Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Depakote and working out (Read 2480 times)
WPWaterrose
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Depakote and working out
Jun 1st, 2008 at 12:59am

Ok general question about side effects of Depakote.  I am on week 14 of my cycle. I am weening off prednisone and verapamil (they stopped working). I have been getting injections of DHE and am now weening off that. SO.. this leaves me on 1500mg's of Depakote per day (Which I began a week ago). I have been attack free for 4 days now.
Is it possible to begin my comeback and try to lose weight and get back into shape? Or has anyone experienced bad side effects from Depakote that I should keep in mind (that still may be on the horizon for me)?
Any comments about depakote are appreicated, the drug is new to me.
Thank you everyone in advance and God bless those battling the devil as we speak.

William P

IP Logged

Karla
CH.com Alumnus

One of Many and Never
Alone - Join OUCH

x1|Madison WI USA
Re: Depakote and working out
Reply #1 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 7:10pm

I took this medicine for epilepsy about 20 years ago.  You should be able to work out on it.  I on the other hand had an allergic reaction to it and develped a rash and problems breathing.  Glad to hear that you are having some initial sucess with it for ch.  I hope it continues to give you the much needed relief.

Karla&&suffer chronic ch &&ch.com groupie since 1999&&Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Karlak_1313  
IP Logged

purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #2 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 2:09am

Glad to hear the Depakote is working for you. Other than making me tired at first, it didn't really bother me when I took it, and I had no problems working out. But, if in doubt, always give your doc a call and ask him.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

WPWaterrose
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 4:11pm

Sigh..  scrap that.   I just had my worst three days of my cycle.  As soon as the DHE shots wore off, I was begging God to kill me. Well.. at least I gave depakote a try.
My Neuro want me to try Sansert now?

Thank you so much for the kind words. I love how we all understand what each other is going through (espeically when it seems no one else does).

William

IP Logged

purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #4 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 1:54am

Depakote has to build up in your system, so you may not want to go off it yet. Sansert will be the same way, it has to build up. Most prevents are like that. Can you take imitrex? The injections and nasal sprays work pretty quick.

Have you tried O2? Its the best abortive, used at between 15 to 25 LPM. Also, try some of the energy drinks, like Red Bull, or Rock Star, they need to have caffeine and taurine in them. Slam one down as soon as you know you are getting hit, they will either kill it, or lower the pain level. The taurine helps the caffeine get into your system faster. Or you can suck down strong coffee.

What other meds have you tried?

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!