Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question about Imitrex tablet usage (Read 2758 times)
Balanchine
CH.com Alumnus

x0|Los Angeles|USA||0|0|CA,Cal
Question about Imitrex tablet usage
May 28th, 2008 at 6:47pm

Hello All:

So I've got these sumatriptan tabs, 100 mg. My question is if I can take them on a daily basis if necessary. I know the maximum dosage is 2 per 24 hrs.

My neurologist is a busy guy (aren't they all...) and I'm not sure I'll be able to get him on the phone before the end of the work week, and I'm leaving town early Monday for 3 weeks. I do use oxygen as well and have had some great PM correspondence with a few people here about that, but may need to rely on the Imitrex for those weeks away.

I'm wondering about people's experiences with this and whether I run any risks either of triggering a chronic CH condition and/or lessening my sensitivity i.e. the efficacy of the stuff and/or any other more lasting effects.

Thank you, gentlepersons. Any advice greatly appreciated.

David

IP Logged

debOUCH
CH.com Old Timer

..&^%*%$(*&^&^%..

x0|Holbrook|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
Re: Question about Imitrex tablet usage
Reply #1 - May 28th, 2008 at 7:14pm

i have them also, tho they dont help.i believe it's only a couple a month.....ck ur script

Deb Piscitelli Powers winelova50  
IP Logged

Balanchine
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #2 - May 28th, 2008 at 7:20pm

Deb, thanks for your reply. The prescription only indicates no more than 2 during a 24 hour period. It says nothing about frequency over time, unfortunately. Appreciate your concern though and sorry to hear they don't work for you. Assume you've tried O2 and some of the other modalities?

David

IP Logged

mezza
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

north carolina
Reply #3 - May 28th, 2008 at 8:36pm

With imitrex-  2 a day is allowed , but it is your insurance company that limits the number of pills per month.  you can ask your doctor to fill out a prescription override allowing you to receive more than the amount of pills  per month that your insurance allows.

For me , imitrex pills were my last resort as an abortive.  Takes too long for me to kick in.  I would ask for injectables or nasals instead- injectables abort for me within 5 minutes, nasals within 10 min or so.  One thing to be mindful of though- with some insurance companies, they will only allow you one type of imitrex script to be filled at a time.   
Example:  i had a script for imitrex nasals and an override allowing me 6 in a week vs 6 in a month.  I had that script filled two days before going to doc.   Doc then gave me script for injectables.   Tried to get script filled-  insurance company wouldn't do it-  So you may want to check with your insurance company to see what rules they have around triptans. 

Now-  with my insurance company-  i can get 2 different kinds of triptans filled at the same time  - like zomig and imitrex- or frova and imitrex-   but can't take them the same day- 

Good luck to You!!!

kelly

IP Logged

Jonny
Ex Member

Reply #4 - May 28th, 2008 at 8:54pm

mezza wrote on May 28th, 2008 at 8:36pm:
 i can get 2 different kinds of triptans filled at the same time  - like zomig and imitrex- or frova and imitrex-   but can't take them the same day-  

That is huge important info right there, mixing triptans can kill you!

See if you can get the Trex injects, it will knock the beast on his ass in under five minutes (for most of us anyways)

Good luck!

IP Logged

Balanchine
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #5 - May 28th, 2008 at 9:24pm

Kelly and Jonny - thanks a mill for the responses. "Luckily" the insurance issue doesn't pertain here. Which is to say I'm paying out of pocket for this stuff because my deductible is so high that I'm just not bothering submitting claims. I'm buying the stuff from Canada. And no danger mixing, I'm only getting the one kind - but very good to know that, Jonny.

As it happens I did get a call from my neurologist, whadda great guy, and although he'd rather I didn't use the Imitrex every day he said I could if I needed to. And he wants me to continue with the Topamax meanwhile, so I get to be stupid and sleepy and a zombie for another month I guess. Which I'm hoping will take me through the end of this cycle if the past is any guide. But better that then.... but I don't have to tell anyone here!

Thing is, for years I was just toughing it out. Using things like Excedrin and Fioricet! To me, having a drug like Imitrex that will absotively, posilutely knock the monster out, even if it takes half an hour, is a godsend. And don't get me started on how great oxygen is...

thanks again, all.
David

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!