Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 28th, 2024, 9:13pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « New in Arizona »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Supporter's Corner
   Supporter's Corner
(Moderators: Margi, DJ)
   New in Arizona
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New in Arizona  (Read 301 times)
LeslieG
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

New in Arizona
« on: May 18th, 2005, 2:36pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello to all of you wonderful people.  I found this site last Friday.  I have spent these past days reading, reading & reading all the great info on this site.  I thought it was time to introduce myself.  

My dh Scott starting getting CHs when he was 36, almost 5 years ago.  Like many it took a while to get the proper diagnosis and meds. Also like many the meds would work for a while and then stop working.  He is now taking Topamax – 25mg in the am & 50mg in the pm.  He also has Maxalt as an abortive.  He hasn’t needed that since Feb.  So we are hoping the Topamax is his silver bullet.  We are aware that it could be like the other meds and eventually not be effective.  He quit drinking, which was easy since he didn’t drink much anyway.  Has smoked off/on for years and now has finally quit.  He quit eating sandwich meats, foods with msg, chocolate and rarely has caffeine.  He’s retired Navy so giving up the coffee wasn’t easy.  

He got a new job in Feb. but had to quit after a week because the CHs were so bad.  He upped his Topamax and was taking the Maxalt but still couldn’t work.  The job involved driving all over repairing cash registers, printers etc at various store and restaurants.  He worked 50 hours that week and it nearly killed him.  We think maybe all the driving around, eating on the go, using a laptop while his coworker did the driving and just the constant go of the job caused the CHs to be unbearable.   It was really hard for him to admit he had to quit because he really needs to work because like everyone else we have bills.  Fortunately he’s been working at a new job for 2+ months now and is doing well.  He builds pc so is indoors and takes regular breaks.  He still gets what he calls “little nuisance headaches”.  Same place as his CHs but he says they are different and go away with either one Advil migraine or w/o meds.  Being overtired is definitely one of his triggers.  

One of the most frustrating things is not knowing when an attack will happen again and having something that we know will work.  All the unknowns are so difficult for me to deal with.  I’m a person who likes to makes lists and plans things out.  Also watching him during an attack and being able to do very little for him is so hard.  I’m just thankful for the info here so if/when he gets them again I will be able to be a lot more proactive.  
Thanks again for this site!
Leslie
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

Re: New in Arizona
« Reply #1 on: May 18th, 2005, 3:46pm »

Hi Leslie,
Glad to hear that the Topomax is helping Scott.  Let the poor boy have a coffee, though, it's quite often a good abortive for cluster.  The dietary restrictions you speak of are more for migraine (although my hubby does avoid MSG when in cycle).  The only thing that will trigger a cluster attack, even out of cycle, is nitro glycerine.  However, clusterheads can be sensitive to some things while they are in cycle, it seems to be there are different things for different folks though.  But, coffee is a really GOOD thing for a clusterhead, just not in huge quanties though.

One of the best things you CAN do for him is learn everything possible about clusters.  This website is probably the best place to start.  Read all the buttons on the left, here, and dig around in the archives when you get a chance.

hang in there!
Margi
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
LeslieG
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #2 on: May 20th, 2005, 1:07pm »

Thanks for the welcome Margi!  He still occasionally has coffee or a mountain dew just not as much as he used too.  He made the dietary changes when told he might have migraines.  First he was told they were stress/tension headaches, then maybe caused by the eye drops he was taking (Timoptic), then maybe migraines then finally referred to a headache clinic where he was diagnosed with ch.  This took about 2 years.  He doesn’t really have a good idea of when his cycles are.  He could be in cycle now and the Topamax is working or he might not be.  He hasn’t kept track so I’m now trying to do it for him.    

Doing a lot of reading here and on the O.U.C.H. site.  Also looked at the archives for Topamax info.  Certainly a difference of opinion on that med.  

Hanging in and taking it one day at a time.  
Leslie
IP Logged
miapet
New Board Hall of Famer

what doesn't kill me makes me stronger

Email

« Reply #3 on: May 20th, 2005, 7:15pm »

Welcome Leslie . . .sorry you had to find this place . ..but what a great place to find if ch is in your life . . .lots of info at the click of a button!

Glad you're going to track Scott's h/as . . a h/a diary rocks, as it lets you be aware of not only cycles, but how what ever you're doing is helping or not.  When I started keeping D's h/a diary I put down date/time/intensity/length . . .and it really let us see things!

Anyway, take care of yourself, you sound like a great supporter . .. don't burn out *g* and, ENJOY every p/f moment you get!!

*positive light and energy*
miapet
IP Logged

Clusterbusters Rock
www.clusterbusters.com
LeslieG
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #4 on: May 23rd, 2005, 4:17pm »

Hi Miapet,
Yes, I'm glad I found this site but sad that I had to.  Scott still gets little headaches but they seems to come when he is tired and usually go away on their own.  

I read your year long thread - How wonderful for you and your husband.  It's good to know that there are other alternatives out there if the meds stop working.  I've got clusterbusters bookmarked just in case.

Leslie
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss