Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Depakote (Read 6396 times)
Paige_H.
CH.com Junior

What the hell?

x0|Princeton|USA||0|0|WV,West_Virginia
Depakote
May 16th, 2008 at 10:14am

Help.  Verap stopped working, inderal isn't working, nothing works.  Everything sucks.  Now I have a script for Depakote.  I've had CH for 30 yrs, so I know the trial and error bull crap.  But who has taken it and what side effects could I possibly be looking at?  And does the junk work?  Yes, I'm very bitter over this CH crap.

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Re: Depakote
Reply #1 - May 16th, 2008 at 10:55am

Paige_H. wrote on May 16th, 2008 at 10:14am:
And does the junk work?

It works for some. It didn't work for me.

Quote:
Yes, I'm very bitter over this CH crap.

You don't say.

IP Logged

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

St. Maarten/Neth. Antilles
Reply #2 - May 16th, 2008 at 11:59am

Can't help with the Depakote but can suggest you take a look here.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
I haven't had much use for pharmaceuticals since trying the R.C. seeds

IP Logged

Paige_H.
CH.com Junior

What the hell?

Reply #3 - May 16th, 2008 at 12:31pm

The buster stuff would be great, but I need something now.  I'm about to lose my job because of this ignorant crap.  This cycle has pretty much pushed me over the edge.  I guess it is back on prednisone and to try the Depakote.

IP Logged

Trooper
CH.com Veteran

I ain't skeert!

x0|mckinney|USA||0|0|TX,Texas
Reply #4 - May 17th, 2008 at 12:22am

Depakote worked very well for me for two years. I am episodic and most of my ha's hit while I am asleep. This may not matter but then maybe it does. The only side effect I found was that it made it a little harder to get up in the morning. I started at 500mgs. at night for 5 days and then went to 500 at night and 500 in the am.  The first night I took it, I slept ha free for 6 hrs. I know that may seem crazy but at the time I was in one of the worst cycles I had ever had. I was getting hit every night at 3 am and from the first night I took the Depakote it stopped.

I hope you find it works as well for you.

IP Logged

Paige_H.
CH.com Junior

What the hell?

Reply #5 - May 17th, 2008 at 7:17am

Thank you so much Trooper.   I took it last night and slept all night.

IP Logged

Trooper
CH.com Veteran

I ain't skeert!

x0|mckinney|USA||0|0|TX,Texas
Reply #6 - May 21st, 2008 at 7:34pm

Paige that is awesome to hear! I hope it is still working well for you!

IP Logged

chefjohn
CH.com Junior

x1|new haven|USA|usa|510|98|CT,Connecticut
Reply #7 - May 21st, 2008 at 10:28pm

I found this article which was good.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

johnfheine  
IP Logged

Paige_H.
CH.com Junior

What the hell?

Reply #8 - May 23rd, 2008 at 8:25am

Thanks guys.  The Depakote seems to be the trick, this go around anyway.   No problems with it so far either, except I'm kind of groggy in the morning.  But I was far more groggy when I was up 3-5 times per night!!! Shocked

IP Logged

cash5542
CH.com Hall of Famer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x1|Ocean Pines|USA|usa|498|141|MD,Maryland
Reply #9 - May 23rd, 2008 at 11:02am

Depekote has been the final straw med used with my daughter. It works but the side effects are hard. She gets very lethargic although she had been on 2000. She seems to be able to tolerate 500 at night and still function. The funny thing with the 2000 is HA were gone but she was such a zombie she couldn't work or drive to work so what's the benefit. Some other side effects to watch for are weight gain and hair loss. Both occur with prednisone too and she was using both together. IV depekote was very effective. Usualy she got it that way inthe hospital then was sent home with a script for the pills.

Charlotte

cash5542  
IP Logged

Whipsmart
CH.com Junior

Hipster Doofus

Mason, MI USA
Reply #10 - May 26th, 2008 at 3:40pm

It did the trick for me.  I'm maxed out on verapamil.  I had the big ones under control, but I was getting bad shadows and lower level hits.  I take 250mg in the morning and at dinner (about 12 hours apart).  That does the trick nicely for me.

IP Logged

johnp
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #11 - May 27th, 2008 at 1:58am

ive takeing it, and they also gave me a sleeping pill with it , they were yellow, pills the sleeping ones , i didn't lose my hair, thats one of the side affects ,and it worked for a short time , i shopped it because i had a cold one day and was coffeing and lost my site in both eyes for 10 secs or so when i was driveing , i felt like there was something swelled up in my head behind my right eye, but everyone is differant, i only had it with that one drug , ive takeing all the drugs for my clusters

IP Logged

lennycohen
CH.com Junior

Clemmons, NC
Reply #12 - May 27th, 2008 at 6:53am

Depakote did it for me too, especially the IV, 4 rounds of that, glad you're feeling better - I'm tapering down from 500mgs 3/day after 10 weeks PF

IP Logged

Paige_H.
CH.com Junior

What the hell?

Reply #13 - May 27th, 2008 at 2:29pm

I'm only doing 250 mg and that has worked.  But it was also almost time for the cycle to be over.  I'm only on the Depakote for another couple of weeks.  I don't take stuff constantly, considering I only hit a cycle every 15-18 months.  I refuse, because I hate medicine.

IP Logged

Jeff2
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Tipton|USA||0|0|MI,Michigan
Reply #14 - May 27th, 2008 at 4:02pm

I take the generic version, valproic acid. Midway through my last cycle my doc put me on 250 mg twice a day. We went up to 250 three times a day as the hits got worse. Seemed to spread out the time between hits. I've also taken it when I'm out of cycle and start shadow dancing. Seems to help me then, too.

Couple of things I noticed when taking it were weight gain and lethargy. The weight gain I can handle, but the lethargy got old real quick. I know this is used to treat bipolar disorder among other things. If I remember correctly, it's for controlling the manic phase. One person's remedy is another's side-effect I guess.

IP Logged

Paige_H.
CH.com Junior

What the hell?

Reply #15 - May 27th, 2008 at 4:09pm

The only thing I have noticed is that I'm a bit grouchier than usual.  I actually lose my temper much easier since I've been taking it.  It could be from just being tired though.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!