Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is this what people are becoming? (Read 2334 times)
deltadarlin
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Downsville LA
Is this what people are becoming?
Jun 6th, 2008 at 8:36am

This is absolutely disgusting. 

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Re: Is this what people are becoming?
Reply #1 - Jun 6th, 2008 at 9:08am

I saw this on the news this morning...............it broke my heart. 

I work with children everyday and see first hand that empathy and compassion must be nurtured and sometimes even taught.   Otherwise we end up a society that lets a 78 year old man bleed in the street after being hit by a car, alone and scared and injured.  Where was someone that could have just touched his hand to say that someone  is here  or that help is on the way?  I heard his son say, "you'd help even a dog wouldn't you." Cry

Jeannie
« Last Edit: Jun 6th, 2008 at 9:09am by Jeannie »  

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #2 - Jun 6th, 2008 at 9:21am

I'm not certain that this says something about us as human beings.  Indifference and callousness exists, of course, but I don't think it's the norm. 

Although it was handled badly, the article goes on to say that four people called 911 within one minute of the incident.  Granted, someone should at least have been diverting traffic and making some effort to assist directly.  I think a great many people have never had any training--or indeed, have never thought about how to react in an emergency.  They simply have no idea what to do.  And so they do nothing.  A couple of days training in first aid or CPR by one or more of the bystanders here could easily have changed the whole scenario.  I think it behooves all of us to do so. 

For every one of these types of incidents, there are a hundred like this:

Not defending what people did or did not do in this video--simply trying to understand it. 

All the best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

Jimmy_B.
CH.com Alumnus

USS Missouri BB-63 Veteran

Langhorne, Pennsylvania
Reply #3 - Jun 6th, 2008 at 4:07pm

It's called the "Bystander Effect" The liklihood of someone helping an "in need" individual decreases as the number of onlookers or bystanders increases. Everyone will gawk and wonder why no one is helping the individual.

CHeck out; Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

We are taught as emergency responders that you cannot just yell for someone to "Call 911". If we did that everyone would turn and look at each other expecting someone else to do it. We have to either point at or yell..."YOU in the Blue Shirt. Call 911"

So if you're ever in need of assistance make sure there are only 1 or 2 people around when you need it.

Jimmy

"I'd much rather be HAPPY then RIGHT any day" (Slartibartfast). Always remember your towel and "DON'T PANIC!  

IP Logged

aprilbee
CH.com Alumnus

Ain't I a stinkah!!

Warr Acres, Oklahoma
Reply #4 - Jun 6th, 2008 at 5:19pm

That video is shocking...I'm giong to leave it at that...it makes me very sad. Cry

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” By Maya Angelou

IP Logged

Giovanni
CH.com Hall of Famer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x1|Cary|USA|usa|472|185|NC,North_Carolina
Reply #5 - Jun 6th, 2008 at 8:13pm

That was very disturbing to me.  What the hell are people coming too? 

I saw one worse than that a couple years ago in Israel where a dead motorcyclist lay in the streets for HOURS.  Cars, buses, other motorcycle were just riding around him as if he were a piece of garbage.

disgusted
John Undecided

IP Logged

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus

Happy to be here

Jamestown, NY
Reply #6 - Jun 6th, 2008 at 8:20pm

Sadly,  this is not new but I wonder just how common it is thoughout history.

We don't hear of this happening 100 years ago but then no one was there to report it because it's a great story for TV. My feeling is that more people would assist though and part of it lies with what people have to put up with now. You'll probably get grilled by the police and  have to fill out a lot of forms. Insurance companies will no doubt waste your time if they can. Things are different.

I tell myself that older guys like me do would do better but I can't be sure.

Charlie

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
135447360 mondocharlie mondocharlie  
IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #7 - Jun 6th, 2008 at 8:28pm

Quote:
Where was someone that could have just touched his hand to say that someone  is here

EXACTLY  Jean.   Where were they?

From what I understand of the news story it was in a very bad neighborhood that has a mind-set of don't get involved.   How sad and pathetic that someone couldn't have held his hand, to let him know before he died that someone cared.

As George pointed out, please learn CPR and basic first aid.  I have,  and I am certified through the Red Cross.  And no, this is not a public service message.   

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #8 - Jun 6th, 2008 at 9:14pm

I am also CPR certified, Linda.  Isn't it sad though that now days people are afraid to administer CPR for fear of being sued?   I guess that's part of why people don't get involved.   

A few years ago I was in a restaurant when bus boy fell to the floor and began seizing.   I got up from my table and got down on the floor with him.  I made sure that his head was protected and that someone called 911.  When he came out of the seizure I waited with him till the EMTs arrived and spoke to them about how long the seizure lasted, ect.  After it was all over the restaurant owner came over and made such a big deal that I had helped.  It wasn't at all though.  I just did what I thought any human with any compassion would do.  After hearing this story I guess I was wrong.

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #9 - Jun 6th, 2008 at 9:38pm

NO...you are not Jean.  You are not wrong at all.  And if trying to save a life gets someone in trouble then knowing they tried lets us sleep at night.

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Jonny
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jun 6th, 2008 at 10:04pm

Its a sad, sad world! Sad

WTF is a "Timbit"?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!