Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 17
Send Topic Print
WELCOME! (Read 79558 times)
bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Re: WELCOME!
Reply #300 - Apr 6th, 2010 at 9:16pm

Hey there Randall,

Sux that ya got another cycle ramping up, but at least you're getting some nice 7 year stretches between episodes now. I can relate to that because my episodes have gradually gotten further apart as the years have rolled by.

Please check out these 3 very important updates about CH treatment (if you haven't seen them yet, I'll bet at least one of them could significantly improve you're beast killing powers):

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (this covers the NEW IMPROVED method for administering o2)

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

packersunuk
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Aldershot, UK
HELP
Reply #301 - Apr 11th, 2010 at 11:32am

Hello to all on the site.
First of my name is Paul from the uk, and have been suffering with ch for about 8 years now and always had this sence that i was all alone going through this 3 or 4 times a day ritual of going thru hell and although no way glad others go thru what i go thru am slightly comforted by knowledge that there are people who can relate to my problem.
  After about a year of remission there again back with a vengence with the last fortnight sleep disturbed twice a night with this beast and one in the early evening.
Im totally at a real low ebb right now especially reading stories of 20-40 year sufferers.
Im not to sure what i expect to happen thru posting this but i guess i just needed to tell someone who will understand, thanks for reading

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #302 - Apr 11th, 2010 at 11:53am

Hi Paul and welcome to our family.  We certainly all understand what you go through.

Can you tell us what treatments you have used for the last 8 yrs?   Pure oxygen is a must.  (link to the left)

Linda
« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2010 at 11:54am by Linda_Howell »  

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #303 - Apr 11th, 2010 at 12:18pm

Hey Paul,

Keep reading, and I think you may be encouraged - a good number of us long time sufferers have found ways  to quash most (and for some of us luckier ones, pretty much all) of our CH attacks.

It sounds like you may be suffering un-relieved attacks and of course that is the ultimate nightmare. Starting a new topic in the Getting to Know ya forum, and posting more of your CH treatment details would be a good next step.

I predict that armed with a lot of research here, along with asking any questions, you will join the ranks of the successful beast fighters.  Cool

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

packersunuk
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Aldershot, UK
Reply #304 - Apr 13th, 2010 at 10:49am

Thanks for your support it really is comforting as for the treatment i have received for the first 7 years i was mearly being given pill after pill which were co-codamol 500mg and diclofenac sodium enteric coated tablets 50mg.
These pills although if taken at the first signs of an attack will work maybe 1 in every 5 trys but when i awake in the night will rarely have any effect if any at all,
  Last december when i felt the shadows beginning i visited the doctors who recommended acupuncture as he believed it may have been pressure on my neck that was causing the pain i followed this thru and had some brief rest bite up until 3 weeks ago when the nightmare started again.
I'm currently awaiting for an appointment with my GP who in the past has never suggested the oxygen or somatripan methods, ill defo be inquiring about these,
sorry for going ON bit but i thought id give all the info i could

IP Logged

mister200k
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #305 - Apr 13th, 2010 at 9:40pm

Hi everyone!
I had been suffering from cluster headaches, (not knowing that the headaches were actually called cluster headaches,) for 10 years before I finally got a diagnosis and a miracle treatment.

This could be one of the worst pain that any individual could ever suffer and I truly sympathize with all cluster sufferers as I would not wish this pain on even the worst of my enemies.

I truly hope that each and every one of you finds relief from your brain pain and I am here to answer any questions hat any of you may have.

mister.

IP Logged

miket2110
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Poole, UK
Reply #306 - Apr 20th, 2010 at 11:14pm

Hi, I'm Mike and I live on the south coast in the UK, my Beasts are episodic and I am only on my second cycle with just over a year since the last one so I guess I am lucky there. My CHs didn't get diagnosed till this batch so I managed the first lot myself with mega doses of 30/500 codydramol; which did little to help. My doctor has now put me on prednisolone(2nd day today) so not sure if it will help. I didn't know this kind of site existed but my god I'm glad it does!!!!!!!

IP Logged

nicknack
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #307 - Jun 13th, 2010 at 11:04pm

Hi to everyone! I am actually an oldy, but a newbie once again. I wasnt on the site for many years because, well its a long story. I  have had cluster headaches since 2004. Been on many many medications. I have had other diagnosis that go  along with the clusters. Right now i am here to look for any new ch medications or tricks since they are back in full force. There were many years I had them under control with lithium and lamictal and long acting opiods. I am looking for new information before I go to my new neuro next week. I live outside the atlanta, ga area. anyone feel free to pm me on any good docs.The one im going to i dont know much about.I have seen many other neuros who were supposed to be at the top of their
game, they helped some but in the end he wanted us to go our seperate ways.Any positive feedback is always welcomed!

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #308 - Jun 13th, 2010 at 11:26pm

Oxygen is taking the board by storm! Read the oxygen info link on the left, as HOW we used it has changed quite a bit. As a result, the effectiveness has gone thru the roof.

Then there are energy drinks, Rock Star, Monster, any containing caffeine and taurine. Chug one at the first sign of an attack. Many can reduce or even abort an attack that way.

If lithium starts to fail you....(Hate the sound of that STILL my prevent after a hundred years or so.. Wink)...Verapamil is a very popular prevent as is topomax.

For abortives, imitrex injectables and nasal sprays seem to help many.

Sorry the beast still finds ya....he's a real butthead that way Undecided

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

nicknack
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #309 - Jun 15th, 2010 at 10:40pm

Thanks Joe. I started a prednisone pack yesterday and this morning I woke up feeling 90% better. The constant shadows and stabbing pain has already started to diminish. I have used o2 in the past. It may be time to get another tank. I will be reading through the site for any new tips.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #310 - Jun 23rd, 2010 at 10:49am

How has the pred worked for you? Did they start any other prevent with the pred? The pred either breaks the cycle altogether, or it just keeps the beast at bay while you're on it. I'll use it occasionally on a long cycle when I'm getting my butt kicked and just need a few days to rest and regroup.

Joe

IP Logged

nicknack
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #311 - Jun 25th, 2010 at 4:31pm

The pred pack helped through the week then they came back a few days after it ended. I went to a new neuro mainly for having a seizure with no known cause and was going to see if he would work with my pain management dr for some preventative meds. I told him that in the past I had seen this neuro that specializes in headache treatment. His name is Dr. leslie kelman. After a year with him and little help Dr Kelman told me to go to a psych doc. So when i told the new neuro that I use to see him he said "if Dr. Kelman couldn't help you neither can I" . Sucks, but I did find a neuropsychiatrist who also treats chronic pain. He started me back on Lithium, Lamictal, Cymbalta, Sumavel (is that right its the new imitrex with naproxen injections) and the duragesic patch.
Joe- aren't you on Lithium? and how much works for you. I have been up to 900mgs in the past.

IP Logged

Jimi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't feed the moderators

Madisonville, KY
Reply #312 - Jun 25th, 2010 at 4:44pm

Welcome Nicknack.....I see you are from the Atlanta area. We have a convention every year where a bunch of clusterheads meet called the OUCH Convention. This year it just so happens that it is in Atlanta in July.  Here is the link....check it out.

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/ Hendrix1473  
IP Logged

nicknack
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #313 - Jun 25th, 2010 at 8:22pm

Thanks! I will look into that.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #314 - Jun 28th, 2010 at 9:52am

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you I was out of town.

I'm 50, weigh about 190 pounds. I take 1200 mg a day of lithium while on cycle. It has been a Godsend for me. Unmedicated I get hit 2-3 times a day while on cycle. On lithium, I go a couple of days at a time between hits. Oxygen with a can of Red Bull beats down most of the break thru's, with an occasional imitrex shot when it  gets outta hand.

That being said there are periods of "high Cycle" where for days at a time I'll get a couple slams a day and not much works. Those are fortunately rare.

Lithium takes about 10-14 days to become effective for me. At that dose no one can tell I'm on it. You pee a lot the first week or 2, so pay attention when they tell you to increase fluid intake.

Any chance they'll give you oxygen to try?

Hope it works out as well for you.

Joe

IP Logged

Hullie
CH.com Newbie

South Shields England UK
Reply #315 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 2:00pm

Hi clusterhead sufferers and carers,  I am a 46yr old UK sufferer and have had this since the mid 90's but only diagnosed last year (didnt know of 'cluster headaches') My very first attack , after enduring a lumbar puncture, was mis-diagnosed as a viral infection mimicking meningitus so later attacks i'd just try as hard as it was just to 'put-up' with the pain and take painkillers with little if no effect and wait for them to disappear. Another cycle is on its way and i'm starting to feel the 'phantom-menace' as its that time of year that i start to suffer. I now take injections which eleviates the pain but i wish there were a cure.. Not looking forward to the next 6-7 weeks of pure torture. I cant believe that there are some of us that suffer this chronically how do you cope?!!!

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #316 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 2:50pm

Hullie wrote on Aug 19th, 2010 at 2:00pm:
Hi clusterhead sufferers and carers,  I am a 46yr old UK sufferer and have had this since the mid 90's but only diagnosed last year (didnt know of 'cluster headaches') My very first attack , after enduring a lumbar puncture, was mis-diagnosed as a viral infection mimicking meningitus so later attacks i'd just try as hard as it was just to 'put-up' with the pain and take painkillers with little if no effect and wait for them to disappear. Another cycle is on its way and i'm starting to feel the 'phantom-menace' as its that time of year that i start to suffer. I now take injections which eleviates the pain but i wish there were a cure.. Not looking forward to the next 6-7 weeks of pure torture. I cant believe that there are some of us that suffer this chronically how do you cope?!!!

Oxygen will be a big part of aborting the problem.  Read the oxygen info.

Potter

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #317 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 2:58pm

Welcome to the board, yeah, oxygen will become your new best friend. It has all but eliminated my dependence on the imtrex shots.

Also, look into preventative medications, a med you take daily while in cycle, to reduce the number and intensity of your attacks. I use lithium, verapamil and topomax are also popular prevents.

Glad you found us, you have much reading to do to get yourself educated on how to beat the beast. We haven't found a cure yet, but with  a little effort, it's manageable. Wink

Joe

IP Logged

Hullie
CH.com Newbie

South Shields England UK
Reply #318 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 6:08pm

Thanks for the welcome, Oxygen i'll look into that and i'll mention it to my doctor when i see him soon for more Imigran injections. You guys across the pond seem to be light years ahead of us here in the UK in combating this debilitating condition even though its estimated over 60,000 people suffer with it here in the UK.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #319 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 6:38pm

You guys have a Doctor Matharu, in London, who is one of the trailblazers in treating CH. He spoke at our conference in Atlanta this year, a great man!

Check out   OUCH UK     Will help you a little with specifics for getting 02 etc. on your side of the pond!

Joe

IP Logged

GayleneD
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #320 - Sep 2nd, 2010 at 9:56am

Hi Everyone:) My fiance suffers from Cluster Headaches - he has done so for the last 8 years! and was only diagnosed properly last week with the 2nd neurosurgeon that he has seen. He used to get them once a year around April / May and for a few weeks - all of sudden he has them now again in August and has had them every day for the last 2 weeks which we know know means he is chronic!

We have been so frustrated and the 'Beast' is starting to take it's toll on our relationship, finances and outlook on life - we are getting married next month and this is supposed to be a happy time for us - but it's a nightmare! Poor Ash is suffering so badly and I am so frustrated that nothing seems to help him - I feel so helpless and he feels like a burden - it's terrible!

He has been on Medrol (we are in South Africa) which is the cortisone based med - it helps but he can't take it indefinitely, he has also tried Sibelium - calcium channel blocker which hasn't helped AT ALL! The only thing that does help are the Imigran injections which he has learnt to divide one injection into two to save money - problem is is that he's now getting at least 2 or three headaches a day and his poor arm is bruised and sore from injecting plus it's not good for him. The doc is now going to give him a higher dose of Medrol 16mg which he says should help wit this chronic period.

He also went to a chiro today who put those deep tissue masaage machines on him and we are going back on Mon & Fri next week for more treatments and to test over a 2 week period if it helps at all. Ash being a fireman does put alot of strain on his spine and back and the chiro will help to alleviate some pain for him we hope!!!

In any case it is wonderful to know  (and he is relieved) to know that he is not the only one and that others understand his crippling pain. Thank you all for your advice and good luck to you all - my heart bleeds for you  :-[

Will keep you posted! Gaylene & Ash - KZN - South Africa

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #321 - Sep 2nd, 2010 at 2:21pm

Welcome to the board! 2 suggestions. First, and most important, read the oxygen info tab on the left. Used correctly most can quickly abort CH with no other meds. Has almost eliminated imitrex injections for me. Do read the link as if you don't use it correctly it's worthless!

The second is to look into some of the prevent meds we've been seeing success with on the board. This is a med you take daily to reduce the number and intensity of your hits. I use Lithgium at 1200 mg a day, blocks 60-70% of my hits. Verapamil is a very common prevent as is topomax.

Thanks for doing the leg work for your partner, we're damned fond of our supporters around here!

Joe

IP Logged

+Danny Boy+
CH.com Newbie

I love morels

Minnesota
Reply #322 - Sep 5th, 2010 at 2:51am

ok

The great thing about cluster headaches is..... uh....uhh...

IP Logged

kramcool
CH.com Newbie

If i live through the
next one,I'll be back!

cincinnati,ohio
Reply #323 - Sep 17th, 2010 at 2:26pm

Ok well it has finally come to this,hanging out on a website with other poor bastards who feel like me!(just kidding)So here"s my story and questions...
I am a 47 year old male who has been suffering from these mind killers off and on since i was 23.In my twenty's they lasted about 3 years(about 2 times a week) then around age 37 they returned(almost everyday) for about 9 months.Now they have returned about 2 months ago,they are far more painful(starts in right eye then temple,jaw,head and then into the base of my neck) and last longer and happen more then ever some times 2 a day and lasting from 1/2 an hour to 5 hours.I am currently on Midrin which doesn't help,when they happen i will take one every hour and 5 to 7 extra strength Tylenol,although no relief i guess it is better then just wishing for death and freaking the hell out of my 11 year old son.In the past i have tried oxygen(a little relief),cafergot(no relief),water therapy(no relief),stadol(some relief).*Question #1* What helps you?
When these were happening in my 30's i was also going through some bad back problems because of a bad car wreck(since then,5 spacers and a 7 inch cage)has for the most part solved the back problems).I was on 6 10mg percocets(breakthrough pain) and 2 40mg oxycontin,i would never take any extra meds when the headaches happened,mainly because i needed them for day to day relief from the back pain.*Question #2*Has anybody gotten relief from narcotics? I ask this because with a little complaining i could easily get them again because of the past back problems.There was one time(after suffering 3 hours into a ch)after probably 10 tylenol and 4 sniffs of stadol i figured i had nothing to lose.I had 3 percocets and 1 oxycotin left till the next day when i could get them refilled.Knowing i would be alright the next day with 1 percocet left,i chewed up the rest,i remember getting a little relief and falling to sleep for an hour when i awoke the pain lasted for another 2 hours!Last but not least,i don't drink alcohol(any more)little to no caffeine,i do wear glasses to read and eat the normal type of food most people eat*Question #3*anybody here ever try the diet that is modeled to your blood type(i here it could help with ch)?
Here is the weird thing,i do smoke cigarettes and i have noticed a increased desire to smoke when under attack,i can't because i am to busy holding on for dear life till the mind killer has stopped.Anybody else who smokes ever experience this feeling?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!
-Mark

IP Logged

mikstudie
CH.com Old Timer

Beastmaster

Westland Mi.
Reply #324 - Sep 17th, 2010 at 3:11pm

Mark,as far as painkillersnot much help BUT \, I am a night hitter 10:30 Pm give or take 15mins,at 9:30 I would take one Vicodin and one Butal and that would help. After I found this family I have not taken a single painkiller.Melatonin has saved my ass.10mg before bed.As for the smoking,I smoke 2 packs a WEEK (light smoker) unless during an attack then I smoke one after another,heres my gig when I get an attack. Wake up 10:30 grab a Red Bull 3 smokes put on my shoes and go for a walk 45mins later back to bed sleeping like a baby till morning.I think I have it much better than most here my longest HA was 2 hours and only happened a few times in ten years.My dr told me that smoking constrics your blood vessels and for CH thats a good thing.But he does not condon smoking outside my attacks.

IT'S JUST A HEADACHE,TAKE TWO ASPRIN AND GO TO BED!!!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 17
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!