Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 6:01am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « New to Board, but Sufferer for 15 Years »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Supporter's Corner
   Supporter's Corner
(Moderators: DJ, Margi)
   New to Board, but Sufferer for 15 Years
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New to Board, but Sufferer for 15 Years  (Read 261 times)
cmbetts
New Board Newbie

New to Board, but Sufferer for 15 Years
« on: Jul 1st, 2003, 6:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi,

This is my first post, yet not new to CH.  I'd like to start off by saying I'm so glad this site is here.

My name is Cheryl.  I'm a 31 year old female who has been suffering since the age of 16.  I have seen many doctors and neurologists, but it's always the same.  They are not familiar with them, unsure of what to prescribe or want to know if I'd like to try the latest migraine medicine.  

My attacks usually last for 6-9 weeks once a year.  It's around week 3 that I can no longer cope with the pain.  Usually by week 5-6 it starts to get better.  

I have been getting short, frequent headcahes for the past 2 weeks.  I knew it was going to hit soon.  After finding this site, I can actually call them something now.  Shadows.

I had my first, wake up in the middle of the night CH last night at 400 am. (for this cluster)  I immediately went to the doctor today for my prednisone and immitrex shots.  However, I just moved to a new city with my boyfriend and I have yet to find work.  Therefor, I do not have a health plan.  Looks like I might be suffering without the immitrex after all.  

Although I would only rate my CH (last night) between 6-7, I know what the next few weeks are going to be like.  I already feel so doomed.

My boyfriend was around last year when I had my attacks but we did not live together then, so he really has no idea what is to come.   I think he doesn't understand.  ( i read alot of the postings and see I'm not alone.  So many people think it's just a headcahe or even a migraine)  

I guess it just feels good to write to others who know where I'm coming from.  I've already gotten some good tips.  I going to try the water thing.  I'm also going to get some of my immitrex shots and stretch them out.  

Thanks to all who post.  Just reading the messages was very comforting.

IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: New to Board, but Sufferer for 15 Years
« Reply #1 on: Jul 1st, 2003, 9:48pm »

Welcome to the board Cheryl from Calgary.

It sounds like you've already done a lot of reading on this site. Way ta go  Wink

Sorry to hear you're into a cycle and no health plan. That really sucks.

There are a few things that might help.......ice or heat packs, sleep in a sitting-up position or at least with the head elevated, Dramamine to help NOT go into REM sleep mode.

Since this is the Supporters side of the site maybe your b'friend can come here, tell us his story and get plenty of advice of what to do (or not to do) during your attacks.

Go over to the General area and introduce yourself. Lots of good people there.
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2003, 9:50pm by BobG » IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
cmbetts
New Board Newbie

« Reply #2 on: Jul 2nd, 2003, 3:17pm »

Thanks Bob.

I did sleep upright last night according to your advice.  I don't think I've ever heard of  Dramamine.  I will discuss this with my doctor.

Thanks for the tips.  

Cheryl
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 2nd, 2003, 3:29pm »

Hi Cheryl and welcome.  I'm sorry to hear you're in cycle again but glad you found us!
As Bob says, please do have your boyfriend pull up a chair here and have him read the link at the bottom of this post - that's our Family Services Team:  Support for the Supporters.

As to talking to your doc about dramamine, I just wanted to make sure you know it's available without prescription?  It's an over the counter med that is also sold generically as "Travel Tabs".  That, or Benadryl - but not both, ok?

As to trying the water treatment - DEFINATELY tell your doc about that before starting it, especially if you are on prednisone.  It's best done for med free folks because it literally washes everything out of your system.  I'm not sure how pred would react to that but I know folks who take lithium shouldn't do the water treatment - that has to do with salts.  But please - DO tell your doc before you start ok?  To be successful with water, you have to drink HUGE amounts of it and that can be very harmful if you have an underlying kidney or liver disorder, OR if you're eliminating meds that need to remain in your system for a period of time.

Again, welcome.
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
cmbetts
New Board Newbie

« Reply #4 on: Jul 4th, 2003, 9:44pm »

Thanks Margie,

I will take your advice and speak to my doctor first.  My boyfriend has seen the site and he understands a little better now.

IP Logged
cathy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

Not all those that wander are lost......

cathy_lucas47   cybersis1965
Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 5th, 2003, 5:49pm »

Hi Cheryl...

Sorry to read your post...sending you PF vibes from across the pond...welcome aboard.

Cathy  Smiley
IP Logged

My own tears would mean nothing to me, if I could stop you from just shedding one....

Cooked Brain
New Board Old Timer
Netherlands 

a.k.a. Max Payne, YOUCH this hurts...

« Reply #6 on: Jul 5th, 2003, 6:59pm »

welcome to the board CM, too bad you had to find this place, but glad you did Smiley

PFD&N
IP Logged

"We can NOT solve our problems with the same kind of thinking that got us IN to the problem in the first place" Albert Einstein
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss