Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Weird--Hand Tremor--Now Fine (Read 5240 times)
Layla328
CH.com Hall of Famer

Boston
Weird--Hand Tremor--Now Fine
May 22nd, 2008 at 9:51am

This doesn't have to do with CH but does anyone know what this is--I guess it would fall under neurological something or other.  This doesn't happen to me very often but it happened again yesterday--for about 7 hours yesterday when I would use my right hand or bend my elbow so that my hand was pointing up it would start shaking really fast.  I was in a store yesterday and went to run my debit card and my hand was shaking so bad that the card almost flew out of my hand (I knew my hand was doing that and it has done it a couple other times in the past year but yesterday it was worse).  Today it is totally fine.  And my other hand never does that.  It is kind of weird.  Am I a neurological mess?  Anyone know what that is?

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Re: Weird--Hand Tremor--Now Fine
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2008 at 10:14am

I wouldn't panic but I would schedule a visit with my Neuro to get it checked out.

Could be a lot of things but it would be best to let a professional give you his/her opinion.

Good luck...

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 22nd, 2008 at 10:15am

Might be lithium toxicity.

Are you taking lithium?

IP Logged

Layla328
CH.com Hall of Famer

Boston
Reply #3 - May 22nd, 2008 at 10:40am

No, not on anything right now but melatonin. 
I was weirded out cause it was kind of embarrassing.  Maybe some kind of stress thing, dunno.

IP Logged

BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus

In remembrance of KingCazman.
RIP

Portland, OR
Reply #4 - May 22nd, 2008 at 11:20am

Not taking anything, huh?  Thats weird.  Verapimil can cause the shakes or tremors.
Shaking can also be a symptom of hyperactive thyroid, plus probably a multitude of other things.

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you.  Fool - can't get fooled again"&&&&&&Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.&&&&

IP Logged

Layla328
CH.com Hall of Famer

Boston
Reply #5 - May 22nd, 2008 at 11:28am

BMonee,

Thanks--yeah, I thought about that with the thyroid.  The more I think about it I think it was stress or anxiety cause I have been really stressed out this past week.
Not taking any meds right now cause not in cycle--I take melatonin every night even while out of cycle cause when I stop taking it I start getting shadows after a few days off it so I just stay on it.   Star

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #6 - May 22nd, 2008 at 12:52pm

I'd still talk to a Dr about it.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #7 - May 22nd, 2008 at 1:24pm

DennisM1045 wrote on May 22nd, 2008 at 12:52pm:
I'd still talk to a Dr about it.

ESPECIALLY if you're not taking any meds right now.

IP Logged

Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus

Karratha|,West_Australia
Reply #8 - May 22nd, 2008 at 10:23pm

What the others have said, worth getting the Doc’s opinion.
I could be Restless limb syndrome usually referred to as restless leg; I get it occasionally in both arm & leg on my cluster side (left) along with Exploding head syndrome.
C.H., R.L.S. & E.H.S. are all symptoms of a wonky Hypothalamus.
Is the shaky arm the same side as your CH.?
Cheers
Barry

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Of all the things i've lost in life the thing i miss most is my mind.
WWW http://mushys.com/kiwi  
IP Logged

Annette
Ex Member

Reply #9 - May 22nd, 2008 at 11:45pm

If the shake only happen to one hand and not the other, then its likely to be some forms of focal seizure such as temporal lobe epilepsy. You should see your neuro and ask for an EEG.

Other condition such as thyroid, chemical toxicity, medication side effects etc should produce shakes on both hands, not just one as they affect the whole brain/body globally.

Stress and anxiety can cause isolated shakes on the dominant hand only, especially on purposeful activities, but it should not last 7 hours unless the stress is really profound.

You really should have this checked.

IP Logged

Layla328
CH.com Hall of Famer

Boston
Reply #10 - May 23rd, 2008 at 3:17pm

You guys,

Thank you for helping me with this.  I agree it is weird and should probably get checked out, so thanks for telling me to take my stubborn Irish self to the doctor.
Barry, the hand tremor is always on the right side (dominant hand)--my CH is on left.  So, you get that stuff on the same side as CH?  I have always wanted to know--what is exploding head syndrome?  It does not sound pleasant. 

Annette, thank you for the information.  With what you are saying about epilepsy, my only question, could it last that long and only be when moving the hand or holding it upright? 
Thank you you guys for the information.  People on here are smart and seem to know about stuff so I figured I'd ask.

IP Logged

Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus

Karratha|,West_Australia
Reply #11 - May 23rd, 2008 at 10:29pm

Hi Star
Below are a couple of links to the EHS; When I went chronic with CH back in 2004 is the first time I experienced RLS & EHS I researched the condition’s while I was waiting to see my Nuro & couldn’t find any reference to the after shock pain I was experiencing so when I eventually got to the Nuro I quizzed him about why I should be getting the pain when most if not all articles on the subject referred to it as only a loud noise without pain, he told me that the condition is very rare & that only in the most severe cases a person would experience pain or bruising as I was, he went to great pains to assure me that this was not going to kill me & that it would settle in time along with the RLS & he was right it lasted for about 6 months and reduced in intensity over that time & now I only get one on the very odd occasion & not as severe as before.
My simple explanation of EHS is that its like being wakened by a round house punch from Mohammad Ali & when the really big ones hit I would experience a constant dull pain like bruising to the inside of my head for a few days after on the cluster side much like a severe shadow, some of the big whack’s would physically jolt me sideways scaring the hell out of my wife when I landed on top of her, her usual response was GET BACK ON YOUR OWN SIDE.
Such is life  Cheesy

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Cheers
Barry

Of all the things i've lost in life the thing i miss most is my mind.
WWW http://mushys.com/kiwi  
IP Logged

Annette
Ex Member

Reply #12 - May 24th, 2008 at 12:12am

Layla328 wrote on May 23rd, 2008 at 3:17pm:
Annette, thank you for the information.  With what you are saying about epilepsy, my only question, could it last that long and only be when moving the hand or holding it upright?  

Star, I am not a neurologist so when you ask me the nitty gritty of how long a particular type of epileptic fit can last , its going beyond my limit of expertise.

There are many different types of epileptic seizures, each with different symptoms. People who have epilepsy may have more than one type of seizure. With a simple partial seizure, the abnormal electrical discharges occur in just a small area of the brain, called the focal area. Symptoms depend upon what part of the brain is affected. For example, if the electrical discharge occurs in the part of the brain that controls left arm muscle movement, the left arm may shake and jerk. The patient does not usually lose consciousness, and can describe the seizure when it is over.

Partial or focal seizures can be triggered and maintained by stress and/or anxiety.

Then on the other hand, there is pseudoseizure which is often precipitated by stress where the electrical wave of the brain is normal.

Only a neurologist can fully answer your question. I can only tell you that what you experienced was unlikely to be due to something global like toxicity or medical side effects or thyroid problems.

You should go see your neurologist.

Good luck and best wishes.

IP Logged

Layla328
CH.com Hall of Famer

Boston
Reply #13 - May 26th, 2008 at 10:25pm

Hi, I posted earlier but I think it got lost when they changed the website.  
Anyway, just wanted to thank you Barry for the links--I was able to learn something about EHS and it is always amazing to me what the brain can do.  It sounds like you have a severe form of it and I am glad that you have it less frequently b.c that has to be very startling and disturbing and not to mention painful.  But I am glad I know what it is now cause I've heard you mention it and did not know exactly what it was for sure.
Annette, thank you for the information and for helping me to rule things out.  I will definitely get it checked and I appreciate you sharing what you know (cause it is a lot more than I do!).  
Well, hope everyone had a good weekend!  Star
« Last Edit: May 26th, 2008 at 10:29pm by Layla328 »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!