Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
imitrex overdose (Read 6416 times)
icculus
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Pittsburgh
imitrex overdose
Jun 8th, 2008 at 5:25pm

does anyone know the risks of taking more than the prescribed daily allowance of imitrex?

also, does it REALLY expire, or from what i have heard is this is just a drug company $$ maker?

i am currently in a 4 a dayer and HAVE to use imitrex.  unfortunatley i am down to my last injection, which i will cut into at least 2 more doses.  i do have a injection capsule from 2005 & 2 nasal sprays from nov. 07.  

looks like i will be dropping some serious cash this month, and getting that o2 tank back.

really tryin...
thanks for the help.

IP Logged

icedragon
Ex Member

Re: imitrex overdose
Reply #1 - Jun 8th, 2008 at 5:35pm

I read a post just the other day.  Poster said he OD'd and had a Heart Attack. 

I have in the past used "expired" Zomig spray, It worked just fine and had been expired for 3 years.  Be careful and PF wishes.\

Thomas

IP Logged

icculus
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Pittsburgh
Reply #2 - Jun 8th, 2008 at 5:51pm

how do you not take it...when salvation is sitting right there?

Quote:
I read a post just the other day.  Poster said he OD'd and had a Heart Attack.  

i guess a heart attack would be worse...right Cheesy
thanks (from the heart)

IP Logged

Pinkfloyd
CH.com Hall of Famer

comfortably numb

x0||USA||||IL,Illinois
Reply #3 - Jun 8th, 2008 at 6:03pm

icculus wrote on Jun 8th, 2008 at 5:25pm:
does anyone know the risks of taking more than the prescribed daily allowance of imitrex?

On the bright side, you may find that your attack frequency decreases when you run out of Imitrex.

I hear ya about walking away from a vial of relief sitting there. It ain't easy.

1: Headache. 2004 Jul-Aug;44(7):713-8. Related Articles, Links   

Subcutaneous sumatriptan induces changes in frequency pattern in cluster headache patients.

Rossi P, Lorenzo GD, Formisano R, Buzzi MG.

Headache Centre, INI Grottaferrata, Rome, Italy.

OBJECTIVES: To document the relationship between the use of subcutaneous (SQ) sumatriptan (sum) and a change in frequency pattern of cluster headache (CH) in six patients. To discuss the clinical and pathophysiological implications of this observation in the context of available literature. BACKGROUND: Treatment with SQ sum may cause an increase in attack frequency of CH but data from literature are scant and controversial. METHODS: Six CH sum-naive patients (three episodic and three chronic according to the International Headache Society (IHS) criteria) are described. RESULTS: All six patients had very fast relief from pain and accompanying symptoms from the drug but they developed an increase in attack frequency soon after using SQ sum. In all patients, the CH returned to its usual frequency within a few days after SQ sum was withdrawn or replaced with other drugs. Five patients were not taking any prophylactic treatment and SQ sum was the only drug prescribed to treat their headache. CONCLUSIONS: Physicians should recognize the possibility that treatment of CH with SQ sum may be associated with an increased frequency of headache attacks.

Publication Types: 
Case Reports

PMID: 15209695 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] 

best of luck...hang in there,
Bobw

"those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
- C.S. Lewis
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW psiloscribe pinkshroomrat  
IP Logged

icculus
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Pittsburgh
Reply #4 - Jun 8th, 2008 at 6:17pm

that makes tons of sense...
when i switched from the nasal to the injections the frequency went from a steady 3 a day to 4-5.

was 5 am-4pm-11pm
went to 5am-10am-4pm-11pm...
at first i thought the 10am was just a "rougue" ha, but it decided to stay in the rotation.

hoping the decreased dosage will help...that is some extremely helpful info...thank you

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #5 - Jun 8th, 2008 at 8:47pm

Funct Neurol. 2000 Jul-Sep;15(3):167-70. 

Sumatriptan overuse in episodic cluster headache: lack of adverse events, rebound syndromes, drug dependence and tachyphylaxis.

Centonze V, Bassi A, Causarano V, Dalfino L, Cassiano MA, Centonze A, Fabbri L, Albano O.

Dept of Internal Medicine and Public Medicine, University of Bari, Italy.

This observational study was designed to examine the pattern of sumatriptan use in patients with cluster headache using more than the recommended daily dose of subcutaneously injected (s.c.) sumatriptan. Thirteen patients suffering from episodic cluster headache were asked to record the characteristics of their attacks and drug intake for 1 year. All reported a high daily frequency of attacks (more than 3 per day) and the related overuse of s.c. sumatriptan. The results show that the overall incidence of adverse events among patients receiving sumatriptan injections for the treatment of cluster headache is low. The extended administration of this drug in episodic cluster headache did not result in tolerance problems or tachyphylaxis. Only 4 patients experienced minor adverse events and recovered more slowly than the others. They suffered from migraine without aura and cluster headache, and showed a family history of migraine. Even though they must be viewed with caution, due to the observational nature of the study and the low number of patients included, these results suggest that the profile of sumatriptan may differ in cluster headache compared with migraine.

PMID: 11062845 

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Qazpur
CH.com Junior

Amsterdam
Reply #6 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 4:01am

in line with the study that bob posted, i haven't experienced any side effects from exceeding max recommended daily dose - this last cycle i was using up to 4 injections per day for extended periods without rebounds. "expired" injections have also worked fine for me (2003 was a particularly good vintage Smiley) - my understanding is that at worst it can be a little less effective.

with regards to overdose levels for medication, i would imagine that the manufacturers leave themselves a fairly large margin for error out of legal necessity. also, human trials to determine dangerous levels of any medication are probably out of the question.

that all having been said, try at own risk, this is not a recommendation of any kind, simply recounting my own experiences and observations...

may your cycles be short and your pain-free days long...

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #7 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 7:23am

Headache. 2004 May;44 Suppl 1:S20-30.
Cardiovascular tolerability and safety of triptans: a review of clinical data.

Dodick DW, Martin VT, Smith T, Silberstein S.

Department of Neurology, Mayo Clinic Scottsdale, AZ 85359, USA.

Triptans are not widely used in clinical practice despite their well-established efficacy, endorsement by the US Headache Consortium, and the demonstrable need to employ effective intervention to reduce migraine-associated disability. Although the relatively restricted use of triptans may be attributed to several factors, research suggests that prescribers' concerns about cardiovascular safety prominently figure in limiting their use. This article reviews clinical data--including results of clinical trials, postmarketing studies and surveillance, and pharmacodynamic studies--relevant to assessing the cardiovascular safety profile of the triptans. These data demonstrate that triptans are generally well tolerated. Chest symptoms occurring during use of triptans are usually nonserious and usually not attributed to ischemia. Incidence of triptan-associated serious cardiovascular adverse events in both clinical trials and clinical practice appears to be extremely low. When they do occur, serious cardiovascular events have most often been reported in patients at significant cardiovascular risk or in those with overt cardiovascular disease. Adverse cardiovascular events also have occurred, however, in patients without evidence of cardiovascular disease. Several lines of evidence suggest that nonischemic mechanisms are responsible for sumatriptan-associated chest symptoms, although the mechanism of chest symptoms has not been determined to date. Importantly, most of the clinical trials and clinical practice data on triptans are derived from patients without known cardiovascular disease. Therefore, the conclusions of this review cannot be extended to patients with cardiovascular disease. The cardiovascular safety profile of triptans favors their use in the absence of contraindications.

Publication Types:
Review

PMID: 15149490 [PubMed]

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Giovanni
CH.com Hall of Famer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x1|Cary|USA|usa|472|185|NC,North_Carolina
Reply #8 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 8:20am

The above people are right, the more imitrex you use, the more dependant you'll become for the next one.  I believe that it causes rebounds and requirements for another one same time next day.  I used HUNDREDS of these things over the years.  My first line of defense is O2, then redbull, then triptan drug if absolutely necessary.

You might want to give zomig nasal a try.  About 15 minutes to work, BUT much longer half life and prevention of the next one for some hours (my results).  A bit cheaper too. 

No problem with expired zomigs, imitrex injections, etc. as long as they were stored properly.  And yes, I have used more than the 2 per day RX limit.  Best of luck to you............get the O2 back  Wink

John

IP Logged

icculus
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Pittsburgh
Reply #9 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 9:57am

great advise/insight...

this sight is simply amazing, actually you people are amazing.

the 1/3 injection doesnt seem to pack enough punch, hopefully 1/2 an injection does the trick.  I will also look into zomig.  any problems mixing the zomig and imitrex?

Now its time to teach my new Dr. about CH and O2. (my old dr. who was fantastic, got caught w/ an intern).

thanks again

IP Logged

Giovanni
CH.com Hall of Famer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 10:08am

icculus wrote on Jun 9th, 2008 at 9:57am:
any problems mixing the zomig and imitrex?

Yes, big time problem IF you do not wait at least 24 hours before starting Zomig after having used imitrex or any other triptan as far as that is concerned.  I almost killed myself one time mixing triptans.

John

IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH messes with my isness

Charlotte, NC
Reply #11 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 10:12am

Giovanni wrote on Jun 9th, 2008 at 8:20am:
The above people are right, the more imitrex you use, the more dependant you'll become for the next one.  

As always, care to be used in word choice when we talk about medications. "Dependent" implies a chemical association, resulting in an inherent urge to use the drug.

If the injection is sitting there and the O2 hasn't worked, or the Red Bull for that matter, making the choice between withstanding a full on CH and not taking an injection becomes a choice that is more difficult to rationalize. A much more cognitive, albeit a degree of reliance, but not "dependence".

Or am I splitting hairs....?

Scott

Scott

IP Logged

Qazpur
CH.com Junior

Amsterdam
Reply #12 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 11:40am

Giovanni wrote on Jun 9th, 2008 at 8:20am:
The above people are right, the more imitrex you use, the more dependant you'll become for the next one.  I believe that it causes rebounds and requirements for another one same time next day. 

Hi John, you may want to qualify that. The study that Bob Johnson quoted (as well as my own experience) refer specifically to a lack of rebound syndromes, drug dependence and tachyphylaxis (desensitization through overuse).

may your cycles be short and your pain-free days long...

IP Logged

Giovanni
CH.com Hall of Famer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #13 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 12:06pm

I agree with all of you.  Tried O2, red bull and then I'll reach for the Zomig or imitrex in a heart beat.  The more Zomig or imitrex I USE the more I need--the longer the cycle (in my epsodic days).  My experience.

John 

IP Logged

icculus
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Pittsburgh
Reply #14 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 4:14pm

you might find this interesting:
days 1-7 - 3 ch (5am-4pm-11pm - all easily handled with imitrex nasal)
day 8 -  3 ch (out of nasal switch to 6mg injection- -5am-4pm-11pm)
day 9-  4 ch (5am-11am-4pm-11pm)
day 10 - 5 ch (5am-11am-4pm-(8pm switched to 2 mg injection)-11pm)
day 11 - 3 ch - 5am - 4pm - 11pm
day 12 - shadowed all #@%*ing day - 1 ch - (11pm)
day 13 - so far so good...pf

it appears that when i switched to the injections the frequency increased, and when i reduced the mg of the injection the frequency reduced.

this being said, i bet we all could fill an encylopedia with theories about triggers, breaking cycles, coping....  i didnt drink red wine for like 8 yrs thinking it was trigger, now i make the stuff.  my biggest mistake, i assume:
1. the cycle's done
2. their not coming back
3. i have enough meds...

IP Logged

Paul98
CH.com Alumnus

What, it's all in my head?

Clyde, NY  USA
Reply #15 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 4:24pm

For the injection of imitrex I never use a full dose. I use a 0.5 ml insulin syringe and typicaly ise 1/4 of the single dose vial.  It takes a bit longer for it to work but it stretches the trex and reduces chanced of rebound.  For all the meds we take I suggest minimal dose to do the job. Wink

-P.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register[img name=signat_img_resize]http://thumb15.web
Paul98 pjl98  
IP Logged

icculus
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Pittsburgh
Reply #16 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 4:46pm

i gave my dr. a demonstration yesterday on the imitrex q-tip delivery system...he seemed impressed.

i might help someone else out - surely seemed to help me.

IP Logged

purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #17 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 5:49pm

Have your doc prescribe you Imitrex in vials, with syringes. That way, you can fill your syringe with 1/3 of a shot (each vial is a single dose), or 1/2 shot, or a full dose.

Paul, I've taken less than a 1/3 shot in the past, and it has worked. I notice that when I'm really getting slammed, 1/3 of a shot doesn't quite cut it, so I go to 1/2. When I'm in high cycle, I have to use a full shot. Then I also use more than directed, with my neuro's approval, but when it gets to that point, I get the pred taper going.

I've never noticed rebounds while using imitrex, myself, but I know a lot of people get them. If you can split your shots, the possibility of having a rebound headache lessens. I've gotten them from taking OTC meds, like ibuprofen.

I've used outdated trex, even from 2004, this year, and did not have any adverse effects at all. I did not notice it having lost any strength, but I keep my trex in a climate controlled (somewhat) place, even temps, in the dark.

Whatever you do, do not mix any triptans, always wait 24 hours between using different kinds.

But, your doc can prescribe you trex in vials, so you don't have to use the q-tip trick. I explained to my neuro that I was splitting the shots, and would he give me a script for vials. he didn't know they came in vials, but did some quick research, and I had a script when I left his office that day. Remember to let your doc know to give you as many extra syringes as you will need, for splitting the shots, if a script is required where you live, with a few spares just in case. I've dropped them on the floor, and accidentally stuck myself with them before dispensing the trex...  Roll Eyes.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Trooper
CH.com Veteran

I ain't skeert!

x0|mckinney|USA||0|0|TX,Texas
Reply #18 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 11:17pm

I could have this all wrong but I seem to remember a couple of years ago there was a member of this board that had a stroke from using more than the perscribed amount of Imitrex. The doses placed on perscriptions are there for a reason. Drug companies want you to buy there drugs and they want to make as much money off of you as possible. It would not be profitable for them to limit your intake of their products unless it could possibly be hazardous to your health. Keep in mind that Imitrex rapidly constricts all of the vessels in your brain, doing this more than what is reccomended seems very risky to me. Maybe you would have better luck with Zoming or other second generation triptans like Relpax. The newer Triptans stay in your system longer and supposedly are less likely to cause rebound headaches.

Are you currently using any preventative treatments? Imitrex alone is no way to fight the beast.

IP Logged

joe_d1966
CH.com Newbie

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Reply #19 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 2:00am

Hi all, I have been lurking for the last 5 years, but haven't had much reason to participate, THANKFULLY. 42 Years old, CH's started at age 11, back in 1977. Doctor said they were sinus headaches. Had yearly cycles in spring for 8 to 10 weeks, usually 1 headache per day at between 8-9 am. I don't know why, but my headaches really like the mornings. Finally got diagnosed at age 23 when my sister, who worked for a neurologist suggested that I come into their headache clinic. I still remember his words: "you definitely have cluster headaches. Why did you wait so long to come in?". Nobody took me serious, that's why.  I had never heard of the term "cluster headache". As I look back, it really makes me sad that I had 12 years of yearly cycles and I suffered 100% of the brutality of each one of those headaches. Sad because I can't imagine one of my kids having to suffer even one of them.

So I was finally introduced to Caffergot and Sansert in the late 80's. What a Godsend! The Caffergot took a long time to get into my system, but I found if I took it on an empty stomach when I first felt a shadow, I would get relief for about half of my headaches.  It would never abort a headache once it began though. And the side effect was horrible nausea for the rest of the day. Better than the headache though. Then came Imitrex pills, but again they only worked at the first sign of a shadow, and again on an empty stomach. No nausea though....woohoo. I could never get the pills to abort a full blown headache. In my 20's the remission periods were going to 2 years, but the cycles were still the same.

Now as I have gotten older, my remission periods have been 4 years this time and 5 years the time before that. I feel so blessed and I hope this gives many of you hope that this crap will diminish for you too. My cycle seemed to be a bit shorter too (back in '04), but that was the first time I was given Prednisone, Verapamil AND Imitrex injections. I had to beg for the injections because Kaiser was insisting that Maxalt was superior. Maxalt didn't do squat except save Kaiser money. During an attack, my wife drove me back to the doctor's office. A Physician's Assistant (of all people) looked up everything he could on the internet, put me on 02 on the spot in the office and it aborted the headache in 20 minutes. Put me on Imitrex injections and they aborted every single headache I had for the remainder of the cycle, which was only about 2 weeks longer.

Now I'm in a new cycle and I am having a hard time getting 02 prescibed. The MD has no clue about CH's. I had to bring info for him. Didn't show up in my file because they went from paper files to computer back in 2005. I just can't believe that some are still in the dark ages about this.

This is the wrong forum to tell my story, but I was on a roll. Was checking here because I have 4 expired Trex vials from '05 and want to still use them so I can stretch it out until I get an ok for 02.

Great resource!

IP Logged

icculus
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Pittsburgh
Reply #20 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 2:29pm

Trooper wrote on Jun 11th, 2008 at 11:17pm:
Are you currently using any preventative treatments? Imitrex alone is no way to fight the beast.

topomax - (only a week in so far)

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 3:31pm

NEVER MIX TRIPTANS
EVER
You will know about triptan overdose then.
Mix it up, hit the beast with 02, then caffeine, then trex. Delay the trex anyway you can. Try to decrease injection frequency. The trex rebounds suck. Your one step ahead of the demon. Hope the dopeymax kicks in soon. Maybe a transitional med like pred or lithium till the prevent kicks in. Just trex doesn't quite get er done.
all the best
thebb

IP Logged

icculus
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Pittsburgh
Reply #22 - Jun 18th, 2008 at 12:00pm

just left the neuro...and asked about over doing the imitrex.

he has a 88 yr old ch pateint that uses 6 - 6mg shots per day...
he's chronic and thats his only release.

he also said that the 12 mg limit is because that is all that was tested by safely by the fda. 

personally i had rebounds.  i wouldnt suggest not following directions.
o2 works great

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!