Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I LOVE consignment stores.... (Read 3087 times)
Redd
CH.com Sponsor

Stevens Point USA Wisconsin
I LOVE consignment stores....
May 31st, 2008 at 6:58pm

So....

I'll be starting my new job, which means I'll be out driving from cliet to client 99% of my time rather than 10% of my time.  So I figured that I better update my summer work wardrobe, because I won't be "IN" the office as much as I will be out and about and I have no AC in the Aztec.

6 new dresses (3 of them are 2 piece outfits)
4 new skirts
8 new tops
1 summer weight slack suit

Total was $143.22

Damn near everything was either new, (can tell by the neck tags) or ever so gently used.

I saw the racks of summer weight dress slacks and I'll be going back tomorrow to try on a bunch more clothes. (And buy more too I'm sure)

Am I the only one who would rather get good quality used clothes?  Costs are outrageous right now and I find this an affordable way to update my wardrobe without breaking the bank.

So then I go to KaMeapart to get more cat litter and a shed comb, and I run across the color scheme I've been wanting for my bedroom for ages, and so I baught all new bedding too.  

Sort of pastel shades of sage and other greens and cream and then you accent with deep purples and silver gray.

So now that everything is washed and hung up, and the quilt is in the dryer fluffing out I can't wait to be totally finished updating my room too with the bed freshly made.  I'd prefer to have the sheets hung out in the sunshine, but there are no clothes lines here at the apt. complex so I'm SOL that way.  

Ok that was my day..  Once I'm done making the bed, I'm popping in a pizza for dinner and coloring my hair.

I feel I've accomplished something today.

"The goal of life living in agreement with Nature."  ~Zeno
peggflick ma_2_2  
IP Logged

Jonny
Ex Member

Re: I LOVE consignment stores....
Reply #1 - May 31st, 2008 at 7:19pm

So, you had a good day shopping?

Great! Wink

IP Logged

Redd
CH.com Sponsor

Reply #2 - May 31st, 2008 at 7:43pm

I seldom go shopping.  Did I need the new clothes for work?  Yes.  Did I NEED the new bedding?  No, but I WANTED it.  

(Yes, I'm rationalizing this to myself.  I don't normally go and buy something I don't need.)

I'm rather frugal in my spending habits because I've always needed to be.  

I'll admit it felt good to buy myself something I wanted rather than needed.  But even when I buy what we need, I get some sort of odd fullfillment from getting the best price possibe.  

I know I'm strange...

Cheesy

peggflick ma_2_2  
IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #3 - May 31st, 2008 at 8:17pm

I know what you mean about the consignment shops!!

Why just the other day, I found this adorable, purple suede leather micro mini skirt that I look MAHHHHVELOUS in!

And then the perfect hot purple blouse ...

All for $45.00 !!!

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #4 - May 31st, 2008 at 10:06pm

Chuck! 

TMI !!!   Smiley Smiley

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #5 - May 31st, 2008 at 10:24pm

From either Salvation Army or Goodwill, I get all my Neil Young flannel shirts, Junior gets gross 70's sport coats, and Pat gets all sorts of porcelain figurines (for making face balls):

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Mosaicwench
CH.com Sponsor

www.mosaicwench.com

Near Milwaukee WI, USA
Reply #6 - May 31st, 2008 at 11:02pm

Brew hasn't looked at my side of the closet lately.  I buy a lot of clothes at Goodwill, too.

Boston Store and some other department stores have an agreement to send all their overstocks to Goodwill.  I get things with department store tags for a buck or two a piece.

I'm not afraid to say I shop there.  We have one income and we stretch it as far as we can.

“Be regular and orderly in your life, so that you may be violent and original in your work.”
~Flaubert
WWW http://www.facebook.com/home.php?id=1240423960&ref Mosaicwench  
IP Logged

JuniorBrew
CH.com Junior

Who are you people?!

Near Milwaukee, WI, USA
Reply #7 - May 31st, 2008 at 11:36pm

Quote:
Junior gets gross 70's sport coats.

HEY! It was ONE! So what if the jacket is red, white, blue, and black plaid, and the pants are maroon with decorative stitching? It's totally Ted Baxter from Mary Tyler Moore meets a 70's used Cadillac salesman!

I actually get a lot of my wardrobe there...

It's affordable on my minimum wage income...

Tongue

"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and provide new Guards for their future security."
JuniorBrew roy_sktr TheLowEnd1206  
IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #8 - Jun 1st, 2008 at 12:19am

We know a woman who trolls the city's thrift stores for "vintage" used cowboy boots.  No use anyone else in town trying to find the good ones--she's got it covered.  She knows boots.

Think there's no money in such a weird item?  Think again.  She sells them on Ebay for anywhere from $25 up to $500 a pair.  Some to collectors.

Old shoes, for crying out loud.

Roll Eyes

Best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

Redd
CH.com Sponsor

Reply #9 - Jun 1st, 2008 at 9:29am

Funny you said cowboy boots George.  There was a very young couple at the store yesterday, and she bought him a pair of cowboy boots.

The kids and I also find that consignment and Good Will stores allow us to to do a small part in the "going green" process.  

Reusing the dolls Pat, to make art is a wonderful idea.

peggflick ma_2_2  
IP Logged

Jonny
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jun 1st, 2008 at 1:24pm

George wrote on Jun 1st, 2008 at 12:19am:
She sells them on Ebay for anywhere from $25 up to $500 a pair.  Some to collectors.

Damn, I wonder how much a I can get for my big black boots. They cost me $418, but seeing that they weigh six pounds each its hell on my sciatica so I never wear them. Cool

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2008 at 1:24pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Langa
CH.com Alumnus

So many donuts, such little
time...

x0||USA|usa|0|0|NJ,New_Jersey
Reply #11 - Jun 1st, 2008 at 3:10pm

I Love consignment stores too Redd...or "vintage" as we like to call it.  But the one near me doesn't sell clothes, just household items and furniture.

Glad you treated yourself today.  You've earned it.

Hugs,
Langa

When you saw only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!