Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help A Hoosier.... (Read 1186 times)
KJ
CH.com Alumnus

Indianapolis, IN
Help A Hoosier....
Jun 7th, 2008 at 8:07pm

...with prayers or vibes. Many of the same areas that got hit with tornados last weekend are being hit with the dreaded 'hundred year flood' this weekend. Some places recieved over ten inches of rain in a twelve hour period. So many people are stranded, they called in the Michigan Coast Guard helicopter rescue folks to fly down and help.

What a mess.  Cry

Quit smoking March 6th, 2008

IP Logged

Karla
CH.com Alumnus

One of Many and Never
Alone - Join OUCH

x1|Madison WI USA
Re: Help A Hoosier....
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2008 at 8:17pm

Your in my prayers but we could use some here in Wisconsin as well.  We have been pelted with Tornados all around us and in our midst all day long.  No injuries reported but it moved and damaged cars in a car lot, put down power lines, trees on houses, etc.  The hole southern half of the state has been hit hard.

Karla&&suffer chronic ch &&ch.com groupie since 1999&&Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Karlak_1313  
IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #2 - Jun 7th, 2008 at 8:45pm

A long time ago, when I lived in that area, it was well-known that certain areas lying in the Mississippi River watershed were more prone to flooding than the areas lying north of the divide in the Great Lakes watershed.  Unfortunately, the flood-prone portion involves the greater part of the state--beginning south of LaPorte, in the Kankakee River drainage.  The flood plains along the rivers in this area are well-known, and have been subject to repeated flooding over the years.  It sounds as if there has been a "perfect storm" of circumstances this year, making it much worse than usual.

Here's a bit of information on the subject that includes a map of the flood plains in the northern portion of the state:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I have not forgotten how miserable a flood year could be for those folks--and I sincerely hope that a good, long stretch of cool weather will slow down the process.  Otherwise, it could be very bad.

I believe some of our Hoosier folks (Jackie and Blake come to mind) are north of the area that is most often affected, although others may not be.  I hope those folks will keep in touch and let us know how they are.

Best wishes to my Hoosier brothers and sisters,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

KJ
CH.com Alumnus

Indianapolis, IN
Reply #3 - Jun 7th, 2008 at 9:12pm

Oh George, the northern part of the state wasn't even wet. Check your news channels tomorrow...you won't believe it.

Karla, I'm sending prayers your way too.

Quit smoking March 6th, 2008

IP Logged

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus

Happy to be here

Jamestown, NY
Reply #4 - Jun 7th, 2008 at 10:13pm

They're in my thoughts too. I've neve rseen such a mess. Horrible weather.

Charlie
« Last Edit: Jun 7th, 2008 at 10:14pm by Charlie »  

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
135447360 mondocharlie mondocharlie  
IP Logged

DonnaH_again
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jun 7th, 2008 at 11:03pm

Praying for all.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!