Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Muscle Relaxers (Soma) (Read 4613 times)
BrettK
CH.com Junior

It could be worse...

Anchorage, Alaska
Muscle Relaxers (Soma)
Jun 11th, 2008 at 3:27pm

I haven't seen any talk in here about muscle relaxers.  I did, however, see something on the net that said it was a possible med for CHs.  Before seeing any of this, I experimented on myself and found Soma effective in reducing or eliminating shadows and also effective in blocking how my CH over my eye connects and radiates to my neck.  Anyone else try muscle relaxers?  I'm curious if one is proven better than others.  Also just want to hear opinions on muscle relaxers.

Brett

IP Logged

Paige_H.
CH.com Junior

What the hell?

x0|Princeton|USA||0|0|WV,West_Virginia
Re: Muscle Relaxers (Soma)
Reply #1 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 4:04pm

Muscle relaxers never helped the headache itself, but seemed to relieve the general soreness I always have after one.  Be careful though, Soma is addictive.

IP Logged

just-squiggles
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 5:58pm

"The use of baclofen in cluster headache.   Hering-Hanit R, Gadoth N.   Department of Neurology, Meir General Hospital, Sapir Medical Center, 59 Jabotinski Street, Kfar Saba 44288, Israel.   Cluster headache is a rare, clinically well-characterized disabling disorder that occurs in both episodic and chronic forms. The very painful short-lived unilateral headache attacks are associated with autonomic dysfunction. A large number of drugs such as ergotamines, steroids, methysergide, lithium carbonate, verapamil, valproate, capsaicin, leuprolide, clonidine, methylergovine maleate, methylphenidate, and melatonin are considered beneficial for prophylaxis. Nevertheless, this extremely painful condition is occasionally refractory to conventional treatment. The antispastic agent baclofen has been shown to possess an antinociceptive activity. Its efficacy in neuralgias, central pain following spinal lesions, painful strokes, migraine, and medication misuse chronic daily headache suggests that it may be useful for prevention of cluster headache attacks. Therefore, we treated 16 symptomatic patients with cluster headache with daily baclofen, 15 to 30 mg, in three divided doses for the cluster period and 2 weeks after. Within a week, 12 patients reported the cessation of attacks. One was substantially better and became attack free by the end of the following week. In the remaining three patients, the attacks worsened and corticosteroids were prescribed. One of these was also given verapamil. Three of the 16 patients had an additional cluster period, which cleared with a second course of baclofen. In this pilot study, baclofen seemed to be effective, safe, and well tolerated for cluster headache, and seemed to retain its efficacy on repeated clusters. "

From my experiance Soma is useless for CH,except for mabye helping
to sleep through a shadow or very low level hit.Technichally Soma is
not addicting but it is VERY VERY habbit forming.Be CAREFUL with it!!!
Enough soma to kill a higher level hit or make you sleep through a
high level hit would most likely stop your heart first!!!!! Soma is a
smooth tissue muscle relaxer.Your heart is a smooth tissue muscle!!!!!

As far as I know,Baclofen is the only one that has been studdied in
connection with CH.I do know of one person who swears it works for
him,but I know many who have tried it with no success.

Whatever you decide to try,PLEASE only take it as it is prescribed
by your doctor!!!!!!!!!

IP Logged

CostaRicaKris
CH.com Old Timer

Currently training for
AFC half Marathon

San Diego, California
Reply #3 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 10:34pm

Flexeril is on the long lists of drugs I tried during the many years before I was diagnosed. It didn't do a thing for me.

Visit my website: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register   to learn more about Girls on the Run, a non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running.&&&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Vida
WWW kris.morris17 CostaRicaKris  
IP Logged

Superdave
CH.com Veteran

x0|Conroe|USA||0|0|TX,Texas
Reply #4 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 7:04pm

I survived ch for years on muscle relaxers such as soma. Aborting an attack with soma is like putting the beast in a box and saving him for later. Although it was good for aborting, take enough and I could sleep through the night. Live to work another day so to speak. I also was strung out on zanax, a lot easier as far as rebound headaches go, I had to take more and more of it to stay ahead of the clever bastard. Eventually all of these tranquilizers and muscle relaxers seem to catch up with me and I would have to go off of them for a week or so before they would work again. It was bad news

All in all these types of drugs did nothing more than put me in a coma for the night so I could sleep. At the time it was the only way I knew to survive. After finding a Doctor that recognized the symptoms of ch, and learned to medicate myself properly my life has been a lot easier.

Superdave

Wow! you mean it's just in my head?

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jun 17th, 2008 at 6:01pm

Anything like that that makes me drousy would only trigger the bastard demon. Never relax...ever.
Good post there SuperDave. What he said.
Muscle relaxers are not a treatment for CH.
thebb

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!