Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 12:28pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Can anyone offer some advice? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Supporter's Corner
   Supporter's Corner
(Moderators: DJ, Margi)
   Can anyone offer some advice?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Can anyone offer some advice?  (Read 237 times)
pumpkin
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Can anyone offer some advice?
« on: Feb 8th, 2003, 6:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi - this is my first time in any message board so I hope I'm doing this properly.  I'm writing for my mother.  She has been suffering from severe headaches for about 6 years and hasn't been able to get any help from her doctors.  She has been to headache clinics, sleep clinics, had CAT Scan, and MRI.  They never show a damn thing.  She's tried many drugs - no help!  

Her symptoms:  Wakes at 3 a.m. every morning with what she describes as an "ice pick" being driven into her head.  It is in the left centre of her head.  It is the same spot every night.  It deprives her of sleep and she gets very depressed.  She can pinpoint the spot.  She just tried a calcium channel blocker but it made the headache worse (she has also tried anti-depressants and migraine medications).  

Her doctor is usless.  He had never even heard of cluster headaches.  She did suffer briefly from cluster headaches when she was younger.  We were wondering if this sounds like chronic cluster headaches to anyone who suffers from them.  If so, what advice would you give.  These headaches are driving her nuts!!!  Her quality of life is really suffering!

Please, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Ellen
IP Logged

Janet
Jarvis
New Board Old Timer

Email

Re: Can anyone offer some advice?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 8th, 2003, 11:49pm »

Hi pumpkin. I think if she was diagnosed with clusters when younger its fairly likely still the case. Print out the cluster quiz in the button to the left and go over it with her. Some fairly simple questions there. .. The fact that she has been through a lot of the testings rules out a whole lot of other scary possibilities... I am by no means a doctor. The fact that she is waken and the same times is also indicative of cluster headaches. There are a lot of good neurulogists listed on the ouch website who understand and one may be near you.... Generally the pain point is felt around the eye or temple area. Have her read over some of the info here with you. ... You will find in short time a lot of input here from others...  In the meantime theres a lot of info to read here and on the ouch sight. . Hope you find your answers.
IP Logged
firebrix
New Board Hall of Famer
New_Zealand 

I must never weaken.

« Reply #2 on: Feb 9th, 2003, 2:43am »

Greetings and Welcome pumpkin!
I think it's pretty cool that you want to help your mother.
I suggest that she sees a neurologist who has experience of Cluster headache.
Many doctors have never heard of CH. The trick is to find one who HAS!
I'd also suggest that both you and your mother do a bit of research of your own on this site, and that of OUCH, (links to which you'll find on the buttons on the left) and use the excellent search here to look for solutions.
Your mother really needs a diagnosis, so the better educated you both are, the more progress you can make when you see a neuro.
Oxygen therapy is effective for many CHers. You'll find info here and on OUCH for that too. Make sure its a non-rebreather mask (settle for nothing less) and use it as directed. This is a safe treatment. (No smoking round the tanks tho'!) firebrix
IP Logged

"All that it takes for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke
The  mad viking
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Norway 

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life

svennthorn2003@yahoo.no  
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 9th, 2003, 5:08pm »

Great advice firebrix
think enough has been said here until the visit at the neuro.
you can also test a icepack on the spot that hurt.It might get some rellief

Svenn
IP Logged

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss