Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 5:48am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « I feel selfish »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Supporter's Corner
   Supporter's Corner
(Moderators: DJ, Margi)
   I feel selfish
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: I feel selfish  (Read 387 times)
ellyn
New Board Newbie

Email

I feel selfish
« on: Mar 30th, 2003, 9:40am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My husband suffers.  We were married in Nov, and since then, nothing is okay.  First the topomax gave him kidney stones over and over.  That was misery.  But, I didn't know what misery was.  

He recently had colon/rectal surgery and the cluster headaches that had been in hiding are here now with a vengence.  The insurance company doesn't want to pay for the imitrex.  The O2 is empty and until he sees a new doctor in 2 weeks, we don't have a prescription.

We were going to try to have a child.  We are both in our late 30s and realize that we have to do this now.  But, we are never intimate.  That seems to cause a headache.

I hate that I am whining.  I love him, but I really didn't know what I was signing up for. We don't have a normal life and there seems to be no chance of that ever happening.

I was encouraged when I read several posts that mention children, but I don't know how we could handle them when just getting through a night is so difficult.

He is not working, so all of the money pressures fall on me.  And, he drinks.  Sometimes allday and almost every day.  He says that it helps, but that is when I loose my patience and just want everything over.

I guess after all of this rambling, my question is, is it common to use alcohol (18 -24 beers a day) to relieve the pain?

Thanks for listening.
« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2003, 9:41am by ellyn » IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: I feel selfish
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30th, 2003, 10:11am »

No, it is impossible to out-drink a cluster headache.

Please encourage him to get help for his addiction.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
cathy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

Not all those that wander are lost......

cathy_lucas47   cybersis1965
Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 30th, 2003, 5:30pm »

Hi Ellyn and welcome......Im so sorry that things are so bad for you at the moment...I think the first thing you have to do is get your husband to sort out the drinking....if you read through the board you will quickly see that drinking is one of the worst things for a clusterhead sufferer (in most cases).

Get him to post here maybe that would be a start, to realise he and you are not alone.

I wish you well for the future...keep us posted.

Cathy Smiley
IP Logged

My own tears would mean nothing to me, if I could stop you from just shedding one....

Ree
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

2008's my year to shine~SUN IS OUT!!!YAY

64720087 64720087   Reespirit   Ree16Angel
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 6th, 2003, 7:44pm »

ELLYN no one is ever whining that has to deal with cluster headaches~~~ It is never easy to be so helpless, lose sleep and feel so all alone... It almost seems as if they are having an affair with a demon... Cluster headaches rip you away from the very person that you love and look to as a partner... when in cycle there is no partnership you are forever alone...  
Everyone laughs at me because I try to get so involved in Daves cycles but that is what brought me here so it cant be a bad thing... Even if I am loggin his CH attacks and figuring out the specs on his cycle whether right or wrong I feel as if I am supporting him...  
There are a few guys that use alcohol as an abortive method... I have a hard time believing this helps because in my husbands cycles if HE drinks it makes his attacks worse and makes the meds not work... When he gave up beer and liquor during his cycle it shortened the duration... I also know that one of my dear friends that uses alcohol as an abortive method is CHRONIC...  
I feel that maybe HE is CHRONIC because he wont stop drinking... dunno... wish they would try it anyway... and see Dave never believed it until it was the last desperate measure and it stopped his cycle within a few weeks where his previous cycle was 7 months... rambling here but I hope i helped feel free to email me... ree16angel@aol.com... love and luck to you Ree
IP Logged

Proud Mom to US ARMY Kiowa OH58 PILOT~CWO2 SCOTT Hawaii, & USMC Vet~Now POLICE OFFICER SEAN, Citizen of the Month~ Breezy~ Nana 4 Matt/Mike&Aya, MIL To Shino Wife to Dave HI BILL!http://www.myspace.com/dungareespockethttp://www.prohawaiian.com
Mikey
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Rock till ya Drop and DON'T mess with the FAM!!!!!

MGuitarM
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 9th, 2003, 6:33am »

Ellyn, I am chronic and had to stop drinking all together and believe me it was a very hard thing to do because it seemed to be the only thing that would relax me from the beast.  Now I realize that the beast just loved for me to take a drink, but, i was'nt addicted to alcohol so it did'nt give me withdrawals. The doc has me on valium for a number of reasons and that seems to realax me after an attack. You difinitely cannot drink a CH away, believe me i used to try, but it DO'NT work!

Hope you and your husband find relief together.
Me and my wife have a lot of problems due to CH too, but you sure don't need to bring drinking into it.

Wish you the best of luck!

Mikey,  Grin
IP Logged

I love to ROCK very HARD!!!

CHRONIC and going crazy!! Want to come too?

Hope for PFDAN, peace and safety to you all!!
little2late
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Apr 12th, 2003, 6:53pm »

Ellyn: Hi, My husband was by far an alcoholic, but, yes he did drink that many beers a day......Not all the time though, so I guess he did it as someone already had stated "to calm the beast".......I never saw him drunk. His drinking when he did it would start in the morning and now I know why??? I only wish i was given a heads up about these headaches........My husband was such a gentle soul.....He never complained, always was in a good mood and if he wasn't you wouldn't have known it.
Hang in there with him.....I wish I could have another day with mine.....
xoxo :'(
IP Logged
BillyJ.

Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 15th, 2003, 1:45pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

hi Ellyn,
     my name is minnie and my husband billy has clusters.sorry to hear you guys are having such a hard time. Sad Billy is eposodic not chronic what is your husband ? how long does his cycles last if you know ?
    Unfortanately right now you guys have a lot to deal with.hopefully when this cycle ends  things will improve and all your plans will come together.whine ,rant do whatever you need to do to help you get through this.we are here for you.
   keep in touch and let us know how things are going. Smiley
       Minnie
IP Logged
daisymae
New Board Newbie

"True Friends Stab You In The Front" Oscar Wilde

« Reply #7 on: Jul 27th, 2003, 11:34pm »

Hi there, I am an extreme newbie to this site so all I can offer you by way of advice is to do what is right for you. I do not suffer from cluster headaches, but God do I suffer. I cant stand to watch him go through pain like that. On occasion I have to pick up his end of the financial burdons, but not often.  The drinking thing, in most cases seems to me to be an "easy" way out. The funny thing about that is that the "easy" way out never works. Either way, it sounds as though you are more than supportive and you have nothing to feel guilty about. Just because we as CH supporters dont get cluster headaches doesnt mean we dont get cluster heart-aches watching the people we love in pain.  
Hang in there and make sure you do what is right for you. If you dont take care of yourself, you wont be able to help him. Just dont feel selfish or guilty as then you will feel down too. Head up and take care.
IP Logged

"I don't approve of political jokes. I've seen too many of them get elected. "
"Be thou a spirit of health, or goblin damn'd" Hamlet-Shakespeare
"Not so my lord, I am too much i-the sun"
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss