was good (I can testify to that....), but the resulting headache was NOT fun......haven't tried it IN cycle, but OUT of cycle .....wheeeeeeee!

here's some links:  
http://www.resort.com/~banshee/Info/N2O/N2O.html
http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/noxidalr.html
http://wupa.wustl.edu/nai/feature/1998/July98-laughing.html

(edited dead link)
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2002, 7:58pm by Not4Hire » IP Logged

Mantra: This will NOT kill me...This will not KILL me... This will not kill ME...
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss