Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
IT REALLY WORKS (Read 15763 times)
George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Re: IT REALLY WORKS
Reply #25 - May 29th, 2008 at 9:19am

Well, if the stuff works, why chuck money at an overpriced commercial product?  It's just diluted pepper juice and water. 

Get some sterile saline solution and capsaicin if you're squeamish, or distilled water and hot-pepper juice if you're not, and make your own. 

You can even experiment around with the concentration--make a luke-warm salsa for the little tiddling headaches, and a thermonuclear mash of death-by-chili-peppers for the bad ones.

Or is there something "special" about this particular product? 

George    

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH messes with my isness

Charlotte, NC
Reply #26 - May 29th, 2008 at 9:22am

clusterhell wrote on May 26th, 2008 at 4:01pm:
Am I the only one that this stuff is working for?

Angry

If it's working for you great, but, as you've seen, we get repeated efforts
by the purveyors of this crap to tout this as a cluster remedy and I'm sorry, the feedback is very consistent, it just isn't.

The Sinus Buster guys are ultimate sleazes and have tried to position themselves as being on the lookout for snake oil salesmen. Like the wolf watching the flock. Sleazes.

Scott

Scott

IP Logged

clusterhell
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #27 - May 29th, 2008 at 10:00am

seasonalboomer wrote on May 29th, 2008 at 9:22am:
clusterhell wrote on May 26th, 2008 at 4:01pm:
Am I the only one that this stuff is working for?

Angry

If it's working for you great, but, as you've seen, we get repeated efforts
by the purveyors of this crap to tout this as a cluster remedy and I'm sorry, the feedback is very consistent, it just isn't.

The Sinus Buster guys are ultimate sleazes and have tried to position themselves as being on the lookout for snake oil salesmen. Like the wolf watching the flock. Sleazes.

Scott

I agree that the Sinus Buster people are A-holes for promoting their product the way they do.  However, I saw the creator on a talk show and either his story was genuine or a genius con.  Either way this stuff is truly working for me.  My headaches are typically an 8 on the Kip scale. I've done some home work on Capsicum and it doesn't just trick the brain it actually has been shown to reduce swelling.  Even after the pepper wears off my nasal passages open up and I breath easier and the headaches fade. So why just me????? I apologize to all of you for even talking about this.  I am not trying to promote this stuff.
« Last Edit: May 29th, 2008 at 10:04am by clusterhell »  

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #28 - May 29th, 2008 at 10:43am

Well you certainly don't sound like a salesman to me. And as I mentioned in my earlier post, there are a lot of ongoing studies with oleocapsiun as a pain killer. Not just as something that "hurts more then your CH" but as a chemical that interacts with your "pain chemicals" in your brain. I've read a couple of the studies but that's as technical an explanation as I'm able to give. I really believe there will eventually be a form of this stuff that will be an option for CH relief.

As Lelimey said, try not to let anything said here get personal. We toss lots of ideas around, shooting many down, building amny others up. It's how we all learn. Stay open minded, (even if it occasionally appears others her aren't!) Most here will do anything they can to help another CH'er get relief. Wishing you some pain free time soon.

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

habanero
CH.com Newbie

Is it like migraine?

x0|Vantaa|Finland||0|0|
Reply #29 - May 29th, 2008 at 2:52pm

if i understood right you're taking kinda pepperspray nasally for hortons.
i wouldn't do it, but i think there is a wisdom here.
i've been eating hot peppers for years (habaneros and scotch bonnets are my favorites) and i like them quite hot. tormenting sometimes.

anyway, 2 years ago i had a major CH period (had it since -94).
i decided to get active about it.
i took pictures of myself during sessions and tried al kinds of alternative
medication.
i also ate fiery food almost daily, especially when shadowing and right after attacks.
can't say that it helped the actual pain much, but maybe it made me a little fighter.
with hot food you like to push the limits.
so i started teasing the pain with chilis, smoking and moving.
tryin to do things while in extreme pain.
even eating hard bread.
must sound quite masochistic and maybe it is, but
it helped me trough the period mentally coz the pain was really bad.
plus chili takes away the discusting taste of my imigran spray.

imigran works for me 50/50 and is way too expensive around here.

m

IP Logged

KaiB
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Enid|USA||0|0|OK,Oklahoma
Reply #30 - May 29th, 2008 at 3:02pm

Damn M, I thought I played with pain, but you put me to shame.

I run naked without drugs and play with the pain of my hits...but to add Scotch Bonnets for fun, you da man!!!

IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH messes with my isness

Charlotte, NC
Reply #31 - May 29th, 2008 at 4:58pm

clusterhell wrote on May 29th, 2008 at 10:00am:
However, I saw the creator on a talk show and either his story was genuine or a genius con.   

I'll choose (b.), minus the "genius".

As I said, if it is working for you, great. I'm going with the feedback I've heard from a lot of other posters here that have also tried it that it offered them little REAL help.

Scott

Scott

IP Logged

habanero
CH.com Newbie

Is it like migraine?

x0|Vantaa|Finland||0|0|
Reply #32 - May 31st, 2008 at 7:27pm

conman or not.
personally i wouldn't inhale capsaicin.
it must burn like hell.
if it comes down your throat afterwards like triptan sprays..
can't even think.

maybe snorting slushy laboratorysand with a special slushsnortex headache roll would "cool" the pain down? who knows?

i have prettymuch come to a conclusion.
i have this condition. can't help it at the moment.
i try ignoring it as much as possible.
every pain free minute is potential good time.

IP Logged

clusterhell
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #33 - May 31st, 2008 at 8:37pm

habanero wrote on May 31st, 2008 at 7:27pm:
conman or not.
personally i wouldn't inhale capsaicin.
it must burn like hell.
if it comes down your throat afterwards like triptan sprays..
can't even think.

maybe snorting slushy laboratorysand with a special slushsnortex headache roll would "cool" the pain down? who knows?

i have prettymuch come to a conclusion.
i have this condition. can't help it at the moment.
i try ignoring it as much as possible.
every pain free minute is potential good time.

You try Ignoring it as much as possible.  What the f!*#.  I couldn't ignore it if Scarlett Johansen was naked and on top of me.  Snorting burning hot pepper is pleasure compared to my headaches bro.  Please don't say stuff like that to me.

IP Logged

habanero
CH.com Newbie

Is it like migraine?

x0|Vantaa|Finland||0|0|
Reply #34 - Jun 1st, 2008 at 3:34pm

ignoring it between attacks man.
can't and don't do it all the time, but it's still good to keep up your daily schedule if possible.
sickleave don't help much for me.
tried it.

my point is to keep active during painperiods and
live your life it's possible.
it is possible in my situation.

i just don't recommend pepperspray.
chili is used for making your life better, not worse.
that was the original subject i think.

m

IP Logged

DeStijl
CH.com Veteran

Lubbock, TX
Reply #35 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 9:01pm

edwardbear wrote on May 29th, 2008 at 7:52am:
So inducing pain to myself I'll get relief from my CH? As I said in one of my first posts, I was in so much pain from my beast, that I got myself to breaking a finger, which didn't do much, but to silence the headache for 6 seconds.

Also, someone said something about a kneecap surgery. They do not stand a chance against the CH pain. I've been shot, didn't hurt that much. I had a doctor pull out a nail from my shoulder (it was deep inside the bone itself) with no anastethic whatsoever - doesn't hurt that much.

I don't think that sniffing peppers will make me feel good. I love my triptans, my Red Bulls and a strong, black coffee in the morning. Soon I'll love my O2 NRB set.

Knee surgery during a cycle suxors! I had an IV of whatever it is they pump into you for hydration, and the room was hotter than crap. After about 7 hours of waiting.... BAM kip 7 with nowhere to go. Sux. I had an airplane hit me in the head...didn't hurt either, but I ain't gonna put a pepper up my nose. I second the redbull, coffee, and triptans! Haven't been shot yet, managed to avoid all of those.
« Last Edit: Jun 2nd, 2008 at 9:03pm by DeStijl »  
https://www.facebook.com/eric.mcgaha  
IP Logged

LeeS
CH.com Alumnus

I love C12 H16 N2O!

West London, UK, Europe
Reply #36 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 11:05am

Capsaicin is still a funny one and unfortunately (IMHO and it sounds like Guiseppi's too) is no longer flavour of the day (no pun intended).

Intranasal capsaicin has been studied clinically in CH, albeit with limited efficacy, and they actually use it subcutaneously to stimulate cranial pain in healthy volunteers to monitor venous effects compared with normal headaches!  Topical capsaicin (usually a cream or gel) is known to be a safe and effective pain management adjunct for rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, neuralgias, and diabetic neuropathy.

The theory is that capsaicin actually induces the release of a peptide called Substance P (P is for pain) but after repeated use it depletes the neuron of Substance P and hence prevents re-accumulation of this and other nociceptive peptides.  However, the importance of Substance P in the pathogenesis of CH is debatable, particularly when compared with migraine.

Capsaicin also increases nitric oxide (NO) which is elevated during a CH attack, which confuses the issue somewhat (for me anyway); perhaps it also depletes NO after continual use?  The good thing about it is that it does all this without causing vascular changes or cardiac effects, as can be seen with calcium-channel blockers and other medications used in CH.

Trials have also been conducted on a substance called civamide, a synthetic version of capsaicin, but again only showing moderate efficacy.  I've a hunch though that the synthetic version is probably not as good as the natural stuff.  As far as I am aware, no clinical trials have been conducted on "Sinus Buster" (despite what they say); and as limey-bird and Scott have alluded to, all the anecdotal evidence bar newbies suggests that it doesn't work very well in CH.

If Flo were still here he would no doubt still suggest sufferers would be better served with cayenne capsules or modest amounts of hot sauce taken at regular intervals.

-Lee

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!