Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 3:06pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Just need to share these fears »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Supporter's Corner
   Supporter's Corner
(Moderators: Margi, DJ)
   Just need to share these fears
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Just need to share these fears  (Read 2086 times)
scarlet52698
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Just need to share these fears
« on: Feb 17th, 2008, 10:42am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I hope this is ok but I just need to vent these fears somewhere as we are new to the cluster headache thing.

DH has been a migraine sufferer his whole life and dealing with that has been scary but he only gets them a couple times a year and he is practiced at working through them.

MY DH is a strong man and I've only seen him reduced to tears twice in our 7 year marriage.  Once during a migraine that ended up in an ER visit a couple of years ago and this morning when I truly feared that he might hurt himself because of the pain.

The cluster headaches are an entirely different animal and according to my DH make migraines look like a walk in the park.  His whole head was on fire this morning and he said it felt like someone poured liquid metal inside.

I can't fathom dealing with that kind of pain.  They have been occuring since right after christmas and he has lost major sleep because of them.  He is terrified to try to sleep because he wakes up with these monsters.  Right now he is getting 2-3 attacks a day that last anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour.

We are both in a recovery program from addiction with long term good sobriety.  This morning he said that he is in so much pain that relasping seemed like a good idea if it would help the pain.  That statement is the most frightening thing I've heard him say because we both take our recovery from addiction very seriously.  He is keeping in close contact with his recovery support people and I'm researching everything I can to find help for him.

We have a wonderful life with three great kids, our own business, and a nice home.  My DH has worked so hard for the life we have, the thought of losing it is to much!

I'm rambling right now, thanks for listening.  I love my DH so much and would do anything to help him.  I hate that anyone has to go through this kind of pain.........it just freakin' sucks!

Cry Cry Cry
IP Logged
Jackie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Go For It!!!

Email

Re: Just need to share these fears
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17th, 2008, 10:58am »

Hi Scarlet..
I'm married to a clusterhead too.
Yes, it can be tough watching what they endure and feeling so helpless.

The pain is HORRID.  It also leads to depression and even harmful thoughts sometimes.

I'm sure your DH understands that relapse is the very worst thing he could do....for the CH, himself personally and the entire family.

Now...let's see what we can do to help him with the CH.

Tell us what he's doing to abort...what his meds. are...and what he's got going on as far as home remedies.

Have you read and studied everything here and on the OUCH board?  Knowledge is power, Sweetie.  He's in a bad spot right now so it's probably up to you to advocate for him....hold him up.

Also...if he's not on the boards, he needs to be...talking to other suffers is GOOD medicine.

You all can manage this...we'll all help you.

Good luck and a big hug too.

Jackie
IP Logged
Angie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 17th, 2008, 11:09am »

Hi Scarlet

I am also married to a Clusterhead.

You have come to the right place, like Jackie said it is tough to watch. You will be his best supporter, hang in there with him, go to the doctor together, learn everything you can.

We are all here for you and understand what you both are going through. This site saved our lives it will save yours and your husbands as well.

Bigs hugs hug
IP Logged
scarlet52698
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Feb 17th, 2008, 11:10am »

Thanks so much Jackie.  Yes he does realize that isn't a real option, I think he was just trying to convey the desperation he feels right now.  

I literally just found this site this morning.  We went to the ER two weeks ago, not because of the level of pain but because his pupils were different sizes.  The eye on the side that the headaches occur was tiny while the other was normal.  Our paramedic friend said get to the ER ASAP because that could mean a serious problem.  By the time we got back to see the doctor the headache was lessening but she said from his description that she thought it was Cluster Headaches.  She gave him Indocein (sp?) and clozapine.  He didn't take the indocein because of a bad experience with it when he was younger.  He did take the clozapine which didn't seem to help.

While the pain has been bad over these last six weeks it was off the charts this morning.  He basically just paced around holding his head crying.  It lasted about 30 minutes and then started to abate.

I've located a headache clinic in our town (thanks to this site) and plan to call them tomorrow morning.

Thanks for letting me share my thoughts here.  It's a huge help to know we aren't alone in this.

We are interested in the O2 therapy and plan to ask the doctor about that.  He would prefer to treat this without meds if possible.
IP Logged
scarlet52698
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Feb 17th, 2008, 11:12am »

Thanks so much Angie!   Smiley
IP Logged
Jackie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Go For It!!!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 17th, 2008, 11:43am »

Hi Again....

The 02 is VERY important.  I see your hubby has had other medical problems so 02 therapy should be the best abortive for him.  Of course your doctor will make that decision...I'm really hoping for the 02 though... Smiley

Stick with us, Sweetie.....drag hubby to the site too....when he feels up to it.

Ask questions, vent, cuss, etc......

We're here to help all we can.  Just remember...there is and can be a good life even with clusters.  It takes some work to get there but it can be accomplished.

Hugs to you both...
Jackie
IP Logged
scarlet52698
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Feb 17th, 2008, 11:47am »

That means a lot Jackie.  I'm hoping he'll hop on here in the next couple of days.  He's not an internet guy, just learned how to email people this year.......lol

You guys are awesome and thanks for being here!

Heather
IP Logged
barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Mountain Biking Keeps Me Sane

WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 17th, 2008, 12:03pm »

Hi Heather. I too am fairly new to the computer world but have learned a lot. I am a two finger typer and never look up from the keyboard while typing. Drives Angie crazy to watch me! Grin Grin ;;

We will be here when your husband is ready to join us, the sooner the better!! Wink

Nice to meet you.

Barry Smiley
IP Logged

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005,

http://barrysword.blogspot.com

Jackie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Go For It!!!

Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 17th, 2008, 12:20pm »

Heather....
I hear what you are saying about hubby and computers.  I still can't get Blake on here.....but I've read him a zillion posts.  It really did save us...this site is wonderful.  Tell ya what...try reading to him or having him read certain posts....when he's up to it.  This board and the people here will give him & you hope, courage & strength.....I promise.

Keep reminding him and yourself too that....cluster headaches are terrible but they are NOT fatal!

Now...you must take care of yourself too, Sweetie.....a worn out supporter isn't much good.... Wink

Hugs...
Jackie
IP Logged
Grandma_Sweet_Boy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

What Goes Around Comes Around!

« Reply #9 on: Feb 17th, 2008, 12:37pm »

Heather - I can't imagine having to walk in the shoes of a supporter.  You guys are tough as nails and I don't know how you get through some days.

From the sufferer's point of view - we know it hurts, but we all pretty much understand it won't kill us - it will end - and we'll live to fight yet another day.

Hang in there Heather - two of our very best supporters are already here helping you.  Jackie has done this for a very long time and is a wonderful lady, and Angie is an awesome supporter to Barry as well as to several of us in this wild and wacky CH community.

Sending you hugs.
Carol
IP Logged
scarlet52698
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #10 on: Feb 17th, 2008, 2:25pm »

Thanks Carol, Barry Cheesy

I will Jackie thanksCheesy
IP Logged
George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

« Reply #11 on: Feb 17th, 2008, 5:10pm »

on Feb 17th, 2008, 10:42am, scarlet52698 wrote:
IThis morning he said that he is in so much pain that relasping seemed like a good idea if it would help the pain.  

Tell him it won't help, Heather.  He'll still have the pain--CH eats pain-killing substances for lunch.  

Analgesics, opiates, and sythetic painkillers are usually of little use in treating CH.  The effective treatments that exist work to prevent or to terminate an attack.  That's where his efforts should be--finding out what works for him to stop an attack.

I've had CH for a long time, but I haven't forgotten what it's like to be new to it.  

Your husband is welcome to PM me anytime he likes, if there's anything I can do to help.

All the best,

George  
IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
Mosaicwench
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Find joy in your day

WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Feb 17th, 2008, 9:48pm »

Welcome Heather!

I'm sorry for the reason you found us but am glad you are here.  I, like so many others before me, am married to a sufferer.

I can't say anything better than they have already so I'll just let you know that we are here beside you all the way.  

We live with this beast, as you do, and know how it is.  Feel free to rant and rave and cry and smile with us.  We really are family.  

We've all been there out on the porch crying because we can't take the pain away.  We've all taken the children somewhere when we really didn't want to so hubby could battle alone.  We know a lot about coping with this monster and we're happy to help - just ask anytime!

God bless you as you stand by your man.
IP Logged

The difficulties of life are intended to make us better, not bitter. ~Author Unknown
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #13 on: Feb 17th, 2008, 9:52pm »

Heather you're a saint. I'm a CH sufferer, my wife found this board for me and saved my sanity. I have no advice for you. just a heart felt thanks. You supporters are what keeps us sane when we're in so much pain we wanna do domething stupid. Thank you.

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss