Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Letter to Employers & Colleagues (Read 31864 times)
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus

Are we ourselves?

Commack,New_York
Letter to Employers & Colleagues
Apr 25th, 2005 at 6:18pm

As well all know it is very difficult to explain what it is we go through....
Many look at us as if there is no way in hell something can be that debilitating.

Here is a letter that you can give your employers, colleagues, professors, fellow students that will explain in very simple language what it is that we go through.
How CH is a misnomer!!

It is known to us as "Simon's Letter" Wink
Simon is a UK CH'er who had the wherewithal to develop this perfect letter.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Wishing you all Pain Free Days!!!!!!and Nights Wink

Eric
« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2014 at 10:01pm by Racer1_NC » 
Reason: To correct link 

I can't believe that I have to bang my Head against this wall again. But the blows they have just a little more Space in-between them. Gonna take a breath and try again.
Edoubleitk Edoubleitk1  
IP Logged

Redneck
Ex Member

Re: Letter to Employers & Colleagues
Reply #1 - Apr 25th, 2005 at 10:38pm

And a good letter it is, when this cycle started last Thanksgiving I gave it to everyone in the office and emailed it to all my counterparts around the state. They may not really understand but at least some of them have a better understanding of what is goning on now.

IP Logged

LadyLuv
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Champaign, IL
Reply #2 - Apr 28th, 2005 at 12:22pm

This is a great letter... and it will come in handy

Peace & Blessings
Lady Luv

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Ruthie Harper Ruthie Harper  
IP Logged

wifesupporter
CH.com Newbie

Stronger day by day

x1|espanola|Canada|canada|332|374|ON,Ontario
Reply #3 - Apr 29th, 2005 at 6:57pm

awesome link and letter  thanks.  My wife is the sufferer and I am thankfull that she is not working at this time so she can try to cope the best way she can however I have a lot of explaning to do at work as to why I am so tired all the time and this will help I am gratefull I work with a bunch of wonderful people who can understand all I have been teaching them about this thing. 

Thanks again for bringing this to everyones attention

Steve

IP Logged

E-Double
CH.com Alumnus

Are we ourselves?

Commack,New_York
Reply #4 - May 2nd, 2005 at 9:15pm

Quote:
The suicide part of the letter isn't that cool to give to your employer. It would be alot better if that was edited out. My employer had issues with that part.

Matt

considering that Dr's throughout the world have called CH "suicide HA" for yrs.....that gets the point across that headache is a misnomer.....

I guess edit it as you deem fit but at the same time your employer should not take issue with any disease that one has.

Stay positive

I can't believe that I have to bang my Head against this wall again. But the blows they have just a little more Space in-between them. Gonna take a breath and try again.
Edoubleitk Edoubleitk1  
IP Logged

mynm156
CH.com Hall of Famer

hope life isn't a big
joke, because I don't
get it

x0|mesa|USA||0|0|AZ,Arizona
Reply #5 - May 4th, 2005 at 7:23pm

Cool Thanks!

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."&&

IP Logged

ArCane
CH.com Old Timer

Onward through the fog

x1|Sturgeon|USA|usa|322|164|MO,Missouri
Reply #6 - May 11th, 2005 at 12:22pm

Quote:
only speaking from experiance. Anyone that has the safety of others in their hands ( where if you screw up they die kind of safety) may want to consider editing that part out. That is unless you feel unsafe. If you don't feel safe working, i wouldn't risk others safety.

After reading the letter, issue was taken with the fact that if I were to commit suicide at work and others were also hurt, the employer would be held responsible for the others death. After giveing the letter to the employer he has foreknowledge that this is a possibility, and would therefore be held  liable, perhaps criminally. Its still a very good letter, it explains alot. It some cases it might cause undue concern.

Why would you hurt or kill others when commiting suicide?  Going "postal" has nothing to do with suicide.  If you go "postal" you have bigger problems than CH.  The subject on suicide in this letter is just letting everyone know just how painful these things really are.  Who here hasn't thought about suicide, atleast for a second, during day in-day out kip 9-10 headaches?  I know, I have.  It isnt a realistic option for me (have to many loved ones) but I have thought about it during an attack.

Alchemy’s First Law of Equivalent Exchange: To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.

IP Logged

E-Double
CH.com Alumnus

Are we ourselves?

Commack,New_York
Reply #7 - May 11th, 2005 at 12:24pm

This post isn't supposed to be a debate. It's there for a resource to all that could use the link.

PF wishes!

Edoubleitk Edoubleitk1  
IP Logged

ArCane
CH.com Old Timer

Onward through the fog

x1|Sturgeon|USA|usa|322|164|MO,Missouri
Reply #8 - May 11th, 2005 at 12:26pm

E-Double wrote on May 11th, 2005 at 12:24pm:
This post isn't supposed to be a debate. It's there for a resource to all that could use the link.

PF wishes!

Sorry bro.  Ill shut up now  ;Grin.

Alchemy’s First Law of Equivalent Exchange: To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.

IP Logged

Candycane
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jun 1st, 2005 at 8:41pm

Thanks for the great info!  Smiley

IP Logged

Jonny
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jun 2nd, 2005 at 5:24pm

Thanks DJ....You Da Man, Dude!!

IP Logged

E-Double
CH.com Alumnus

Are we ourselves?

Commack,New_York
Reply #11 - Jun 2nd, 2005 at 5:28pm

;Grin Thanks DJ ;Grin

Edoubleitk Edoubleitk1  
IP Logged

iain_bridge
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jun 3rd, 2005 at 6:13am

What a great letter, not only for employees but anyone you deem close enough to understand this hell that we are all going through.

Thanks it will come in very useful

take care everyone
Iain

IP Logged

RClarke54
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Albuquerque|USA||0|0|NM,New_Mexico
Reply #13 - Jun 4th, 2005 at 5:10pm

Hello all,

I have been a episodic cluster sufferer for about 10+ yrs now. I recenlty could not have fallen into a cycle in a worse positon. I am talking no car and no job, pretty bad. I recenlty though took this job offer before telling my manager about my ch's. After getting two excruciating attacks at work my boss became curious, and it wasn't until then that I had to tell him about the condition. He then proceeded to tell me that I could not work there anymore because the store could not work around my ch's. What would be anyone elses opinion or advice on how or when I should go for another job at this point?, and if I should tell my next boss about my condition.Email is RClarke54@hotmail.com, just let me know when you can as I am all ears at this point. Thanks.

IP Logged

Jonny
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jun 10th, 2005 at 7:14pm

RClarke54 wrote on Jun 4th, 2005 at 5:10pm:
Hello all,

I have been a episodic cluster sufferer for about 10+ yrs now. I recenlty could not have fallen into a cycle in a worse positon. I am talking no car and no job, pretty bad. I recenlty though took this job offer before telling my manager about my ch's. After getting two excruciating attacks at work my boss became curious, and it wasn't until then that I had to tell him about the condition. He then proceeded to tell me that I could not work there anymore because the store could not work around my ch's. What would be anyone elses opinion or advice on how or when I should go for another job at this point?, and if I should tell my next boss about my condition.Email is RClarke54@hotmail.com, just let me know when you can as I am all ears at this point. Thanks.

Sue!!...you cant be fired because of a disability

IP Logged

KMT
CH.com Hall of Famer

Fun loving @ heart

x0|Manhattan|USA||0|0|KS,Kansas
Reply #15 - Jun 18th, 2005 at 10:06pm

Quote:
What would be anyone elses opinion or advice on how or when I should go for another job at this point?, and if I should tell my next boss about my condition.Email is RClarke54@hotmail.com, just let me know when you can as I am all ears at this point. Thanks.
They can't fire you for this.....

If you tell them in the interview they will come up with some reason why they couldn't hire you.

aka...................................................... KimY
IP Logged

sean0
CH.com Newbie

Oooohh the pain!

x1|Marlborough|USA|usa|518|84|MA,Massachusetts
Reply #16 - Jun 28th, 2005 at 8:45pm

Excellent letter. This is the first time I have seen the syndrome explained so clearly and succinct.

It will come in handy.

IP Logged

Kirk
CH.com Alumnus

VINIMUS, VIDIMUS, DOLAVIMUS

Harts Lake, WA
Reply #17 - Jul 7th, 2005 at 8:40pm

Is that letter in a different format someplace? Like a PDF?

Thanks

kirkevrrt 161860987 kirk_jones511 2607+395th+St+CT+S  
IP Logged

drivin_blind
CH.com Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x1|Carson City|USA|usa|390|102|MI,Michigan
Reply #18 - Jul 19th, 2005 at 2:29pm

What an excellent letter. I am very fortunate to have a G.P. that is a close friend. He spent hours and hours learning everything he could about CH. back in the 80's. He's been a godsend. I've tried to explain to co-workers who are very sympathetic. This hits it on the head.  Thank you!!  Dick

The true measure of a hero is when a man lays down his life with the knowledge that those he saves....will never know.

IP Logged

scarmig
CH.com Newbie

x0|Dallas|||||TX,Texas
Reply #19 - Jul 29th, 2005 at 3:28pm

For those who don't have Word, I've htmled a copy onto my website. 

Feel free to use it, copy it, or link to it, though i make no guarantees on how long it will stay put.  Smiley

IP Logged

Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus

Each day will be a new
trick in life's journey

Australia
Reply #20 - Jul 31st, 2005 at 3:18am

Great letter!

Jazz Wink&&&&Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility

IP Logged

marlinsfan
CH.com Hall of Famer

I love this place!

New Providence, NJ
Reply #21 - Aug 18th, 2005 at 8:55am

So, in my company we have several employee Networks. One is the DAN, which is the network for disabled employees.

Yesterday I went through the anti-harrassment training, and in  the ADA (americans with disabilities act) there is mention of severe migraines but not CH.

I approached the folks at DAN and they have asked me to write an article on CH, and I was thinking of using a shortened version of this letter.

I work for a large company, there are 4000 employees in my building alone.

Does anyone have any issues with this?

I will include the last sentence:

"Original draft of this letter written by Simon Bower for Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register"

IP Logged

Simon
CH.com Veteran

Hunstanton, Norfolk, UK
Reply #22 - Aug 30th, 2005 at 2:11pm

All I've ever asked was that my name is on it! Just a little bit of conceit on my part. Smiley Anyone welcome to use it, and put it on websites. Good to hear that it is still having some use.

Might be worth noting that it has been translated into American.... Smiley

Baa

IP Logged

E-Double
CH.com Alumnus

Are we ourselves?

Commack,New_York
Reply #23 - Aug 30th, 2005 at 2:49pm

Thank you always Simon! Smiley

Edoubleitk Edoubleitk1  
IP Logged

bradboy
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Hollywood|USA|usa|0|0|FL,Florida
Reply #24 - Aug 31st, 2005 at 3:27pm

Thanks Eric. You have been such a big help to me. I just sent this to my boss and a colleague and hopefully it will help them understand as I've been forced to work from home nearly 2 weeks now.

I also called the New England Center for HeadAches as you suggested. Unfortunately they only accept 2 types of insurance and mine (blue cross blue shield) isn't one of them. I need to call my insurance company to see if they will reimburse me the $590 consulation fee and $150 visit thereafter.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!