Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 6:45am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Advice »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Supporter's Corner
   Supporter's Corner
(Moderators: DJ, Margi)
   Advice
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Advice  (Read 233 times)
ChevyChic0668

Email

Advice
« on: Jul 8th, 2003, 9:55pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi everybody,
   I guess Ill take a second to say I'm Heather well Im only 17 but I have a stepfather with CH, I go though alot with him and so does my mother, every day is a struggle to deal with his pain, I cant even imagine it but some how when I first saw him have one I can so I try to be helpful only when he is on the onset of a CH he gets very snappy and just picks on every little thing I do and can be the smallest thing in the world. I now try my hardest to help him when I know hes gonna have one by getting his heating pad or telling my mother. Its very difficult and with you guys having this prolly longer then me what did you do to help them or just to avoid the force of it all. He is currently on Oxycodon to help the pain but still feels it with them but sometimes hes just a friendly person but I grew up sense I was 9 with him with his headaches so its like another person when hes on them, hes friendly and its just strange to me but I know its better that way just I just feel so sorry for him at times. Just recently he went to the VA to get the meds and he had one right there the Docter didnt even know what to do for him...and she studied this. I guess what Im asking  is how should I deal with his headaches and such? Thank You.

~Heather~
IP Logged
Ted
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Re: Advice
« Reply #1 on: Jul 8th, 2003, 10:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Man, it always touches me when I see someone come here for the first time asking in a heartfelt manner how they can help their parent/spouse. I think even more when it's the kid because you're supposed to be rebelling against your folks instead of plugging in "cluster headaches" into a search engine for them so you can help.  
 Listen, what you might want to do is ask him what he needs and if he wants you in the room or to be left alone. Don't take too much on your shoulders with this if you can help it. Tell your mother first so she can be in the front lines instead of you.
 Also, tell him to check out this site too. There are better meds than Oxycodon for him. Many of us get relief with pure oxygen (O2) or Imitrex. There are also many medicines he can take to hopefully prevent some of the attacks and make a lot of the ones that get through not as painful.
 Many here get snappy and yell at people around us when an attack comes on/is on so don't take it personally when he does.
« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2003, 10:11pm by Ted » IP Logged
Darleen
New Board Veteran
Canada 

Peek-a-boo

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 9th, 2003, 1:16pm »

Hi Heather,

I'm glad you posted asking for help.  My husband John gets clusters and yes he can be very mean and cranky while he is being hit but we can't even imagine the pain sufferers go through.  John says when he is not in cycle he almost can't imagine and he is the one with the clusters.  The best thing is to ask your stepfather when he is not in pain what you can do for him when a cluster attacks.  When he is in pain it's much more difficult to tell you in a nice calm manner.  

With me, when John wakes up with the clusters, I know to get him a cold compress. his meds, glass of water and then I wait.  When he screams that he needs something else, I get it.

Listen to Ted too, because when they are in pain, don't take anything too personal.

I'm sure he will appreciate any help and support you and your mom can give him.

Good luck and hope they come to an end soon.

D
IP Logged
Ree
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

2008's my year to shine~SUN IS OUT!!!YAY

64720087 64720087   Reespirit   Ree16Angel
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 24th, 2003, 7:31pm »

Hi Honey My husband too has Clusters and has started his cycle this month... I too have noticed how snappy he can be and how every little thing bothers him... I have seen this condition rear its ugly head for 15 years.  Dave has seen it for longer... he has to endure the pain as your step dad does too...  
What Ted said is true you should be commended for trying to deal with this condition and coping is key... You take care of you.  Be patient with your parents and just let them know you are there if they need you... you can email me if you need to at Ree16angel@aol.com take care Ree
IP Logged

Proud Mom to US ARMY Kiowa OH58 PILOT~CWO2 SCOTT Hawaii, & USMC Vet~Now POLICE OFFICER SEAN, Citizen of the Month~ Breezy~ Nana 4 Matt/Mike&Aya, MIL To Shino Wife to Dave HI BILL!http://www.myspace.com/dungareespockethttp://www.prohawaiian.com
goaway
New Board Veteran
USA 

"Things take longer than they do."

« Reply #4 on: Jul 27th, 2003, 4:00pm »

Hi Heather-

I'm Mike, and have I have been a CH for 16 years.  Bravo to you for caring and trying.  I am sure that your stepfather does not intend to respond negatively.  I am hopeful that you understand that his pain pushes him beyond the limits of "good behavior" at times.  Don't take it personally.  I can be the world's grouchiest bear when I am having an episode.  Just ask my wonderful and loving family!

I agree with the others.  Knowing in advance what helps is best.  In the middle of the pain, a CH really does not want to have polite conversation.  Also, try to get him to get more info from this site.  There are many types of medications out there that might suit him better.

I'll tell you this....your stepfather should appreciate what he's got.  Sounds like you are a special young lady.  Remember though, you have your own life to live.  So don't forget to be 17, OK?  Best regards.
IP Logged

"If you get robbed by worry,.....it was an 'inside' job."

"...runnin' with the shadow...runnin' with the shadow..."

"We don't rent pigs."
daisymae
New Board Newbie

"True Friends Stab You In The Front" Oscar Wilde

« Reply #5 on: Jul 27th, 2003, 11:36pm »

What a lucky man to have you for a step-daughter. Hang in there and keep in touch. Wink
IP Logged

"I don't approve of political jokes. I've seen too many of them get elected. "
"Be thou a spirit of health, or goblin damn'd" Hamlet-Shakespeare
"Not so my lord, I am too much i-the sun"
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss