Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 9:16pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « lisinopril(BP med) »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   lisinopril(BP med)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: lisinopril(BP med)  (Read 988 times)
Squale

Email

lisinopril(BP med)
« on: Nov 23rd, 2002, 9:18am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I think I figured out what is causing my constant headache.I was on prinivil and insurance changed to generic and around the start of lisinopril I have been having all day headaches with nightly clusters which oxygen cant even touch.I read headache is a side effect.Can this be?
IP Logged
ChristineL

Email

Re: lisinopril(BP med)
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23rd, 2002, 7:34pm »

I don't know about the med you are on but Verapamil is a blood pressure med that also ironically works for CH's - or maybe its the other way around. Either way it takes care of both in my case.

Chris L
IP Logged
Ueli

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 23rd, 2002, 9:51pm »

Squale,
Lisinopril (that's the generic or chemical name) is an old stuff and therefore made by different manufacturers, each with his own brand name: Prinivil, Zestril, Prinzide, Prinzide.
I don't think the various brands make a difference, unless you are allergic to one of the fillers or colorants, they may vary from on manufacturer to the next.

You didn't tell if you are using Lisinopril to control high blood pressure or specifically for CH.
Lisinopril is an Angiotensin Converting Enzyme (ACE) Inhibitor, that is, it reduces the enzymatic conversion of angiotensin I to angiotensin II. The later is a potent vasoconstrictor, it increases blood pressure. Therefore, ACE inhibitors reduce blood pressure by reducing the production of the vasoconstricting angiotensin II. To prevent or abort a cluster attack this mechanism is not very useful, quite in the contrary: Sumatriptan (Imitrex) gives a strong signal to constrict the vessels and oxygen rich blood (due to breathing pure O2) provokes an autonomous signal to constrict the arteries in the head.
Other meds often used to control high blood pressure are calcium channel blockers (like Verapamil). They work differently: By making the muscles around the blood vessels less responsive to nerve signals high BP is lowered by relaxing overtight arteries. Making the muscles around the arteries respond sluggishly (and that is not ironic Christine) helps to reduce their rapid expansion at the start of a CH attack, thus damping (or even suppressing) the attack.

Squale, if you take Lisinopril for high BP, ask your doctor it could be replaced by calcium channel blockers (like Verapamil), thus squashing two flies in one hit. If it is intended as CH preventative only, it is time for your doctor to learn that much better results are achieved with Ca channel blockers, and with much less side effects than from ACE inhibitors.

Good luck,
Ueli
IP Logged
Squale

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 28th, 2002, 8:11am »

I am(was) taking lisinopril for high blood pressure.Since I stopped taking it I have NOT had much pain at all.Maybe a tension h/a here or there but my clusters seemed to go away for now.I have not gotten to doc yet to urge him to put me on vermapril.My family thinks Im nuts to stop taking this important medicine but I absolutely know it is this medicine that was triggering all day headaches with cluster headache once a night everynight.Doc has been on vacation but will be in tomorrow and I will be at his office waiting for him.Thanks for info
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss