Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 29th, 2024, 1:25am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Hi... New Member!!! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Supporter's Corner
   Supporter's Corner
(Moderators: Margi, DJ)
   Hi... New Member!!!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hi... New Member!!!  (Read 372 times)
Conrad
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

conradkusaf
Email

Hi... New Member!!!
« on: May 8th, 2005, 12:53am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello friends.  Conrad here.  In the middle of a cycle, about the 4th week.  Normally shut down for me at 6 weeks in the past.  ANyone else compare?  Anyone know of any indicators of when their cycles are coming to a stop?  If so let me know!  I'm ready!  I'm tapering off of prednisone right now and taking 240mg of verapamil a day.  Also use Oxygen, works well... and Zomig ZMT if O2 does not kick it.  Just ready to get rid of these, screws with my sleep at night so bad.  Everyone take care and you are in my prayers.    Roll Eyes
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: Hi... New Member!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 8th, 2005, 5:21am »

Hello Conrad. Look for answers to your message over on the General Posts section.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #2 on: May 8th, 2005, 12:50pm »

Welcome to the fold Conrad but I'm sorry you have to with this horror. I replied on the general board too but here is the technique that worked for me:

Dr. Wright’s Circulatory Technique  

What follows is a technique learned from a neurologist:  
I am not sure what mechanism is triggered by this but whatever it is, at least indirectly helps kill the pain. I do know that this technique has nothing to do with meditation, relaxation, or psychic ability. It is entirely physical and takes some work. It involves concentrating on trying to redirect a little circulation to the arms, hands, or legs. It can described as a conscious circulatory flexing. Increased circulation will result in a reddening and warming of the hands. Try to think of it as filling your hands with redirected blood. The important and difficult part is that it has to be done without interruption through the pain. Do not give up in frustration. It may not work on the first try. Every now and then it will work almost immediately. I lived for those moments. Try experimenting between attacks. You will find that it gets easier with practice.

I was given less than five minutes instruction in the use of method. The doctor, while placing his arm on his desk, showed me that he could slightly increase his arm and hand circulation. After several attempts, I was able to repeat this procedure and use it successfully. I have had about a 75% success rate shortening these attacks. My 20 minute attacks were often reduced to 10 minutes or less. Once proven that I had a chance to effectively deal with this horror, I always gave it a try as I had nothing to lose but pain.

Perhaps it will help if you think of it as trying to fill the arm as if it is were an empty vessel. I used to try to imagine I was pushing blood away from my head into my arm. Use your imagination. There is one man who wrote that his standing barefoot on a concrete floor shortened his attacks. This may be similar as it draws some circulation away from the head. Cold water, exercise, or anything affecting circulation, seems to be worth a try. My suggestion is to not let up immediately when the pain goes. Waiting a minute is probably a good idea. So long as you do not slack off, this has a chance of working.

This technique is very useful while waiting for medication to take effect or when none is available. It costs nothing, is non-invasive, and can be used just about anywhere. It is not a miracle but it helped me deal with this horror. It can be a bit exhausting but the success rate was good enough for me and a cluster headache sufferer will do just about anything to end the pain. It gives us a fighting chance.  

I hope this technique is helpful and I wish you the best of luck

Charlie  
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
TheMasterBaker
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 2nd, 2005, 2:06pm »

Clusteropolis!
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss