Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 29th, 2024, 12:11am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Other Diagnosis besides Cluster's »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Supporter's Corner
   Supporter's Corner
(Moderators: Margi, DJ)
   Other Diagnosis besides Cluster's
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Other Diagnosis besides Cluster's  (Read 315 times)
rewards91
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Other Diagnosis besides Cluster's
« on: Mar 15th, 2005, 9:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Greetings,
   I am the wife of a cluster headache sufferer;  approximately 12 years ago, he started with "headaches";  along with the headaches came many changes in personality, thinking, behavior.  This eventually escalated over the years ending with a diagnosis of Bipolar disorder on top of the cluster's.  After much research there is a link between the cluster's and mental illness.  I am curious about other's that have had the same experience.  PLEASE REPLY.  I am curious to know diagnosis and treatment. Cheesy
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

Re: Other Diagnosis besides Cluster's
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16th, 2005, 9:19am »

A link between cluster headaches and mental illness? Hmm...I hadn't heard that. Look around the boards here and that might be confirmed. LOL
I know that many cluster sufferers can suffer from depression, but whether that is as a result of heredity or circumstance isn't really proven. People in pain can get depressed whether there's an underlying propensity toward it or not. I know that depakote and lithium are drugs used for both CH and bi-polar disorder.  
Where did you find that research? Just curious....
Welcome, by the way....
~nani
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Margi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 16th, 2005, 10:20am »

Hi and welcome.

I don't think you'll find a lot of commonality here between cluster and bi-polarism.  I know there are some clusterheads that do suffer from that disorder, granted, but it's certainly not the norm.  Sounds like maybe your research may be a little outdated?

Either way, your husband's doctor has most probably already put him on lithium to control the bi-polar activity - is that correct?  The good news about that is that the lithium should also help with his headaches, although the dose for bi-polar people is usually around 1800mgs a day, when cluster responds to as little as 300mgs.  

Could you tell us a little bit more about your husband?  Some of the things you say in your post really indicate that this might be a case of misdiagnosis (changes in personality, thinking, behaviour).  Has he had an MRI and/or a CT scan to rule out tumour?  I don't mean to scare you, but you - as his supporter - are his best advocate with the medical profession.  Please do read everything you can here at the website, the research here is probably the most current you'll find anywhere.  We are a group of sufferers and supporters who dedicate a lot of our time to this single focus.  It's pretty accurate.  

Please do tell us more?
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
miapet
New Board Hall of Famer

what doesn't kill me makes me stronger

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 16th, 2005, 10:34am »

I have to agree with nani and margi .. .I don't agree that CH and mental health issues, such as bi-polar, are related.  I do believe that depression is related to CH, due to chronic pain.  Any person who suffers from chronic pain, for extended lengths of time will eventually deal with depression.  I would also hazard to say that anxiety could/would also be related, due to dreading the next hit ... .  

*positive light and energy*
miapet
IP Logged

Clusterbusters Rock
www.clusterbusters.com
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 16th, 2005, 3:24pm »

I think CH and depression are linked and not just from CHronic pain, I think the same brain CHemicals/levels are involved.
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss