Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 10th, 2024, 6:04am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Propananol »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Propananol
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Propananol  (Read 679 times)
Grace

Email

Propananol
« on: Nov 17th, 2002, 6:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi Everyone.  First off, I want to say I am brand new.  I am here for my 6 year old son, who has experienced headaches for probably two years now.  He is now on Propananol.  He too suffered terribly.  Such severe pain that it went through a cycle.  Pain at first.  Than it just overcame him.  He had to be put in complete darkness, with no noise.  The pain was so bad he could not lift his head.  I couldn't touch him.  He sweat, cry and beg for help.  Than he'd throw up.  After that, he'd pass out.  Not literally, but he would fall asleep, and sleep for hours.  The next few days, he'd be "sore".  He started on depakote.  Than I took him to a pediatric neurologist who put him on Propananol.  He has been on it since February.  It has been a Godsend.  He has been headache free, so far.  BUT, he is gaining weight.  He is a big boy to begin with, but his weight is climbing on up there.  I am just wondering if any of you have ever used this, and if anyone has experienced weight gain on it.  Also, how long have you been on it??  I am so concerned due to his age.  It is hard to see an adult suffer with severe pain, but imagine watching a little one go through it.  Its horrible.
thank you for listening and I thank you, any of you who can shed some light on this for me.
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

Re: Propananol
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17th, 2002, 8:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi Grace,
yes, it must be horrific to watch your child in pain like that.  My heart goes out to you.

However, the symptoms you're describing are classic migraine.  That's not cluster behaviour at all.  I'm a migrainer and that's exactly what happens to me - my husband is a clusterhead and his attacks are very different.  Light doesn't really bother him, and there is NO way he could lay down during one.  Vomiting is also very rare for clusterheads, but very common for migrainers.  I'd sure get a second opinion and see if you could get him some oxygen as an abortive - it does help for migraines too.  Also, read Charlies remedy - the Circulatory Feedback thing - that's a great med-free alternative that your son could probably teach himself to do.  I'm usually able to work through my migraines with bio-feedback and I learned it at an early age.  The mind is very strong at that age.  Worth looking into, definiately.
But, I would sure hazard a guess that what you're son is going through is not clusters.  You could try typing in that drug name to your browser and see if there are any suggestions on how to keep his weight down while he's on it, but please do explore the more natural alternatives.
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
Tom
New Board Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

«
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18th, 2002, 6:05am »

Well, there is no med called «propananol», i.e., it's neither a generic nor a brand name...

In case you meant «propranolol» - yes, it's usually a very good med for migraines.
IP Logged

Thomas/Munich
Grace

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 19th, 2002, 5:47am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Thank you.  Yes, sorry I spelled it wrong.  I did go to the med on the internet, and it sent me here.  Just wanted to know if anyone knew or had tried the drug.  Thank you anyway.
IP Logged
suzy617
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Love is friendship set on fire

suzy617
Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 19th, 2002, 6:26am »

Yes, I use that but only for around 2 months out of the year. I did gain weight but I think that was due to just not caring about watching what I ate during the time I had my cycle. Also stopped going to the gym at that time. I agree with Margi. What your son has is not CH at all, sounds to be migraines. Speak to his Dr., there might be other alternatives for me. Good luck.
suzy
IP Logged

When God measures men, He puts the tape around the heart, not the head.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss