Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Yet another Verapamil question (Read 1399 times)
MPMIII
CH.com Veteran

Alabama
Yet another Verapamil question
Jun 6th, 2008 at 9:48am

History:

I have been lurking on the sight for two years, with an occasional post.  I have found the message board to be extremely helpful, and most of the time, a better source for information than my MD.   

I was diagnosed two years ago with clusters.   After trying several different cocktails prescribed by my MD, I have settled on 720mg of verapamil.   The verapamil has kept my attacks down from at least three a day (kip 6-10), to about three a week (kip 3-8).  The imitrex is my saving grace.

I have noticed that the verapamil has left me with less energy, forgetfulness and a general lethargic feeling.  For this reason, I am contemplating trying to taper off of it.  Oh, and I will talk with my MD before making any decisions, I just wanted to get some of your input first.

Question:

I am wondering if I there is anyone out there that has stopped taking verapamil and still kept the hits down, or do they regress back to where they were before.  Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks to all.

Regards,

MPMIII

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: Yet another Verapamil question
Reply #1 - Jun 6th, 2008 at 12:38pm

Print out these lists of therapies to use as a discussion tool with your doc.

CH will return if you are off a preventive. The alternative would be to reduce the Verap dose and see if it still gives protection while reducing the side effects which trouble you.
------------

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002)
================
Michigan Headache & Neurological Institute for another list of treatments and other articles:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

« Last Edit: Jun 6th, 2008 at 12:39pm by Bob Johnson »  

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

mezza
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

north carolina
Reply #2 - Jun 7th, 2008 at 9:48pm

I just tapered off 660 mg of verap very slowly over a three week period and have not taken any verap in a week- no hits - but i hadn't had any hits for about 6 weeks or so-  some shadows though.

However, I believe my cycle is over.  I only tapered when i was pretty darned sure my cycle was over.  Verp makes me have 0 energy, very sleepy and also forgetful and words don't come too easy for me on the verap.  However,  i was painfree - gave me a better quality of life then i had while in high cycle!

As far as tapering off when you are still in cycle and the effects?  Your doctor i'm sure could advise what that taper should like and maybe he could have another script ready of something else to begin building up in your system so that the HA's don't ramp up again?  just my two cents

good luck

kelly

IP Logged

johnp
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Jun 8th, 2008 at 3:32am

try 240mg verapamil, 600mg lithium, and 
50mg elavil at night

you will feel more normal

IP Logged

MPMIII
CH.com Veteran

Alabama
Reply #4 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 10:46am

[/color]CH will return if you are off a preventive. The alternative would be to reduce the Verap dose and see if it still gives protection while reducing the side effects which trouble you.[color=#ffff00]

Thanks for the advice.   On Friday I cut  my dose to 360mg, and things have taken a turn for the worse.  I am not sure if it is a coincidence or attributed to the lower dose, but I have gone from my 3 a week to having five kip(7-9) yesterday.   Needless to say, I have taken my dose back up and hope to see results soon.  I guess it was wishful thinking.  Thanks again.  I appreciate it.

All the best.

MPMIII 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!